• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Movies] The 2019 Box Office Report

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
I've had the the theater start to clean up to the point of getting to where I was sitting and just stand there. This was at a movie with a known post-credit scene. Sometimes the theaters just don't care and want people out.

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
The few times I go to the theater anymore, I stay through the credits just to give the mob a chance to get through the doors, use the lavatory and exit the parking lot so I don't have to wade into that.

Also, it's occasionally useful for necking with my wife in the back like we're still in college.

austenandrews

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think I'll go see it again. I meant to see it a second time but never got around to it. Extra scene is a nice push to get me off my butt. (Might be setup for Far From Home but who knows.)

Hunter

Validated User
TOY STORY 4 lands at the top of charts, to no one's surprise, but...:

Disney and Pixar's Toy Story 4 topped the weekend box office and did so with the franchise's largest opening weekend yet, but even it seems to have been bitten by the summer's sequel slump as it too delivered well below studio and industry expectations. On top of that, UA Releasing's Child's Play finished in second place while also missing forecasted pre-weekend expectations.

With an estimated $118 million, Disney and Pixar's Toy Story 4 topped the weekend box office, though fell well short of the studio's $140+ million expectations, not to mention Mojo's lofty weekend forecast. The performance is, however, the best of the franchise, topping Toy Story 3's $110.3 million opening back in 2010 and fourth largest animated opening ever, which are hardly milestones you can ignore. It's also worth mentioning this is the third largest opening weekend of the year, giving Disney the top four openings of 2019.

Also in Toy Story 4's favor is some of the best reviews of the franchise to go along with an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences. On top of that, the film has a long runaway ahead of it as the next major family film isn't until July 19 and it is yet another Disney picture in The Lion King. It also isn't until the mid-August release of Sony's The Angry Birds Movie 2 that another animated feature hits theaters, giving Toy Story 4 plenty of room to breathe.

To go along with strong reviews and an "A" CinemaScore, the film played to an opening weekend audience that was 52% female and 45% of the crowd was aged 25 or older. Looking at Pixar's last ten releases, the average multiplier is 3.44x, which would suggest a domestic run for Toy Story 4 over $400 million and looking at the animated studio's past June releases, that multiplier goes up to 3.56x, suggesting a possible domestic run over $420 million.

Internationally, Toy Story 4 brought in $120 million form 37 markets, representing ~64% of the overall marketplace and a $238 million global launch. The top market was Mexico, where the film opened with an estimated $23.4 million, representing the third highest opening of all-time in the market behind just Avengers: Endgame and Avengers: Infinity War. From there, the UK was the second largest opening with $15 millionfollowed by China ($13.4m), Brazil ($9.6m), Korea ($8.5m), Argentina ($6.9m) and Australia ($6.1m). The film will open in France and Italy next weekend followed by openings in Japan (Jul 12) and Germany (Aug 15).

UA Releasing's Child's Play delivered a second place finish with an estimated $14 million. Heading into the weekend the film was tracking similarly to Universal and Blumhouse's Ma, which debuted with over $18 million just a few weeks ago, and even the film's Thursday night previews ($1.65 million) suggested it was well on its way to a similar opening. However, it was unable to sustain its momentum and came up shy of the $16-18 million pre-weekend expectations. The film carries a reported budget around $10 million and received a "C+" CinemaScorefrom opening day crowds.

Exits show Child's Play played to an audience that was 52% male and 61% were over the age of 25. These demos are important when you consider Ma played to an audience that was 53% female and only 53% were aged 25 or older as we look ahead to next week, which sees Annabelle Comes Home arriving on Wednesday. That film should play to a crowd similar to Ma, leaning a bit younger and playing to a larger female audience, perhaps allowing both to pleasantly coexist for a couple of weekends.

Landing in third position is Disney's Aladdin with an estimated $12.2 million, dipping just -29.5% as it enters its fifth week in release with a domestic cume just shy of $288 million. Internationally, the film added nearly $33 million this weekend for an overseas cume that now totals $522.6 million and a global tally topping $810 million.

Sony's Men in Black International is already cratering after a disappointing debut last weekend, dropping -64% in its sophomore frame with an estimated $10.75 million and a domestic cume that now totals just over $52 million after ten days in release. Internationally, the film added just over $30 million for an international cume topping $129 million and a worldwide total just over $182 million.

