• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Movies] The 2019 Box Office Report

hippokrene

Validated User
Toy Story 4 does the best in the franchise despite the last movie coming out in 2010 = Disappointment

Man, Disney is Hollywood's evil empire this decade, isn't it?

Anyways, it's hard to see Spider-Man: FFH 'record opening' as anything more than a marketing spin. There's no competition for Tuesday openings.

Matchstick

Validated User
That Endgame expansion boosted the film a lot more than I thought it would.

Endgame is at $2,780,800,139 after this weekend. Avatar's worldwide record is $2,787,965,087.

So, less than $8 million to go to claim the record. Can't imagine there's any way Disney isn't going to make sure it gets there at this point.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That Endgame expansion boosted the film a lot more than I thought it would.

Endgame is at $2,780,800,139 after this weekend. Avatar's worldwide record is $2,787,965,087.

So, less than $8 million to go to claim the record. Can't imagine there's any way Disney isn't going to make sure it gets there at this point.
All they needed to do was give us the Luis Recap and it would be there already. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t - was Michael Peña too busy on another project?

counterfactual

Validated User
All they needed to do was give us the Luis Recap and it would be there already. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t - was Michael Peña too busy on another project?
Somewhere in all the MCU/Endgame threads there was a report of, "Of course it will be a blu-ray extra," but I can't provide a cite.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Somewhere in all the MCU/Endgame threads there was a report of, "Of course it will be a blu-ray extra," but I can't provide a cite.
I recall reading the same thing. But why did they wait? I would have gone back to see it in the theaters again if they had included it instead of an unfinished deleted scene, and I suspect I wouldn't have been alone.

Matchstick

Validated User
The Infinity War Luis Recap always seemed like a bit of a pipe dream to me, because it's not something you can't really throw together after the fact.

Remember, those aren't just Michael Pena monologuing to himself. It features all the other actors in very specific settings mouthing Pena's dialogue. You'd have to pre-plan for that, I think.

Last edited:

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
But it's a fun bit, so some of the actors will be on board just for that (paging Chris to the white phone, Chris to the green phone, and Chris to the blue phone).

Hunter

Validated User
Spidey tops the box office again while TOY STORY 4 continues to "disappoint".

It was a repeat weekend for last week's top two films as Sony's Spider-Man: Far from Home topped the weekend while nearing $850 million globally and Disney and Pixar's Toy Story 4 found itself in the runner-up position while becoming the fifth largest Pixar release domestically ever. As for the weekend's new wide releases, both played mostly to expectations with Paramount's Crawl finishing in third and Disney's release of Fox's Stuberlanding in fourth.

Sony's Spider-Man: Far from Home delivered a repeat performance atop the weekend box office, bringing in an estimated $45.3 million, signaling a -51% drop as its domestic cume now stands just shy of $275 million. Meanwhile, the film added $100 million overseas this weekend, pushing the global cume just shy of $850 million after 17 days of release. Far from Home's $572.5 million international haul now makes it the highest grossing Spider-Man movie internationally, topping Spider-Man 3's $555 million overseas total. China remains the film's top international market where it's estimated cume currently stands at $191.8 million along with South Korea ($49.7m), UK ($28.6m), Mexico ($24.1m), Brazil ($18m), Australia ($20.1m), France ($14.8m), Indonesia ($15.9m), Russia ($17m) and Germany ($11.1m).

In the runner-up position for the second weekend in a row is Disney and Pixar's Toy Story 4, dipping -39% for an estimated $20.66 million. The film's domestic cume stands at $346 million as it enters its fourth weekend in release, now ranking as the fifth largest Pixar release domestically of all-time.

Internationally, Toy Story 4 added $48.1 million for an overseas cume that now totals nearly $425 million and a global tally topping $771 million. Among the weekend's new markets, the film debuted in Japan with an estimated $15.3 million, setting the highest Disney Animation/Pixar opening of all-time in the market. The film also opened in Hong Kong with an estimated $4.6 million, which also served as a record for a Disney Animation/Pixar title. The final key market where the film has yet to release is Germany where it will open on August 15.
Next weekend THE LION KING is released!

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
This is ridiculous. Spidey might be hitting $1B early the week after this. Now I have to look up the fastest to $1B records.

Top Bottom