• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Multiverse: suggestions on system and meta-plot

JonSolo

RPGnet Member
Okay, let me try this again, but I'll make it less wordy to hopefully foster some discussion.

I have an idea for a multiverse campaign setting to string together some different RPG settings and worlds. The basic structure of the plot involves finding out that it's a virtual world. Once the players find this out, do you think that may make the rest of the campaign too anti-climactic, even if there are still some high stakes (kind of like dying in a dream = dying in real life, etc.)?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a rule system or other to use? I've been thinking mini-six, One Roll Engine, FATE/Fudge, Third Eye's DGS, the Window, etc., but am hoping for suggestions for something relatively rules light, but would also let me have some custom rules for "reality factor", magic, superscience, etc.

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
Savage Worlds, and look at the Suzerain setting. It's almost exactly what you want.

OR, look up the Savage Torg fan supplement.

Morrius

Banned
For this kind of setting, I would make sure that the players feel somewhat invested. That is, they still want to play by the rules. You have to watch out for 'It's not a real world, so I can do whatever I want!' attitudes.

As far as system, I must now plug my own. Check the sig.

DarkDungeons

The GM Is Your Friend.
For this kind of setting, I would make sure that the players feel somewhat invested. That is, they still want to play by the rules. You have to watch out for 'It's not a real world, so I can do whatever I want!' attitudes.
The world is virtual, the people are real. If someone dies, they die in real life.

SolomonShort

Validated User
What if it's not just the World(s) thats "Virtual", maybe the PCs were actually installed as "Autonomous NPCs", so the external reality is irrelevant to them, because they can only get there if they find a simulation of it...

Or maybe everyone has been uploaded, & being downloaded "back" into "non-Virtual Reality" is for those who prove they have abilities to be useful to society in it's war against the equivalent of the (John DeChancie) Q...

JonSolo

RPGnet Member
Thanks, guys for all the suggestions. I'll have to check out Suzerain for SW; I hadn't heard of it before.

I like the FATE rules so I'm already positively disposed toward your Impulse rules, Morrius. :)

I guess I have to establish early on that player death is the same in any RPG-- so death in the virtual space equals death in the real world as suggested.

I absolutely love your idea, though Solomon! It would really turn things on their head, even more than I had been thinking. The uploading/downloading is an interesting twist... perhaps all of this is occurring at the speed of light in the virtual world, whereas only a short time has passed since the Continuum touched down on earth or wherever.

SolomonShort

Validated User
If you don't mind dropping a few bucks, there's actually an EABA supplement based on everyone being in a Virtual World after their Internet hit the Singularity & Uploaded everyone (though no-one knows this).

People are supposed to try & become the exemplar of their chosen personality/class archetype, & their are benefits for (IIRC) trying as well as succeeding, there's also a rather weird economy, & I believe I may have stolen the download bit from it too, but I don't recall why the AI that's playing God feels the need to do so....

Ah, there it is EABA Neo-Terra @ BTRC & DriveThruRPG.

Also 2 RPG.net reviews, here & here

JonSolo

RPGnet Member
Aha, interesting take on that. The reviews don't mention the fact that everyone's been uploaded, but I'm guessing that's the Big Secret about the meta-plot. I may not use it whole cloth, but there are some great ideas here... thanks!

The one downside that has ocurred to me, if the PCs are virtual AI 'autonomous NPC' constructs of the setting, is that I might run the risk of anti-climax again. At the conclusion of the campaign someone shouts, "What, you mean, NONE of us are real? This is stupid!" I would be pretty heartbroken that I'd gotten something wrong. So maybe if they become the Archetypes, they have a hope of being Downloaded back into their original selves, thereby preserving their memories and existence, etc.?

Top Bottom