Rounding out the top five is Universal and Illumination's The Secret Life of Pets 2, which dipped -58% in the face of Toy Story 4's debut, with an estimated $10.3 million for the weekend. The film's domestic cume now stands at $117.5 million as it enters its third week in release. The film also added another $10.8 million internationally this weekend for an overseas cume that now totals over $77 million and a global tally just shy of $195 million.
Summer 2019 is starting to look like the place where good movies go to die...

draco86x

Summon Azathoth
Validated User
You want to talk about going to die, Anna debuted at 11, under Shaft's second week. Granted, Dark Phoenix and MiBI both deserved to die undignified deaths at the box office. Toy Story 4 should have choked Aladdin out of the theaters though. I managed to catch it Friday and there where 4 people in the theater. Freaking Wonder Park did better than that in a similar day/time slot. It's the second worst personal premier I've been to in a year, only beaten by Wandering Earth where we were alone in the theater.

Strange Visitor

Grumpy Grognard
Validated User
Yeah, I'm afraid I think Dark Pheonix was much better than its reputation. It had problems, but I've seen much worse movies do much better.

Nihtgenga

Actually likes daylight
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Toy Story 4 being disappointing by having the best opening of the franchise is the definition of having unrealistic expectations.

Hunter

Validated User
File this under "better late posting this than never"...

SPIDERMAN: FAR FROM HOME delivers record opening!

It has been a while since we saw a sequel deliver on expectations, but, this weekend, Sony's Spider-Man: Far from Home delivered the largest six-day opening ever for a Tuesday release, leading the weekend box office and helping the top 12 outperform the same weekend last year for the first time in four weeks. Meanwhile, A24's Midsommar delivered the largest indie opening of the year while landing just outside the weekend top five.

Sony's Spider-Man: Far from Home delivered a #1 finish at the weekend box office as Marvel still proves mighty. The pic debuted on Tuesday last week, entering the weekend with over $91 million already in its coffers, and over the three-day it topped that figure, bringing in an estimated $93.6 million for a six-day start totaling over $185 million. The performance is the largest six-day opening for a Tuesday opener and 22nd largest six-day performance of all-time. This is on top of the film already delivering the largest Tuesday opening day ever, not to mention the second widest opening ever as it debuted in a massive 4,634 locations.

It's difficult to compare the film's debut to 2017's Spider-Man: Homecoming given the Tuesday debut, but after six days Far from Home is already out-pacing its predecessor by over $30 million. The film is also a hit with audiences, just as it was with critics, earning an "A" CinemaScore from opening day crowds and currently sitting with an 8.1/10 rating from IMDb users. Opening weekend crowds were 60% male with 42% of the overall audience coming in aged 25 or older.

Internationally, Far from Home debuted in three markets last weekend and this weekend expanded that reach to all but Italy, where the film will launch this coming Wednesday. After a strong start last weekend the webslinger delivered $244 million from 66 markets this weekend for an overseas cume that now totals $395 million and a global tally reaching $580 million. Top market debuts include Tuesday's launch in South Korea where the film has brought in $33.8 million. Additionally, the UK's six-day launch totals $17.8 million and Mexico delivered $13.9 million in four days. The film began playing on Monday in Australia where it has now delivered nearly $12 million and Russia added another $9.6 million. The film's top overseas market is China, where it opened last weekend, and this weekend the film's cume now climbs to over $167 million.

Disney and Pixar's Toy Story 4 moves to second place in its third weekend, bringing in an estimated $34.4 million, pushing the film's domestic cume over $300 million to $306.6 million. Internationally, the animated feature delivered over $43 million this weekend for an overseas cume that now stands at $343.4 million and a global cume that now totals $650 million.

Universal's Yesterday dipped just -37% in its second weekend, bringing in an estimated $10.75 million and pushing its domestic cume to $36.8 million after ten days in release. Yesterday also added seven new locations internationally this weekend including France ($1.3m) and Spain ($1m), and brought in nearly $8 million from 35 markets now in play. Overall the film's overseas cume now totals over $20 million for a $57 million global tally.

WB's Annabelle Comes Home landed in fourth with an estimated $9.75 million, dipping -52% in its second weekend as the film's domestic cume now tops $50 million after 12 days in release. Internationally, the film added over $20 million from 9 markets this weekend for an overseas cume just shy of $85 million and a worldwide total creeping up on $135 million.

Rounding out the top five is Disney's Aladdin, which added another $7.6 million this weekend as the film's domestic cume now totals over $320 million. Internationally, the film brought in another $16.2 million this weekend as the overseas cume climbs over $600 million for a worldwide total that now totals over $921 million.

Finishing just outside the top five is A24's Midsommar, which opened on Wednesday last week and delivered an estimated $6.56 million for the three-day weekend while finishing with nearly $11 million for the five-day frame. The film received a "C+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, which is actually an improvement over writer/director Ari Aster's Hereditary, which enjoyed a 3.2x multiplier last June.
It doesn't look like there is much out there to challenge Spidey this weekend, so expect to stay atop the box office for a while...

Top Bottom