• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mournblade vs. Lightsaber

Ron

Validated User
Back to the original point.

Fred, if ever play your adventure and I got Mournblade in my character's hand against a Jedi I might try to convince you that, as it is an energy absorving blade (at least in the books the sword is quite capable of absorving people life energy and transfer it to Elric), Mournblade could absorve the light saber energy, turning it off, at the first parry.

What do you think?

N

NPC lucid

Ron said:
Back to the original point.

Fred, if ever play your adventure and I got Mournblade in my character's hand against a Jedi I might try to convince you that, as it is an energy absorving blade (at least in the books the sword is quite capable of absorving people life energy and transfer it to Elric), Mournblade could absorve the light saber energy, turning it off, at the first parry.

What do you think?
They absorb souls but I don't remember them absorbing other forms of energy.

Bruce Baugh

Writer of Fortune
It seems to me that there is one (1) obvious and suitable outcome: a lightsabre and a runesword clash with much flying of sparks and no actual damage to either. Possibly to the wielder of one or the other, of course.

N

NPC lucid

Whollyrandom said:
Surely Traitor was the incarnation of the Eternal Weapon for Corum, rather than the Hand and Eye ..?
Maybe. The hand and eye are what he uses to deal with the various gods though. Well, they use him which is typical of the various incarnations and their weapons.

Traitor? Was that his sword? I don't remember that part. I remember he had a longsword but I don't remember it having a name or any special properties.

N

NPC - Another Moorecock fan

You haven't read the second Corum series

Yes, Traitor is Corum's incarnation of the Black Sword, and it is from the second Corum Trilogy. Hawkmoon's incarnation of the Black Sword is not a sword at all, it is the black gem implanted in his forehead by the evil empire. The Black Sword is not always a weapon in the traditional sense. "Fear" is the entity in the Tanelorn books that actually powers all of the Black Sword incarnations. I haven't read the Dragon in the Sword for many years, but I don't remember the Dragon's body being used to create the blade, I remember that the two blades were created to hold power, and that the Power of Fear was embodied in one (Stormbringer) and the Eternal Dragon was trapped in the other (Mournblade).

Yes, Moorecock's ideas definitely changed and evolved over the decades in which he wrote. How could they not? The original Eternal Champion novel was The Eternal Champion (can't remember the original title), and Moorecock envisioned it as a tragic love story, not a reality spanning fantasy novel. In the Eternal Champion the Black Blade has no mind or demonic presence, but it kills anything it touches with an evil black radiation. Of course, after WW II many people considered radiation to be the ultimate evil power, so it makes sense in context of the cold war time period when it was written.

Now, as to your question: Obviously, there is no right answer. I have played in several of these Pan-reality games, one of which was run by a man who is in serious competition for the title "THE Moorecock Fan". Obviously, he used a lot of Eternal Champion stuff. How you treat the Lightsaber/Mournblade conflict should depend on your story, not on the supposed qualities of the two items.

For example: If the character with Mourneblade is an incarnation of the Eternal Champion (and they are the only ones who can use the Black Blades) then he can not be separated from his sword, it is part of his fate. If the sword were somehow destroyed, he would (probably in some very tragic way) acquire another incarnation of the blade. He can't avoid it, it's what Champions do. If he's just a character using a magic sword, then you don't have these issues.

Of course, what you really have here is a case of magic vs. technology. To say that a light saber can cut through anything is silly in a game where technology is not the only force in the universe (or multiple universes). I would say that a magical blade could easily resist a light saber, they do not operate under the same laws. Decide how magic and technology interact in your game, come up with a story appropriate resolution, and go from there. Any character with a really powerful weapon (either Jedi or Champion) will bitch when it doesn't perform as expected, so deal with them with your story, not your game mechanics.

N

NPC lucid

heh he heh he

You misspelled Moorcock.

I have the first Corum series but I haven't read the second one. Explains why I can't remember that Traitor thing.

If I was playing an incarnation of the Enternal Champion and someone hacked through my version of the black word like it was a normal sword I would be non-plussed.

AikiGhost

Keetoom of Dooom!!!
Validated User
Light sbre Vs Mournblade

Obviously mournblade would win as a lightsabre needs a jedi to wield it, whereas Stormbringer and Mournblade can controll themselves. (Not entirely serious here)

I think that and of the hellblades would not only be capable of resisting a light sabre but would also be capable of either running down the poer cell, or draining the life force of the LS weilder.

The Hellbaldes are universe changing items not just "hero gear".

Luck,

N

NPC - Another Moorecock fan

bad speleling

I hapepen to like writing witeh exetranious "e"'s.

artofmagic

Banned
Fred said:
Hi,
I'm foreseeing a situation in my pandimensional "everything goes" campaign in which there will be a confrontation between a character who wields Mournblade (Stormbringer's twin) and another who's a lightsaber-swinging Jedi.

So, would the lightsaber be able to cut Mournblade in half. I'm inclined to say so because I can't recall any passage in the books that states the runeswords are specially resistant, but it feels wrong...

Opinions?

Tchau!
I basically think they are both magical items, so Mournblade would not be cut in two, it has spirit rating so it resists domain effects, like force blade.

Anything goes system must generalize things, like Magic equals high-tech.

Top Bottom