• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mouse Guard vs Bunnies and Burrows

Murlocactivist

Validated User
Hello, all! I've recently been trying to get my girlfriend into some pen and paper roleplaying games. She has some experience, but not much. I got to brainstorming some games she might like. Knowing that she has a weakness for cute furry things (granted, who doesn't to some extent?) I came to two options thus far: Mouse Guard and Bunnies and Burrows. I have access to both, but haven't read much of the rules or played them at all. So I'm not sure what to focus my efforts on. On one hand, Bunnies and Burrows is shorter in length, but considering its age that doesn't necessarily mean less complex or easy to teach. The game would most likely be 1 on 1 as well, which would be another hurdle. So, I have a couple questions regarding this: which one is easier to teach/run? and which one would be best for 1 on 1? If you guys have any other suggestions that may fit the bill, let me know!

Thanks!

JRoss

Validated User
Use the fluff from Mouse Guard but the rules for Andrew Medeiros' The Woodlands. I can't imagine anyone being drawn to this hobby if their first impression was the rules for Mouse Guard.

JetstreamGW

Seeker
Validated User
I don't know anything about Bunnies and Burrows, but I've never heard anything good said about Mouse Guard's rules.

Someone else might have more useful things for you. For my part, I don't know if it's helpful, but I'd sooner suggest Pugmire.

I was going to link you to it, but apparently it's not available for purchase on DTRPG yet? But I know for a fact that FLGS that pre-ordered it have gotten them, 'cuz my local store has at least two copies on the shelves right now.

It's essentially very similar to D&D 5th edition, in a post-post apocalyptic fantasy world, starring uplifted dogs, cats, etc.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
I was going to link you to it, but apparently it's not available for purchase on DTRPG yet? But I know for a fact that FLGS that pre-ordered it have gotten them, 'cuz my local store has at least two copies on the shelves right now.

It's essentially very similar to D&D 5th edition, in a post-post apocalyptic fantasy world, starring uplifted dogs, cats, etc.
I think they're releasing the PDF post-Gen Con. The Early Access version is still up there, though.

Bankuei

Master of Folding Chair
Validated User
For a brand new person to RPGs, I would probably pick something like Primetime Adventures or The Pool, both of which are genreless systems - easy enough to learn quick but adaptable for anything.

My friends and I have had great times with Mouse Guard, BUT:
1) We've read the Mouse Guard comics, and we know it's basically Game of Thrones meets Rats of NIMH - kinda dark & hardcore
2) You have to get the basic flow of the game involves using your own traits against yourself - your character getting into fights, sometimes doing the unwise course of action, in order to get resources to win when it counts.
3) There's system mastery - which isn't always friendly to newcomers.

- Chris

Derrick Kapchinsky

Validated User
I don't know anything about Bunnies and Burrows, but I've never heard anything good said about Mouse Guard's rules.
Really? That's surprising because I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Mouseguard until this thread. It's a fairly light version of Burning Wheel, but it's still Burning Wheel. So it's pretty baroque. It's a solid game (and the 2nd edition boxed set is gorgeous), but I still might not use it to introduce someone to the hobby.

Lighter options include the aforementioned Warren, the Secret Lives of Cats (there's probably more than that for Fate, but I can't think of any right now), Call of Cathulhu, and (if you'll forgive a shameless plug), Epyllion. Any of those would suit her interest in adorable animals (or in Epy's case, adorable baby dragons) and are all really newbie friendly.

Simon W

Validated User
I'd go for Return of the Woodland Warriors (which is OSR-style) or, if you don't want "armed tool-using critters, Tales from The Wood. Both available on RPGNow for a reasonable price. But then, I would recommend those two!

Harvesters (Troll Lord Games) is in the same vein, as is The Rabbit Playing Game (Grey Area Games). Rabbits & Rangers (Random Order Creations) is much more cartoony in style. All are pretty good value on RPGNow.

I'd probably go for any of the above ahead of Mouseguard (which looks the prettiest but is probably the most fiddly in play) or Bunnies & Burrows (a bit "past it" now).

BigJackBrass

Two Separate Gorillas
Validated User
My personal preference would be Bunnies & Burrows but using Fudge rules. Fudge is simple and free, plus it has excellent rules for scale which can be important when your character is the size of a rabbit.

Fudge designer Steffan O'Sullivan is a big Bunnies & Burrows fan and has a few pages of info and character stats over on his website. There's also some useful background here.

Top Bottom