• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
With the group of exiles able to see leylines and nodes, through the eyes of a Theurge, they split up to map them. Knowing there is a node somewhere in the downtown, and one of the leylines involved, makes it somewhat simpler.

Sonata and Sitala find the northern head of the leyline that runs by the bank. It is a solid golden beam of Nostalgia, or perhaps Tradition is the better translation of the supernal symbols. It is known that several such leylines—or more accurately branches of a particularly large one—runs along the east coast, pinned in the older cities of the US. This could just be a similar line sharing the resonance of that main one, but it has the distinct characteristic of it as well—the fixation on loss and the desire to reclaim it. Distressingly, the point at which it becomes strong enough to consider a proper leyline capable of forming a node, is in visual range of the looming gateway that demands submission to the Eye to pass through.

It doesn't take that long south to find the first spot where a leyline should be but simply isn't. Near an old trainyard, the main one being followed avoids diversion but shows the signs of anticipated intersection. But the intersection never comes. The expectant emptiness increases nearer the trainyard, diminishing away from it. There are other lines elsewhere—detectable at a distance—but there may also be other such empty spots among them. Places where something should be, or perhaps was.

Meanwhile, Ness and Táltos orient themselves towards the presumed intersecting leyline. On the eastern edge of town, where the newest subdivision is, they find the gleaming flow. It relentlessly pushes west, exerting an almost palpable pressure to move onward. The appearance of it seems to be following the progress of the sun, fitting perhaps for a line screaming out Progress and Advancement. It does indeed align with the decaying main drag of the city, which in light of the spiritual torrent that runs through it can be seen as the remnants of an invisible flood.

A network of weak leylines is in the subdivision, a tangled web that forms a weak Node without a Hallow. It is a Node of desperate, grasping aspiration, of seeing only the immediate at the expense of the further. There is also, in the older subdivision closer to the city, an empty spot, as if the leyline that once ran through there got torn away. In its absence some of the relentless flow of the main leyline seeps out, but not enough to fully replace what went there.

There are other noticeable lines, but at a distance too great to detect their nature. There aren't any other noticeable gaps along the east / west line.

OOC:
I'm assuming you all are sharing information via text or something until I shutdown those avenues. If you want to look further at a particular area, just say so, the choices are really what you want to extract info form before things start to roll forward / you stumble into something else / decide it is time to check out something else.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Táltos considers the gaps in the leys with some consternation, concentrates and speaks some words in High Speech. "Any idea what could've produced those?" he asks Ness.

OOC: Dropping out of the group Sacred Geometry--using Counterspell if need be--and casting a new one on himself, incorporating Fate 1 and Time 1 in case those reveal any weird-ass phenomena in the same way that Death 1 would reveal Avernian Gates and Spirit 1 would reveal Loci. 1 Mana. Reach for instant casting, advanced duration, advanced potency, revealing Hallows. Shadow Name and High Speech yantras.
Paradox (contained): 3d10h8! 2.
Containing Paradox: 7d10h8! 3. 2 resistant Bashing.
Sacred Geometry: 6d10h8! 1.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
The golden flows vanish, and soon in their place are odd patterns of flowing vapour. These occupy more than just the space that the leylines did, tracing phantom paths of where they once were and will be. In particular the main line seems attuned to these things, feeling inevitable in its placement and course, a mandate imposed by itself. Others seem more at the mercy of the surroundings, and producing a complex history of the location. A Node once existed nearby—where ugly resentments of some sort flowed—but it has been scrubbed away without any modern trace of its Node or line.

The empty spots, however, show something different. These were lines unmade not because of events' normal flow. These suggest an additional depth to time, strata of histories piled atop one another, and somewhere in those depths if one could reach them, the line that once was could be found and perhaps an explanation of why it no longer is.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"This is nuts," Táltos says to Ness, and describes the layered histories he's seeing. "I'm a little too wiped-out to study it properly right now--gotta bookmark it." He shakes his head. "Let's check that subdivision for Hallows, I guess, and report back."

