• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

Gareth3

Validated User
Ness is skeptical that the coffee shop is any better for doing magic, but follows Sonata there anyway. When he gets Taltos' text he invites him to the coffee shop too. As they walk along the street he points at a Starbucks.
"The hotel itself didn't feel weird, so it's not just "business". But Starbucks is a publicly traded company. If it's something about the stock market, maybe we'll get the same uh, vibe off it. You try it too."
He hesitates, wondering what exactly to do. It's not as if he was actively looking for anything wrong with the stock ticker. After a moment he shrugs and stares at the Starbucks across the street, his eyes unfocused.
Spoiler: Show
Active Mage Sight, Mind and Space. Intelligence+Occult 7 dice (Under Character Name "Orpheus") 4 successes

Last edited:

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sonata greets Sangita warmly. "Good morning! Sit down, and let me get you a coffee - there's no better way to start the day!"

Turning to Ness, she says "And for you as well, of course. I'll join you in staring at the Starbucks once I've got the essentials taken care of".

Heading up to the counter, she orders three large coffees, and carefully checks to make sure she's handing over the right notes to the barista. These wretched dollar notes all look the same... As she waits for the drinks, Sonata activates her active mage sight, looking at the tip jar and notes with forces and prime.

Naxuul

Emo hair power!
Validated User
Akia wraps up her research for the day, deciding a trip to the preserve might be in order. Probably with Sangita since this sounds like the kind of problem that could use some spiritual expertise or just ass kicking. Checking her phone she sees the other texts and replies back with 'Meet up would be good. Any suggestions where is safe to talk in town?'

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Táltos studies the glyph a little further. Is it an imago framework? Could he, for instance—assuming he had the requisite Practices—fill in his name, and cast it? Or is it some stranger Supernal thing?

Regardless of the result, he tucks his hat and amulet away in his work bag. Douglas drives to Paula's, parks, and walks in carrying the bag.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sonata greets Sangita warmly. "Good morning! Sit down, and let me get you a coffee - there's no better way to start the day!"
Sangita smiles graciously at Sonata, not pointing out that she's already started and finished her workday. "What's the weirdness you're looking for?" she asks Ness.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Gazing at successful franchises is always a bit odd for Warlocks—all the locations are sympathetically tied to one another, and individual ones are wreathed in their branding which struggles endlessly to keep local perceptions inline with corporate's dictates. Ness sees nothing to indicate the struggle is playing out differently than usual; whatever is causing the odd issue around finances is not afflicting business chains or publically funded companies.

Sonata sees the reality of the cash in the tip jar—the labour of many imprisoned in material form, governed by economic laws that reflect the movements of commerce's angels—and it seems clean of the current influence. However, other instruments of payment are nearby, and while they too share some of the underlying qualities of cash, they connect to a broader and murkier world. A world where other sorts of math and rules takeover. And as another customer is rung through, Sonata experiences something like nails on a chalkboard—somewhere in that complex chain the Dominions and Mandalas of the Aethyr are being defied or preempted.

Gareth3

Validated User
Ness frowns. "Huh, nothing." He smiles at Sangita as she enters, and points to his phone. "It started with stock results on the news. Nothing clear, it just felt off. We should..." He trails off as he sees Sonata react to the cash register. "I think we've found something stronger."

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sonata returns to the table, carrying a tray of coffee cups. She quietly related what she saw, saying "There's something up with the card payment system - it sounded wrong when that woman's order went through." She frowns, and looks at Ness, "All clear at Starbucks, I take it?"

Sonata drums her fingers on the table. "I'm going to take a closer look at the next transaction."

OOC: Sonata will use focussed mage sight the next time someone pays with a card

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
OOC:
Failed to reply to Rook, so putting it at the top of this one.

As near as Táltos can tell, the glyph is not an Imago. It looks far more like someone's attempt at recreating the more complex examples of High Speech from the Time Before. Without knowing its source, it isn't clear what exactly the object of imitation is, but it is clear that this is a byproduct of something else and incapable of making change on its own. Nor is its formulation close enough to how one would constructor a grimoire or other such captured Imago to learn from.

Under the more intent gaze of Sonata, it is clear that transactions with cards are stamping out minor Mysteries—flickering irregularities pinned to the receipts. It isn't the payment terminal itself doing it, but by some strange connection to things further away it is leaving a mark here. There is something about the connection, the action, and the rest that's not quite right. Not Abyssal, that generally isn't subtle, but also at once alien and strangely familiar to Sonata.

OOC:
I'm presuming the focus is on the payment terminal. It is an Obscurity 2 Mystery to get what can be gotten from the payment terminal.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sonata stares intently at the counter, watching closely as a young man pays for his latte.

OOC: Sonata scrutinises with focused prime sight. First roll gets 1 success, and I'll spend 1 mana to get another. That reduces the opacity to 1. Second roll gets 3 successes, which reduces the opacity to 0. Reveal gets 2 successes. Total cost 2 WP, 1 mana.

Top Bottom