[Murakami's 1Q84] Title pronunciation (in English)

fifth_child

The devil in these details
Validated User
Clearly it is "sen-kyuu-hyaku-hachi-juu-yon."

Edit: To clarify, it's obviously a play on the pronunciation of the number 9 in Japanese. As such, attempting to transmit it directly into English is futile. You should either use the Japanese title ("Sen-kyuu-hyaku-hachi-juu-yon" or "ichi-kyuu-hachi-yon") or come up with some equivalent English wordplay, like "Neyenteen Eighty-Four" or something.

Last edited:

fifth_child

The devil in these details
Validated User
It's "ichi-kew-hachi-yon", says right on the cover.
If you read the rest of my post, you'll see that I know that. (Or, fair cop, remembered it moments after I hit the post button.)

In my experience, the "Sen-hyaku-etc.-etc." formulation is more common when pronouncing dates in Japanese (they don't do the "pair of two-digit numbers" thing with four digit numbers like we do in English), which is why I led with that. I dunno if my experience is not representative, or if Murakami was specifically going with an offbeat pronunciation, or what.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the actual thrust of my point, which is that it's useless to try to directly translate such wordplay into other languages.

hexgrid

Validated User
It's "one Q eighty four" in the audiobook.

I've enjoyed it much less than I have some of Murakami's previous works, mainly because it's too damn long for the story it tells.

Top Bottom