[MtG] Magic General Chat Thread

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
I thought that rather than have a series of threads for the various spoiler seasons, we could just have a general chat thread, where we can talk spoilers, and also stuff like the Pro-Tour.

So. SoI spoilers. Madness is back. Apparently this is a thing. Creatures seem at a higher power level than BfZ in general, which is nice.

Pro-Tour top 8 is a god damn shambles. Modern is in bad shape right now, to the point that maybe Eye of Ugin might see an emergency ban...

In other news, I'm planning to take Sultai control to the Oath game day. Should be fun.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
Re: [MtG]Magic General Chat Thread

Modern hasn't seemed healthy for while now. It's a bundle of linear decks (barely) kept in check by narrow sideboard hate and a laundry list of careful bannings. Which means every time the ban list changes or a new set pushes an existing deck over the edge, you risk tournament results like this.

Players spurned Modern when it was introduced, comparing it unfavorably to fond memories of Extended. Then there was a honeymoon period of fevered deckbrewing -"the format's wide open! Tons of powerful synergies to discover plus you don't have to jam Force of Will in every deck!"- and now it seems we've looped back to no one liking the format very much.

Last edited:

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User

So. SoI spoilers. Madness is back. Apparently this is a thing. Creatures seem at a higher power level than BfZ in general, which is nice.
Returning: Double-Faced Cards, Madness
New: Delirium, Investigate (funny), Skulk

And we get a reveal of the big story-beat: Whatever happened between Sorin & Nahiri (something not good given that Sorin totally deflected Ugin's inquiries about where she is), Nahiri blames Sorin & is out for vengeance, by hitting the thing Sorin loves most, Innistrad. It also explains why Jace, now under Ugin's tutelage, shows-up, as in following those threads.
(Mostly prefer this turn of events of the suspected Emrakul or Bolas involvement - though the later may still have had his hand in Nahiri's bitterness.)

P.S. Despite not having played the game regularly since the prehistoric age, last night showed that, still keeping-up with it as i do, i could totally fake doing so amidst regulars. :D

Last edited:

OneEyedMan

Unfortunate inventor of the Bratwurstarita
Validated User

Jace AGAIN? I swear he's becoming Gerrard Mk 2.

The PT breakdwon I saw last night showed Infect and Aggro being the most common decks around. Is that accurate? Is Control that far out of style right now? I remember when Draw-Go and the like were THE decks to beat.

And for some reason, since Aggro and Infect are so popular, a lot of folks are saying it's time to unban JTMS and Stoneforge. Wouldn't that just resurrect Caw Blade?

-J

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member

Answers in Modern are too narrow for draw-go to be viable. A modern legal counterspell reprint would go a long way toward fixing this.

I can understand the Twin banning from a printing good blue cards pov. It's the same rationale as pod; the good cards slot into an already dominant deck in such a way that they shut out other alternatives. Plus any deck running UR could slot in twin basically cost free.
Twin preyed on linear strategies though, by threatening a win at any time. Banning it without empowering midrange or control leads to linear aggro dominating.

OneEyedMan

Unfortunate inventor of the Bratwurstarita
Validated User

Gotcha. Also, I think I see the issue with Eldrazi decks. 75% of the top 8? That seems like either a major coup reading the meta, or a hint that maybe some of the cards are too good together.

Seriously though, I really miss Counterspell being a thing. Frustrating to be on the receiving end of it of course, but so is being Combo'd to hell and back.

J

gatharion

Validated User

I haven't played magic in... twentyish years or so.... But I've heard that the state is pretty good these days and my kids might be getting into a place where this could be a fun game to play with them. (We got Arena of the Planeswalkers recently.) I'm 100% against getting into the game properlike with blind boosters etc. but I've repeatedly heard positive things about the "dual decks".

Do any of you have experience with those? Are they good for casual play? Are they still being produced?

Thanks.

BarelyCoherent

Validated User

Gotcha. Also, I think I see the issue with Eldrazi decks. 75% of the top 8? That seems like either a major coup reading the meta, or a hint that maybe some of the cards are too good together.

Seriously though, I really miss Counterspell being a thing. Frustrating to be on the receiving end of it of course, but so is being Combo'd to hell and back.

J
More the latter than the former, I'm afraid. The Eldrazi decks in the top 8 came from 3 different directions, albeit around a common core. The problem, when one gets down to it, is that lands that produce multiple mana without setup (as Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple do for the Eldrazi deck) are really too much for the sort of answers Modern has available. This has been going on in Legacy with cards like Ancient Tomb and City of Traitors for years, but Legacy has much better removal and counters available.

The real problem the modern card pool has run into a couple of times, with this deck and Amulet Bloom before it and to a lesser extent the Tron decks that have been a staple of the format, is that there's limited ways in which you can interact with someone abusing lands, and all of them are bad against the new Eldrazi deck. Blood Moon is way too slow and doesn't actually slow them down as much as you'd think. Fulminator Mage is slow. Ghost Quarter is straight out ineffective. The only reason Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple weren't broken before was that low to mid CMC Eldrazi creatures didn't exist before the last two sets.

While it's early, I'd be shocked if they didn't have to ban Eye of Ugin.

I haven't played magic in... twentyish years or so.... But I've heard that the state is pretty good these days and my kids might be getting into a place where this could be a fun game to play with them. (We got Arena of the Planeswalkers recently.) I'm 100% against getting into the game properlike with blind boosters etc. but I've repeatedly heard positive things about the "dual decks".

Do any of you have experience with those? Are they good for casual play? Are they still being produced?

Thanks.
"
Duel decks are absolutely great for casual play. They make two of them a year. The next one, Blessed vs. Cursed, comes out near the end of the month. The other product to look for are ones labeled "Clash Packs". Like the duel decks, it's two decks that can be played against each other. The difference is that Duel Decks (which is what I would recommend for casual fun) tend to be more heavily themed, while the Clash Pack tend to prioritize building around recent cards so that one could make a deck that would be tournament legal in Standard out of them (not that it would be that great) while Duel Decks have cards from all over Magic's history, some of which are fine inside the duel deck but aren't always the sort of cards that show up in new sets.

zanshin

Validated User

J
I find theme decks are pretty good value for play, though variable in power (all the theme decks for a set release will not be equal).

I appreciate it may end up being a slippery slope, but you can get a lot of value by buying random collection sales or assortments of commons and uncommons on ebay. That would let your children have the deck building part of the fun, and much cheaper than buying boosters for card volume. Pauper & commander could be fun for them.

It is a great game - just somewhat expensive to play competitively.

Last edited:

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User

I play casually and play almost nothing but Duel Decks/Clash Packs these days*. I find they're really good if you just want to play MtG. They're worthless though if the thing you like about MtG is deck contruction.

* I have a few constructed decks, but they don't really follow any format (technically I think they're all Vintage and Legacy compliant, and one of them is Modern compliant). It's more just to try things out. I often play in multi-player free-for-all games where having the most overtly strong deck often means you're the first person killed as everybody else gangs up on you. Duel Decks actually work really well for this kind of game since they have a "middle of the road" approach in their construction.

Top Bottom