• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Douglas takes a seat near the other mages. Sonata's efforts to Scrutinize the cash register glow in his Peripheral Sight, and he nods. "I was going to say, I found something interesting, but by the looks of it you've found it too."

For some reason, at 9 AM on a Monday, he's dressed in fetish club gear—barely legal for street wear. He doesn't seem to notice the looks he's getting from some of the customers.

Gareth3

Validated User
Ness nods at Sonata's question. "Yes, Starbucks was clear. So it's not 'big companies'. Let me try something." He searches in his jacket pocket and pulls out a letter with an AME Financial debit card stuck to it, never used. Someone has scrawled ONLY FOR MYSTERIUM EXPENSES on the letter. He peels it off the letter and hands it to the others. "This has never been used, but it's activated and linked to an account with a few thousand. See what you can get off it."

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Douglas leans away from the card. "I don't want to put my game face on with everyone watching. Also, I'm tuckered out after digging through this." He pulls out the folded receipt from earlier, smooths it on the table. "See this in the corner? Someone's laying the foundation for something big, shifting the time stream somehow. It's not too late to put it back, though." He looks around. "Anyone seen Rapunzel? I could use her help with something."

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
As soon as Ness pulls out the card, it is obviously off. Not strong enough to constitute a Mystery or clear trail into such, but enough to help zoom in on what everything is centering around.

From the POS, Sonata sees a glimpse of what is causing the oddity noticed earlier. The Dominion of exchange that should be present and directing all of the action is being suborned, forced to filter itself through some other structure—its nature not obvious as it is at a remove from Sonata. What she can see is its shadow, and how even though it left this transaction more or less intact, it doesn't have to. Whomever controls it could do more than simply hack or otherwise interfere with financial records, they could declare new truth for them, and the Lie would simply accommodate.

The Snark

Lewis Carroll Refugee
Validated User
Nobody has ever been able to prove that Rapunzel habitually uses Time magic to pop up at particularly dramatic or ironic moments, but it wouldn't surprise anyone who's known her longer than a week. "Hi Taltos. You guys found the debit card thing too, huh?"

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Yeah," Douglas says. He repeats what he said a moment ago for Rapunzel's benefit, adding, "I think the two of us should try to summon an Anachronism.

"By the way, folks, you know we're going off the ranch by not turning this over to The Bridge immediately? Not that I wouldn't slap anyone who suggested it, I just want everyone to be clear."

The Snark

Lewis Carroll Refugee
Validated User
Tracy blinks innocently. "Turning what over to The Bridge? All I know is I got a funny feeling from anyone who wasn't paying cash this morning. I wouldn't want to bother her if it turns out to be a silly little thing." She sits down and scoots her chair over closer to Taltos, peering at the receipt. "You think it's a Time thing? I was getting a Stygia sort of feeling. But maybe that's just 'cause it's about money."

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sangita is mostly watching the others talk back and forth - whatever this was, it seemed not to intrude much on Life, which took it out of her strongest area of expertise. Space, on the other hand...

"The whole world is connected through money," she observes, grumbling a little. "Maybe someone's trying to tie things up so they can tug it their own way."

Gareth3

Validated User
Ness nods. "Yeah, we haven't really seen anything yet, no need to bother Bridge." He looks at the card again. "Never been used, but it still feels off. That means it's not the POS machine or the person using it. That leaves the bank and the factory that made the card itself. I assume no-one wants to go to China right now, so why don't we try the bank? We can pair up and apply for loans. Mortgages, small business, whatever. Scan everything while we're inside."

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Good idea, but I need to change clothes first, and type up some kind of bullshit business plan if I'm going to apply for a small business loan," says Douglas. "Meet at the bank at 11:00?"

Top Bottom