• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MWP acquires the Firefly RPG license!

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Cortex+ ActionDrama ?
You know, it doesn't actually say. I can't tell if by "Cortex" they mean the actual Cortex system, or one of its spinoffs. I'm also wondering what they mean by "pick up and play", although I wonder if that means they're going to be adopting the "use an existing Marvel hero" model in some respects.

Basically, part of me is going "what will make this different from the Serenity RPG?"

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
Basically, part of me is going "what will make this different from the Serenity RPG?"
There's a few things that could change.

First of all, the options for NPCs and setting have just increased by, like, a lot. We can now have have Saffron's NPC stats, and Badger's and Jacob Early's and then there's the planets and moons that can be expanded on, plus full-on maps of the whole thing, stats for additional ships. I'm sure there'll be at least an update of the rules, if not a full revamp, to something like Cortex+.

Evan Waters

Talented Amateur
Validated User
There's a few things that could change.

First of all, the options for NPCs and setting have just increased by, like, a lot. We can now have have Saffron's NPC stats, and Badger's and Jacob Early's and then there's the planets and moons that can be expanded on, plus full-on maps of the whole thing, stats for additional ships. I'm sure there'll be at least an update of the rules, if not a full revamp, to something like Cortex+.
The thing is, they did a lot of this in sly ways- YoSaffBridge is in a module under yet another name, Jubal Early is basically the generic Bounty Hunter NPC, Badger is the Crime Boss, they reference Canton indirectly, etc.

I do see a lot of potential, though, to make it a Cortex+ game. Serenity's rules were just functional, not bad but not particularly evocative of the show/movie. Something like Leverage's roles or Smallville's virtues would really help it capture things.

Dweller in Darkness

Excelsior
Validated User
The thing is, they did a lot of this in sly ways- YoSaffBridge is in a module under yet another name, Jubal Early is basically the generic Bounty Hunter NPC, Badger is the Crime Boss, they reference Canton indirectly, etc.
Oh, definitely. They scrubbed the serial numbers off good and proper, but all the classic charactes and settings were in there. I was thinking more that in revamping the game, they can give the Badge and Jubal (man, how'd I get that name wrong?) the flavour of the characters as presented in the series, along with ideas on how to change the the flavour. As you say - make it something like a Cortex+ game where the narrative aspect of the characters and setting is drawn out more.

Top Bottom