• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mournblade vs. Lightsaber

Jared A. Sorensen

New member
Banned
All that I know is that this is an excellent conversation starter for a first date.

***

You: So, how's your food?

Her: Oh, it's great. I'm so glad we got a table here...

You. Yeah.

*uncomfortable silence*

You: So...uh, Mournblade or Light Saber?

***

I GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT BE SLEEPING ALONE!

- J, handy dating advisor
 
N

NPC E.

Guest
Surprises are good...

Reading this thread I was thinking about different-genre and different-author matchups. Usually there's a tendency to say "they're about equal." That's what the Marvel/DC cross-overs I always read did... Hulk's == Superman and Teen Titans == X-Men.

No one can complain about that; it's fair.

Something that might be more interesting, though (And would really bring out some cool possibilities for multi-verse/genre mixing) would be to make *sure* there are surprises...

For example--

Rule that a lightsaber in the hands of a Jedi channels the "force" which is (sort of) a universal "soul." Mournblade eats souls, so when the Jedi parrys, Mournblade tries to devour the entire "light" side of the universe.

Have Mournblade start to grow and distort. Have it howl in pain/rage/omniscent power. Have it blow like an overloaded fuse, or transform (they're demons, right--trying to suck down the whole world might reveal its true nature)

Another possible ruleing that might be interesting:

At the end of Stormbringer, didn't Elric summons hundreds of black swords or something like that? Or maybe they were all images of Stormbringer (read the books like... 20+ years ago). Anyway, I think Stormbringer and Mournblade have friends.

Maybe the light-saber's cutting up Mournblade (doesn't cut right through it, but is slowly wearing it down), and it starts calling out for "air support" and now the Jedi has to fight 50+ black blades...

Anyway, whether you like these ideas, the suggestion is that you come up with really unexpected (but faithful to the source material) rulings. You know--blow their (the players) minds :)

Sounds like a fun game,
E.
[ http://jagsgame.dyndns.org/jags/index.jsp ]
 

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Surprises are good...

NPC E. said:

For example--

Rule that a lightsaber in the hands of a Jedi channels the "force" which is (sort of) a universal "soul." Mournblade eats souls, so when the Jedi parrys, Mournblade tries to devour the entire "light" side of the universe.

Have Mournblade start to grow and distort. Have it howl in pain/rage/omniscent power. Have it blow like an overloaded fuse, or transform (they're demons, right--trying to suck down the whole world might reveal its true nature)
That's an interesting idea. I'll consider it, but I'm sure one of my players (the one wielding, or wielded, by Mournblade) will not be happy. :)

NPC E. said:

Maybe the light-saber's cutting up Mournblade (doesn't cut right through it, but is slowly wearing it down), and it starts calling out for "air support" and now the Jedi has to fight 50+ black blades...
That's interesting too, but I fear 50+ runeswords attacking the players (somehow I doubt they will just attack the Jedi) will surely end the campaign. :D

NPC E. said:

Anyway, whether you like these ideas, the suggestion is that you come up with really unexpected (but faithful to the source material) rulings. You know--blow their (the players) minds :)
You inspired me. I'll see if I can come up with something unexpected.

NPC E. said:

Sounds like a fun game,
It is! My players seem to like it too. :)

Tchau!
 

Fred

Surely you jest, Mr Fred
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jared A. Sorensen said:
All that I know is that this is an excellent conversation starter for a first date.
<...>
I GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT BE SLEEPING ALONE!

- J, handy dating advisor
Good one! Since I'm single again, I'll try it. I'll let you guys know if it works. :)

Tchau!
 
Top Bottom