• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[MtG] Magic General Chat Thread

Stork!

Wish I was a hippo.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I've been more or less out of the game for a while but I've been following the Ravnica spoilers out of curiousity. I remember a while back WotC moving away from instant speed card draw to curb the worst excesses of draw-go control so I was surprised to see them here. Have I just missed it in other sets recently or is it a newish thing here? Have they addressed why they think it'll work out this time?

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
IIRC the reasoning was that without instant speed card draw control decks didn't have the power they needed to be relevant, which did bad things to the metagame.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, there's a few experiments in the Ravnica sets so far. White gets (limited) card draw via Dawn of Hope, it seems like Orzhov will be the primary token-creature guild for the next set for a change, letting instant speed draw be a thing again...

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
So the Factory format on Arena is good fun. I like magic. I hate deckbuilding. So the random creature tokens let me have all the janky combo creature fun without putting too much thought into it.

Vargen

Validated User
So I've been more or less out of the game for a while but I've been following the Ravnica spoilers out of curiousity. I remember a while back WotC moving away from instant speed card draw to curb the worst excesses of draw-go control so I was surprised to see them here. Have I just missed it in other sets recently or is it a newish thing here? Have they addressed why they think it'll work out this time?
Counterspells are more expensive and/or situational than they used to be, and Wraths tend to be either conditional or more expensive. And they've been making active efforts to give control decks good finishers so that the games don't drag too badly once the control player takes over the game. They're also not afraid to print cards like Carnage Tyrant, which is a 7/6 creature with trample and hexproof that can't be countered. As for the draw spells themselves, they've gotten a better handle on how Instant and Sorcery draw spells affect a format and will take that into account when designing them.

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
They also seem to not be afraid of giving Aggro or Midrange tools to fight a resurgence of control strategies. You can look at Gruul primarily in Ravnica Allegiences to see the possible tools including instant modified fight spell that also targets planeswalkers, can't be countered, you can get hexproof on your turn, creatures can be granted haste, etc.

Also on the other end, better wraths, better card draw, finishers, tempo plays, etc.

In addition to other strategies including combo enablers, better burn spells, better mana dorks, etc.

Top Bottom