• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MtG] Magic General Chat Thread

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
From a commander perspective, plainswalkers are good with setup, doubling season/fish or other shenanigans,such as a decree of annihilation after sticking an Elspath. Otherwise they’re mostly small lifegain and a sorcery. There’s a couple of the command walkers who can do a couple of things well but they’re not above the others in their tier.

SpaceNinja

Validated User
From a commander perspective, plainswalkers are good with setup, doubling season/fish or other shenanigans,such as a decree of annihilation after sticking an Elspath. Otherwise they’re mostly small lifegain and a sorcery. There’s a couple of the command walkers who can do a couple of things well but they’re not above the others in their tier.
Other than commander Planeswalkers, I've seen a Planeswalker being played once in Commander. And it was off the table when the next player got to their turn. Never felt threatened by them in that format.

Teapot

Drunk
Validated User
Other than commander Planeswalkers, I've seen a Planeswalker being played once in Commander. And it was off the table when the next player got to their turn. Never felt threatened by them in that format.
The threatening ones are the ones that go off with doubling season. A lot of the emblems might as well say you win. But those only work if someone is allowed to keep a doubling season. Though wizards has been better about that lately.

Last edited:

Yo! Master

"Delicious"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Whatever else, keeping PWs alive in free-for-all multiplayer, as Commander is, can be quite a hard endeavor.

Vargen

Validated User
People tend to over-react to planeswalkers in commander. Well, not really, but they can usually be taken out by creatures without having to expend cards, so the opportunity cost to killing them feels really low. If you’re playing any then you want to play a lot of them. Eventually people will get tired of going all-in on knocking them out and will focus back on furthering their own game plan. Then you’ll get to have one or two of them hang around to do their thing.

You can also play Jace Beleren. Everyone likes the symmetrical card draw and nobody is that worried about maybe getting milled for 20 once in a 100 card format.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
Elspeth has won games for my girlfriend's Commander deck. But every active card in that deck either kills creatures or makes chump blockers (including Elspeth, who does both) so it can actually do a credible job of defending her. Or at least forcing someone to have an appropriate removal spell.

In a more conventionally themed deck, on a table with the usual clutter, there are usually enough random evasive critters lying around to axe your 'walker before you can untap with them.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, my blue-white superfriends deck (helmed by Teferi's daughter, from the Dominaria Teferi planeswalker deck) uses stuff like Sphere of Safety, but mostly relies on having too many out to snipe.

Vael

Validated User
There's a Superfriends deck in my meta, and I've often wanted to make a Superfriends Commander deck. They can be frustrating to face, Doubling Season cannot be allowed to survive or you're just in for a miserable time. They also can slow the game down, as activating a few walkers takes time. But they are killable, and that superfriends deck still lost after getting off Dovin's Ult.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, there's a reason mine is Blue/White, so while I can do some Oath of Teferi/Chain Veil nonsense, plus a bit of proliferate or Clockspinning, I feel between that and using a powered-down Planeswalker deck planeswalker as my marquee it's more fun and fair (while still powerful, because blue/white).

That said, I do one day want to run five-color Superacquaintances. The deal is it's a "superfriends" deck using only 'mostly worse' or very niche versions of the cards you'd find in a standard five-color superfriends deck that was just looking to stomp a table, although not so hilariously out of tune that it can't deliver an enjoyable game. I.e., your planeswalker package includes such luminaries as Tibalt, Tezzeret Master of Metal, Sarkhan the Mad, instead of Skullclamp or Gilded Lotus I'm running Bonesplitter and Pyramid of the Pantheon, and my land package is all of the snow dual lands from Coldsnap, all the 'slow' lands from Tempest, and not even so much as a Command Tower when Rupture Spire is right there.

The only Jace is Living Guildpact and the only Teferi is his Isle, and the commander is Progenitus because if I can get to 2 of each color mana I deserve a 10/10 protection from all the things.

Top Bottom