Morrow Project 4ed hangup

Marc17

Validated User
Hello, long time MP player here (since ~'82). I have a copy of 4E I'm looking at (the pre-release KS edition) but will probably have to fill in some of the blanks with older editions or my memory.

When Bruce Edwin Morrow came back from the future* with knowledge the the world was headed towards nuclear war, he also brought back future tech including fusion power plants and cryogenics. The fusion power plants are basically small self contained engines so that one installed in car give you a car that never needs refueling as the requirements are either easily extracted from the air or so little over its working life as to not need refueling. The cry sleep chambers may slow metabolism to zero, but for all intents and purposes, you can consider the people in them frozen solid with the eggheads left to discuss if this is really the case due to the efforts it takes to keep the things that normally would kill an organism when frozen from actually happening.

Yes, the original plan that everybody accepted when the joined the MP, was that they'd be frozen and be woken sometime after a nuclear war, five years usually as there was nothing that could help dampen the scale of destruction in the wars aftermath, or the die off due to the destruction of civilization as we knew it. The MP personnel would be woken and help rebuild.

Rumors have it that there is a Prime Base that will stay awake and do all the awakening. Something must have happened because the wake up calls never went out. At least not en masse. Now, 150 years later, power plants are failing, the environment is causing issues with the bolt holes, and perhaps some messages are being sent out. MP personal are being woken and thrust out into the world with no knowledge or guidance as they were supposed to receive. The world has already rebuilt itself to some extent, with a general equivalent to early 19th century tech (pre-civil war).

Each team had their own speciality and missions they were supposed to preform. While many military personnel were included, the actual military arm of MP, MARS, are fairly sparse. Teams are supplied for self defense in a PA world similar to Mad Max. They would typcially just have enough provisions for a short amount of time as there are also command and automated supply bases that should be there for support. Recon teams would wake and report to Prime or region command base. Then military, science, or other teams would be activated as needed. Many of these teams are things like agricultural, medical, industrial meant to help locals rebuild and jump start civilization after any really dangerous situations had been take care of.**

Despite the game being very gun heavy, the actual hard part of the game was always put out there as capturing the hearts and minds of the locals. The idea was the a lone MP team that did not make friends with the locals and gain their trust was essentially dead meat. (Can you tell this game was made by a Vietnam vets?) Usually, the locals were pretty nice people who had a problem with slavers, bandits, strange autonomous tanks, glowing zombies, etc. so if the PC didn't screw everything up seriously through personal actions, they had a pretty easy time of it. by time their ammo ran out, they'd have friend and be able to do their actual job and help the locals plant crops, get medical attention and training, and build up their manufacturing capabilities.

*Psi powers are a part of the games background, but I've yet to ever be in a game where they actually were encountered.

**I have heard of games where the MP team was something like an agricultural team with a bunch of college educated farmers (some with military experience, of course) with fusion powered tractor and bulldozer, who found themselves having to become the heroes of the local people as they're being invaded.

Last edited:

Marc17

Validated User
this helps, but now I'm wondering - maybe I need to look elsewhere.
Depends on what you are looking for. MP could make for a very Fallout type game. They've got about the same amount of verisimilitude and PA gonzo. Depending on what you want there are other PA games. Twilight 2000 would make for a good really gritty PA game soon after the apocalypse. Rebuilding is what the games I have been in lead to but there are few rules for doing such. Apocalypse World is out there and makes for more player driven cinematic game and is currently in vogue.

TimeLine

Retired User
Marc17, good synopsis of the game. Thank you for that.

Brian, we are of the age that we can easily change anything we do not like about a particular setting. If you want reconstruction to happen earlier then just do it in your game. I will not be offended.

briansommers

Validated User
I do realize that. Would the rest of the game hold up if say they woke up in ten or twenty years? I thought it might make other things wonky or broke, but then again I never actually sat down and tried it for that matter so I guess I have that comin' to me, LOL.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I suppose the automatic weapons was due to the assumption revival would occur quickly "post event" - 150 years was an... Erm... Technical glitch and never the intention?
Correct. It was supposed to be about a tenth of that time. I imagine its a bloody pleasant surprise to everyone waking up that the coldsleep tubes that they kept working that long. Count on the Project to overengineer things...

Faethor

Validated User
One would consider the likelyhood of the projects foresight to include using both common (civilian issue) and compatable ammo - so it would be more likely to find as salvage and if ammo became limited as it was expended or as numbers of allies grew who require arming, bullet rationing could be introduced - smg's could be swapped out for handguns, machine guns swapped out for rifles?

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I do realize that. Would the rest of the game hold up if say they woke up in ten or twenty years? I thought it might make other things wonky or broke, but then again I never actually sat down and tried it for that matter so I guess I have that comin' to me, LOL.
I think it would change the dynamic considerably if you're dealing with still living members of the first generation there.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
One would consider the likelyhood of the projects foresight to include using both common (civilian issue) and compatable ammo - so if ammo became limited as it was expended or as numbers of allies grew who require arming, bullet rationing could be introduced - smg's could be swapped out for handguns, machine guns swapped out for rifles?
For the most part the Project ammos were pretty common amidst weapons, if you ignore the oddity of the magnum revolvers.

But honestly, the biggest thing that usually lead to was the little game called "Let's find out what condition the Cache is in."

Faethor

Validated User
We do hit on the [traveller] tech level issue.

In an environment which lacks both the equipment and the expertise to repair and recreate sophisticated devices low tech wins - due to its durability and relative ease to repair and manufacture replacement parts.

Being in the science division is fine, lacking the correct precision made equipment for specific task still presents a massive hurdle.

So the irony, if equipment was being sourced while it was relative lowtech -eg. Jeeps and crystal radios, long term success is greater then with today's luxury gadgets which have a limited user life, hard to replace specific technical parts and are one hard knock away from scrap.

Top Bottom