[MtG] Magic General Chat Thread

Vargen

Validated User
Yeah, there's a reason mine is Blue/White, so while I can do some Oath of Teferi/Chain Veil nonsense, plus a bit of proliferate or Clockspinning, I feel between that and using a powered-down Planeswalker deck planeswalker as my marquee it's more fun and fair (while still powerful, because blue/white).
Well, powerful because Blue. White has issues in Commander. The Command Zone podcast people proved it with math.

Not that I place a whole lot of stock in their conclusions. I mean, I believe the math and trust the methodology they used, but my latest commander brew is a Boros deck (the color combination least likely to win according to their survey) packed full of board wipes (the sort of effect that makes the whole table hate you, according to my own experience).

Trust me. My playgroup deserves it. Commander is where we go full-on evil. If we want fair games then we'll draft something.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
I don't think color breakdowns are that meaningful in Commander. The cardlist is so large that the most you can say is "this color has X broken card draw engines, while that color only has Y", which matters somewhat if you're building a mono-color deck, but only dictates how many ways you can choose to accomplish something otherwise. It's hard to end up in a color combination that doesn't have enough tools to do what you want.

Vael

Validated User
So, I've been thinking about War of the Spark. 36 Planeswalkers, and one in every pack.

First, what weird predictions or guesses about these planeswalkers would I make? A few:
  • Walkers with only negative loyalty abilities. We're expecting a few of these characters to die, I'd say a few of those will be cards without positive loyalty abilities. These Walkers might only have two abilities. Imagine a Blue walker with 5 loyalty, and -1 Unsummon, -2 Draw a Card.
  • Walkers with static abilities or Enter the Battlefield triggered abilities?
  • While we'll probably get Rare Planeswalkers, I'm not sure about Uncommon Walkers.
  • Proliferate as a returning mechanic in the set?
Second, I've been trying to colour balance the walkers. Assuming 2 Mono-Colour Walkers and 2 Two-Colour Walkers, that's 30 of them. Nicol Bolas will be Grixis, Karn and Ugin will be Colourless. That leaves 3 other Walkers that could be other configurations or extra options. I'm guessing either Ajani, Samut or Huatli will be given a Naya coloured card.
  • Mono White: Gideon is a given. Also, I'm guessing the other will be Teyo Verada, one of the four new characters.
  • Mono Blue: Again, Gatewatch, Jace is a given. There's a lot of other options here: Tamiyo, Teferi, Narset could be mono blue easily.
  • Mono Black: Liliana, Ob Nixilis
  • Mono Red: Chandra. After that, we have a host of other options. Tibalt, Jaya, Sarkhan are all possible. Jaya Ballard is my guess.
  • Mono Green: Nissa, Jiang Yanggu, Vivien Reed.
  • Azorius: We have three options. Dovin, Teferi and Narset. We might get a Jeskai Narset instead.
  • Dimir: Ashiok and Davriel Cane (new character)
  • Rakdos: Angrath, and I'm going to guess we're getting a Rakdos Tibalt.
  • Gruul: Domri for sure, lots of options, we've got Arlinn Kord, Samut and Huatli.
  • Selesnya: Ajani, probably. Again, Huatli or Samut could be here.
  • Orzhov: Kaya and Sorin
  • Izzet: Ral and Saheeli
  • Golgari: Vraska for sure, not sure about others. Neither of the unidentified walkers look very Golgari in their stained glass art.
  • Boros: Not sure, but Nahiri and Huatli are options.
  • Simic: Kiora for sure. Maybe Tamiyo?

Last edited:

SpaceNinja

Validated User
While we'll probably get Rare Planeswalkers, I'm not sure about Uncommon Walkers.

Yeah, they will probably come in Rare and Mythic Rare, but imagine getting a Common rarity Planeswalker. I can't imagine how bad it would have to be at that rarity. Or how Pauper would change after that.

Vargen

Validated User
War of the Spark is the Planeswalker set the way Dominaria was the Legendary set. You'll note that there weren't any common legendary creatures in Dominaria. I think Pauper will be fine.

My guess is we'll get a cycle of Planeswalkers at uncommon, with the rest split between rare and mythic depending on how that fits them into the set. Though I'm not sure if there will be one for each color or if they'll be the ten 2-color uncommons that they use for "draft signposts."

SpaceNinja

Validated User
War of the Spark is the Planeswalker set the way Dominaria was the Legendary set. You'll note that there weren't any common legendary creatures in Dominaria. I think Pauper will be fine.

My guess is we'll get a cycle of Planeswalkers at uncommon, with the rest split between rare and mythic depending on how that fits them into the set. Though I'm not sure if there will be one for each color or if they'll be the ten 2-color uncommons that they use for "draft signposts."
You are right about the Dominaria-like style, War of the Spark being a Planeswalker set as Dominaria was Legendary set. I'm sure there will be Planeswalker at the uncommon rarity and no common Planeswalkers, but I was saying hypothetically having common Planeswalkers, they would have to be bad to be balanced.

SuperG

Validated User
Common 'Walkers wouldn't need to be bad, just not balanced around being able to removed.

e.g.

Dovin, Reconsidering His Life Choices (2WU)
Planeswalker - Dovin
-1 : Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains Flying until your next turn.
-2 : Draw a card.
-4 : Exile target creature.
[4]

As for Pauper "anti-Planeswalker cards" - there's a few that can target non-land or non-creature permanents. If it were to hypothetically relevant.

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
The issue with common planeswalkers isn't so much power as it is complexity.

Bluntly summarising this article, there are three main kinds of complexity: "what does this card do", "how do these cards interact", and "what's the best way to use this card". Planeswalkers basically have all three: you need to figure out which abilities will give them the best utility, how that will influence the board state, and, for new players, figure out what this type of card does and how it works at all.

For a comparison, here is a list of all the commons from Ravnica Allegiance. None of them are anywhere near as complex as a planeswalker would be, even assuming the common planeswalker was mechanically balanced so as not to throw Limited into chaos.

Top Bottom