OOC: Táltos is out of Willpower until he either sleeps or fulfills his Vice or Virtue. Focused Mage Sight costs a willpower. Oh well.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As they walk along the ley line north of the bank, Sonata chatters away about her plans for finding a proper home in Lemuria, and the things that she considers vital. "The right ambiance is essential. I want to establish a sanctum, and it's absolutely imperative that the atmosphere won't run straight against every single spell I try to cast. I mean, can you imagine trying to call upon the power of the Aether in a soulless monster of a house like poor Ness is stuck with?"

As they reach the first of the blank spots, Sonata's running monologue dries up. "How odd. There should be another line coming through somewhere here, but it's ... not." Frowning, she chants in High Speech and focuses on the ley line they've been following, trying to see if there's anything wrong with it.

OOC:
I'm trying to 'diagnose' the ley line we've been following to see if there's anything wrong with it, by using a Knowing spell on it. Prime 1, primary spell factor is duration (based on equivalent spells in Life). 3 free reach. Spending 1 reach to maintain a spell beyond my gnosis limit, and 1 for instant casting. Dice pool = 8 (prime 3, gnosis 1, high speech 2, concentration 2), for 2 succcesses. The spell will last for 3 turns or until Sonata stops concentrating.

Gareth3

Validated User
Ness frowns as Táltos describes what he's seeing. "Is that natural or artificial?" He suddenly grins. "Ha, I realise that's a difficult question, what with spirits and physic impressions and so on. What I mean is, do you think a Mage deliberately did this, or is could it happen spontaneously?" He texts the question to Sonata too.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As they walk along the ley line north of the bank, Sonata chatters away about her plans for finding a proper home in Lemuria, and the things that she considers vital. "The right ambiance is essential. I want to establish a sanctum, and it's absolutely imperative that the atmosphere won't run straight against every single spell I try to cast. I mean, can you imagine trying to call upon the power of the Aether in a soulless monster of a house like poor Ness is stuck with?"
Sitala is a captive audience and not too pleased about it. She follows along, wearing a loose red salwar kameez ensemble with a red-and-gold dupatta over her hair and a thick application of deep blue blush, lipstick, and eyeshadow that suggests more than replicates the usually-depicted skin tone of the devi she emulates. "I live in a fifth-floor apartment without an elevator," she comments flatly at one point. "The ambiance is people living around me."

As they reach the first of the blank spots, Sonata's running monologue dries up. "How odd. There should be another line coming through somewhere here, but it's ... not." Frowning, she chants in High Speech and focuses on the ley line they've been following, trying to see if there's anything wrong with it.
She tries to Look herself, mostly for anything messing with Space or the spiritual dimensions of the place.

OOC: 1 Wp for mage sight, and I think rolling Space in is 1 mana, right?

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What I mean is, do you think a Mage deliberately did this, or is could it happen spontaneously?"
"That much, I may be able to tell," says Táltos, and concentrates.

OOC: Supernal Vision, 1 Mana, reach for instant casting and interpreting non-Supernal, 2 Paradox pool (contained), shadow name and concentration yantras, 6 spellcasting pool.
no Paradox
2 spellcasting successes
Is the absence Supernal in origin?

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
By the trainyard, the impression of what should be there but isn't resolves itself in Sonata's senses oddly. It isn't a wound, but something that never was there even though it should be. Like a branch of a tree that failed to grow, this leyline never came to be. There is an implication of the whole metaphysical landscape being stunted somehow.

To Sitala's gaze, the Primal Wild seems oddly distant. The spiritual forces of the place seem depleted—likely because the Essence here shares that same used up quality as the bank. There is less overall, but it is noticeable. However, it is the sense of territory that is most troubling. There simply isn't a sense of territory. It is as if the concept of ground, distance, and the sort of sympathy that connects that which is distant is dulled here. Or perhaps understood differently. It is hard to tell as parts of the area of absence, especially towards the old train yard, refuse to be seen as part of the Primal Wild. They do not deny or destroy, or even distort, the Truth as the Abyss might. They simply belong to some other thing that will not be known as Ecstasy or Singing Paths.

Near the subdivisions, exhausted as he is, Táltos can draw more knowledge from the world. Supernal symbols form themselves under his gaze. They show the substance of the Lie—the rude mechanics of material reality—and place the absence cause as something intimately of the fallen world and its inner workings.

Top Bottom