• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[MtG] Magic General Chat Thread

Praxias

10th Level Lurker
Validated User
Specifically regarding Arena, I've found that the single-game match setup has me a lot more willing to just walk away if I have a matchup that looks bad, boring, or is something my deck doesn't have the tools to fight. Kind of a "This won't be fun so the hell with it. *poof*".
I've been guilty of doing the same thing, so you're not alone in that.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I generally play until I've exhausted my outs, although I've been fortunate to not run into the "no win con other than looping Nexus of Fate with a Teferi emblem" decks. Or worse, the ones that can't do anything BUT loop Nexus over and over and hope you concede.

Keep in mind I love playing control myself, but my current brew is a white/black thing that I hope the new set will supercharge a bit.

OneEyedMan

Unfortunate inventor of the Bratwurstarita
Validated User
My current dislike is for mill decks. I just don't have the cards to defend against it, and it's a slow, grinding game. So the second a mill enchantment hits, I'm pretty much ready to bail. I'll fight through control decks, I'll take my lumps from heavy beatdown. But mill just isn't any fun to play against for with the cards I have, so I don't see the point in wasting my time, especially since it's just casual one-shots done during lunch break.

Praxias

10th Level Lurker
Validated User
I generally play until I've exhausted my outs, although I've been fortunate to not run into the "no win con other than looping Nexus of Fate with a Teferi emblem" decks. Or worse, the ones that can't do anything BUT loop Nexus over and over and hope you concede.
Been there, played those, went "Fuck it, you win."

My current dislike is for mill decks. I just don't have the cards to defend against it, and it's a slow, grinding game. So the second a mill enchantment hits, I'm pretty much ready to bail. I'll fight through control decks, I'll take my lumps from heavy beatdown. But mill just isn't any fun to play against for with the cards I have, so I don't see the point in wasting my time, especially since it's just casual one-shots done during lunch break.
*Eyes his blue mill deck and surreptitiously slides it out of sight.*

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
I won't call it the ultimate solution, but if you're playing any green, you could do worse than stick a Gaea's Blessing or two. As a Dominaria uncommon, it's dirt cheap in real life (it's also been reprinted a number of times), and of course on Arena it's just a wildcard away.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
Or Thrashing Brontodon.

My personal bugbear is 'six lands, Teferi, untap two for counterspell'. I'll shoot him to see if they have it, but my cursor is already hovering over the Concede button waiting for the Sinister Sabotage.

OneEyedMan

Validated User
*Eyes his blue mill deck and surreptitiously slides it out of sight.*
[Unknown Armies] YOU DID IT. [/Unknown Armies]

In real life, I have no problems with milling. I mean, if I'm playing face-to-face then we're laughing, having a good time, it's no biggie. But if I'm 25 gold away from another pack, and I'm facing a mill deck with whatever jank I have (and I have to admit I suck at deck building so they're ALL jank) and I see mill enchantments that I can't get rid of hit the field, that's when I reach for the Loud Handle

I won't call it the ultimate solution, but if you're playing any green, you could do worse than stick a Gaea's Blessing or two. As a Dominaria uncommon, it's dirt cheap in real life (it's also been reprinted a number of times), and of course on Arena it's just a wildcard away.
I'll have to look into that. My mono-green was my go-to until I got a quarter-way not too awful R/W going. Maybe I should revisit the Lean Green to see if it can use those.

OneEyedMan

Validated User
I'm starting to wonder if this is a part of Standard Format: I'm seeing a lot of the same basic types of decks over and over. Some variation, but a lot of the same ones (W/B Vampires, G/W Aura, Mono-U Mill, U/G Merfolk) and not a lot of rogue creations.

Is that kind of how standard always is: a few builds become the base and rogue builds just don't show because the environment is set up to support certain decks?

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
WB Vampires, GW Aura, and UG Merfolk are three of the preconstructed decks that Arena players get for free after they complete their starting challenges. Mono-color strategies like Blue Mill and Red Aggro are popular because they don't require spending 8 rare wildcards on lands.

Standard does lean toward known decks, but the ones you're seeing are more a byproduct of Arena's economic model.

Walker

Happens often
Validated User
I'm starting to wonder if this is a part of Standard Format: I'm seeing a lot of the same basic types of decks over and over. Some variation, but a lot of the same ones (W/B Vampires, G/W Aura, Mono-U Mill, U/G Merfolk) and not a lot of rogue creations.

Is that kind of how standard always is: a few builds become the base and rogue builds just don't show because the environment is set up to support certain decks?
Also quite common for people that are not heavy deckbuilders to just dust off the pregens when its time to a daily challenge.

If you are playing ranked, some hardcore players, have already taken a few guesses at the meta in the different tiers

Top Bottom