[MtG] Magic General Chat Thread

ogier300

Validated User
Man, these cards look like POWERFUL magic.

Edit: The Wanderer is going to put a crimp in most Burn decks, I think.

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
It really feels like a high power level set, and in going to be curious how the post rotation Standard looks.

Catfish

Abominable Caftan
Validated User
A permanent your opponent has to spend two burn spells to kill is not a terrible place to be.

Though I think I'd rather have Gideon Blackblade, providing I'm running a fair number of creatures.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah, I see the Wanderer as a more widely-useful alternative to Revitalize vs. Burn. Keep in mind this is the kind of Standard where real decks are running Revitalize, if only in the sideboard.

So if RDW is prevalent enough in your local meta, a couple of Wanderers maindeck and sideboarded Revitalizes isn't the worst idea in the world.

Vargen

Validated User
Yeah, I see the Wanderer as a more widely-useful alternative to Revitalize vs. Burn. Keep in mind this is the kind of Standard where real decks are running Revitalize, if only in the sideboard.
You mean having two functional Lightning Bolts as well as Shock and Lightning Strike in the format distorts things? The heck you say...

Though to be fair, the fact that Revitalize is a cheap instant that draws a card is relevant in more than one real deck.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
You mean having two functional Lightning Bolts as well as Shock and Lightning Strike in the format distorts things? The heck you say...

Though to be fair, the fact that Revitalize is a cheap instant that draws a card is relevant in more than one real deck.
Sure, although we got a number of cheap instants that will do that. "Lifegain by itself is bad" has been drummed into us all so heavily it's still amusing. :)

Vargen

Validated User
Sure, although we got a number of cheap instants that will do that. "Lifegain by itself is bad" has been drummed into us all so heavily it's still amusing. :)
Yeah. Once people learn about life gain and card advantage the next step seems to be drastically undervaluing life gain as a bonus rider on another effect.

And sometimes life gain really is enough on its own. Gnaw to the Bone was often playable in Innistrad block. Sure, all it does is gain life, but in the right deck/matchup it gains a LOT of life.

Sanguine Sacrament has also seen a bit of high-level play lately, but as far as I can tell it just sits in the sideboard for Mastermind’s Acquisition to fetch if needed; nobody risks actually drawing the thing.

AliasiSudonomo

Trying to be a bird
Validated User
Yeah. Once people learn about life gain and card advantage the next step seems to be drastically undervaluing life gain as a bonus rider on another effect.

And sometimes life gain really is enough on its own. Gnaw to the Bone was often playable in Innistrad block. Sure, all it does is gain life, but in the right deck/matchup it gains a LOT of life.

Sanguine Sacrament has also seen a bit of high-level play lately, but as far as I can tell it just sits in the sideboard for Mastermind’s Acquisition to fetch if needed; nobody risks actually drawing the thing.
Well, I played it main in a Rainbow Lich deck, but that deck depended on a Nexus of Fate and it was an Arena deck so I haven't bothered reconfiguring it yet.

Qooroo

Social Justice Spellthief
Validated User

So if RDW is prevalent enough in your local meta, a couple of Wanderers maindeck and sideboarded Revitalizes isn't the worst idea in the world.
Oh, I didn't realize we were talking standard. I honestly wonder if standard doesn't have too many creatures for the wanderer to be good? It either gets killed, or ignored, depending on the situation. Best case scenario it's basically a 4-mana gain-six (or maybe a 4-mana gain 3, kill a steam-kin), and I'm not sure that's good enough?

Top Bottom