• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [MtAw] War on the Iron Pyramid

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
OOC:
Everyone give me Wits+Composure, or +Empathy [Body Language or similar], penalized as appropriate by engagement with Mage sight, plus an additional -1 applicable even to those not in Mage sight.

The older man looks at Ness and gives him the sort of confused look that long tenured professors give when Freshmen dare come to speak with them at the end of a lecture. "Very poor. Though if you're a new customer I suspect they'll be quite eager to shuffle you into their system." At this the woman gives him a slug on the arm and glares at both him and Ness. "Chase grampas somewhere else asshole." She has an amazingly strong British accent, but not a posh one, not at all.

Far more disorienting than the woman's unprovoked rude remark is the supernal view of the pair of them. It looks like they are Matryoshka dolls of Auras, bound together by strange internal chains of sympathy instead of the usual interrelation of layers of a person. In addition, some of the Chains seem almost cauterized, and then bound up in the new ones as if to keep them from straying out into the world. It is a disorienting and unfamiliar phenomenon.

OOC:
Their nature is a Mystery, which I should have flagged for Rook as well. It is Obscurity 3. While they each have their own deal going on—i.e. it is obvious that if you were to alter the effect on one it wouldn't automatically hit the other—it is also transparently the same sort of thing.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: I assume I had to drop active mage sight to cast Crafter's Eye, so that's one success on Wits and Composure.

If Sonata sees something fishy about the people Ness is talking too, she'll cast Pierce Deception. She has prime 3, and so has 3 free reach to spend on instant casting, advanced duration, and extra info from the spell. She'll use her gold rimmed mirror and high speech as yantra, giving her a 7 die pool, and two successes.

If the wits and composure was for something else, or 1 success isn't enough, ignore the spell.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Peering into the truth of matters, Sonata, can tell that while the two people Ness is talking with aren't lying actively per se they operate in a strange zone in which the question is less relevant than usual. There's something persistently off about them in that area, pushing strange almost supernal symbols that are difficult to interpret. What is clear is even if they're being honest about things, they're not regular patrons.

Supernal Vision
Spoiler: Show

There's a huge amount to take in. This is generally true but here it is especially the case. Starting with the waiting area, specifically the cello brought in with the woman, it has the sort of heft of reality of an Artifact without being so. It feels connected to something sort of supernal, but not something that can easily be resolved. It seems to be something of Fate made manifest through Matter instead of Time.

With that gaze in mind, there's an element of that connection with the pair of people as well. It is a more complex but weaker connection in their case—the cello seems to only exist on account of that, whereas the people's current conditions aligns with it.

Along those lines, many of the oddities in the area seem to lean on similar principles. The ruling idea of this place is about the arrangement of things, a plan for things, the rules that they follow that make them what they are—and how the arrangement of things informs the rules of how things unfold. The Mist here isn't quite Arcadia's Mists—it is more like steam or smoke, an exhaust from the running of a vast and secret apparatus. Sifting through the area reveals more and more of those contours—how evaluations of those signing papers leans on that, how even getting cash out depends on it.

Thinking of things like a shaman, it is clear that the supernal connections here are mediated by some powerful intercessor. Most of the supernal symbols are seen as if projected on a screen, arranged in a way they wouldn't be elsewhere in blocks reminiscent of what appeared on the receipt. Magic clearly pushes through and works as it should, but after the radiance of the supernal manages to cross the Abyss, it must pass through the intercessor here.

As he's called to his meeting, Douglas, puts together the larger view with the little things about the place into a coherent picture. If the Lower Depths are like bullet wounds in phenomenal reality, whatever looms behind this place is like the casing that would produce those bullets.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Douglas is silent long enough to make the loan officer nervous. Just before security is called, he stands up, says "I apologize for wasting your time, sir. I wish you a good day," and walks briskly out of the bank. By the time he gets to his car, he's almost jogging.

What the fuck is going on here?

He sends a mass text to the other mages:
+Secure meetup needed. Ness's place?+

OOC: I claim a group arcane beat for making progress on Táltos' Obsession.

Gareth3

Validated User
Ness grins at the woman, having obviously thought of a clever comeback. But then he changes his mind and turns back to the old man, ignoring her. "I'm a new customer, yes. But I'm asking for a loan, not depositing money. Everyone's more cautious about that these days. And my business idea isn't exactly Apple Computers. What are you here for?"
Wits+Composure -2 for Mage Sight, -1 = 1 die 0 successes

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sonata nods in agreement as she reads Taltos's text. + A good plan. I'll leave with Ness. Don't think we should be alone in this place +

Sonata browses through the leaflets the bank has on offer, trying to be surreptitious as she watches Ness and people he's talking too. A part of her contemplates trying to scrutinize them with focused mage sight, but the peculiarities of the bank put her off.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
The woman is glaring at Ness, getting more intensely antagonistic as Douglas gets his appointment. During her scowling the man answers, "Oh, they've made a mistake and are dragging their feet on talking to us about resolving it." His accent is definitely upper crust NYC.

"It's put off the whole day," the woman says, clearly trying to keep herself in check. She's also clearly tracking Douglas as he leaves the bank, though it is also clear that her eyes snap back to the loan officer who now no longer has him as an excuse to avoid them.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sitala frowns at the strangeness of it all and the impending metamorphosis. Maybe the others were getting more useful info through their own expertise.

OOC: wits 3 composure 3 mage sight -2 other pen -1: 3d10h8 0 Whiff.

With just gnosis 1 I'm not really in the habit of having a spell up permanently, and right now she's trying to be under the radar. With her game face on, she probably has Body Control up, and if she knows it's going to be A Day she'd probably ritual up Honing the Form and Body Control the night before.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
Even with her eyes open for supernal matters Sitala sees something that stands out in the phenomenal world—hell anyone with a whiff of combat experience would notice it. The big tattooed racist has an occupied holster. It is not particularly subtle, but someone who isn't experienced with firearms and those who carry them would probably not put it together. At a guess, he got it in because there's a tall, thin security guard who has a definite alt-right-ish haircut and just a bit of ink showing—Sitala can't see enough to try a full art comparison, but playing the odds…

OOC:
That is a freebie unrelated to the roll that I realized that Sitala would notice that others probably wouldn't necessarily.

Gareth3

Validated User
Despite his FBI background, Ness completely misses the armed man. He might have caught it ten years ago, but he's spent too long sitting in front of computers rather than out in the field. He frowns at the man's explanation. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." As he speaks, he reaches in his pocket and jabs the blunt knife into his own back, causing a sudden pain but no injury. Although this is out of sight of the old man and the woman, Ness watches both carefully, trying to see any reaction.
Ness is trying to see if the old man or woman can detect him casting a spell. Casting Augment Mind on Self, Mind 3 Add 1 to Wits. 1 free Reach, Instant Casting. Pool= Gnosis+Mind+Path Tool , 5 dice, no Paradox.4 successes
Does either person show any reaction? Perception (Wits+Composure-Mage Sight) 3 dice, 1 success.

Top Bottom