• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Murder Mystery games for many players?

Matias

Validated User
Do any of you know any good Murder Mystery games for many players? I have been asked to host a game for about 30 players, where most have no experience with any type of roleplaying.

The only Murder Mystery game that I am used to playing is How to Host a Murder. But these games only have room for 8 participants. I have found a couple of games online with room for many players, but haven't really found any reviews or detailed descriptions of the games.

Do you have any experience with such games?

RobMcDiarmid

P6: I know what I like
It's hard to keep more than about 12 people focused on a single mystery.

For 30, you need to have about 5-6 different plotlines going on.

In a recent murder mystery type game I played with about 14 players, there was a murder, a jewelry theft, war spies, communists, and about 4 different blackmailings all happening at the same time.

And most of those things were resolved in about 3 hours.

For 30 people, I think you'd need a good bit more.

Sorry I don't have more advice than that.

gamesgirl

Haley Productions sells murder mystery games for large groups of 20 or more: http://www.murder-mystery-game.com. Be sure to read their testimonials (they have quite a few pages of them). They have about 13 or 14 themes to choose from and you download your game right away. No waiting, no shipping and handling fees. I can tell you from experience that doing a murder mystery game for a large group of people is lots of fun and absolutely, positively doable.

I took the liberty of cutting and pasting from their website how their games work:

Depending on which mystery game you select, you'll need to provide 6-8 people to play the primary suspects. Most of Haley Productions' mysteries provide you with 2 versions of the mystery: The Know It All Version (where the suspects will know whodunit) and the Narrator Version (where you'll add a narrator to narrate the mystery while the prime suspects act it out. They will not need to know whodunit in this version).

The rest of your guests will take on the role of detective and it will be their "job" to actively solve the case by examining evidence, finding clues, following and questioning suspects - whatever it takes for them to solve the mystery. The invitation included with the kit encourages them to come in costume and in character. They have the freedom to do so or just come as themselves to enjoy the mystery. No pressure to take a role or do something that takes them out of their comfort zone.

Susan

Ryan Paddy

big picturist
Validated User
Freeform Games fits the bill:

http://www.freeformgames.com/

I've played two of these scenarios and they've been good fun. Big variety of genres.

Note that some of the games have "extra characters" that increase the official character count, often written by fans. So if you want 30 players but really like a 25-person game, you may find that it comes with at least 5 extra characters that will let you do it. The quality of these probably varies, but I've played the pirate game with a big heap of the extra characters and they worked nicely.

These are also a lot more fun than the "How to Host a Murder" games, where you just sit around reading books. In these you get up and play your character, and pretty much anything can happen. They are basically larps, in disguise as murder mystery games.

Last edited:

David Artman

Designer and Producer
Validated User
Does it absolutely, positively HAVE to be a mystery? Or just "something fun to play, in character, at a dinner party"? We all could point you to a ton of ready-to-run stuff for about those numbers, if it doesn't have to be mystery.

(I'll TRY not to talk about how mysteries in LARP are a pain in the ass and, generally, more effort than their worth! I promi--oh, hell, too late....)

Matias

Validated User
Thanks for all the tips.

Does it absolutely, positively HAVE to be a mystery? Or just "something fun to play, in character, at a dinner party"?
Not really. It just have to be some sort of live roleplaying game that won't take to long to finish (a couple of hours at most) and that are suitable for a 30 players with no experience with any kind of roleplaying.

David Artman

Designer and Producer
Validated User
Not really. It just have to be some sort of live roleplaying game that won't take to long to finish (a couple of hours at most) and that are suitable for a 30 players with no experience with any kind of roleplaying.
Mike, that's your cue! ;)

Anyone know which jeepforms are good for 30+? Matias, you can go here and begin scanning for one that supports such a size:
http://jeepen.org/games/

Long Live the King could, theoretically, support 30 players: 7 mains PCs, the King, and 20-ish Status roles--every Status card would have an actual player behind it (which might ROCK or might be kind of dull for the "underlings"). Just be sure the Status card players know that they're attached to one main PC, and get them to maybe ham it up (or not! Assassin!) when not actually engaging in the rules for their particular card. And one can have a bit of RP fun when a Status card changes hands--how will the underling feel about being stolen/passed off (though this shouldn't get in the way of the mechanical/strategic aspects of play--pur "color" only!).
http://www.white-wolf.com/llk/

HTH;
David

Mike Young

Retired User
Thanks for all the tips.
Ah, my cue. I have a few such games available for download free at: http://www.intink.com/larps

However, what you really want is "Marin County New Age Society Cocktail Party." http://www.interactivitiesink.com/larps/marin.html

Which is so very out of print it isn't funny.

But if you send me a PM I may be able to find you a pdf copy somewhere. :)

Top Bottom