• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

My Exalted Collection is Finally Complete

Blaque

Evil Neko
Validated User
On a couple points:

Berit is in the Dragon-Blooded book. She's not a low-born daughter of the Empress. She's like...the actual daughter of the Empress. She just was denied the opportunity to form her own Great House.

The talk on not developing personal fiefdoms weirded me out. I got a gist that's basically like...half of what the patricians in the difffernet ministeries of the Thousand Scales did, with Bal Karez being a pretty great example of this in the case of the Treasury. You also see this a bit with the more assertive Deliberative, and houses that were barely in control like Peleps and Sesus. I dunno, it feels like kind of again taking things that are there but since they're not far enough in limitted wordcount they aren't that.

I also am curious why the Blessed Isle doesn't seem good for a Solars game. The impression I got this time around is that they solidly demonstrated how effing huge it is and how easy it is to lose things like bandits, monsters, and Anathema in there. It'd not be the same story as in the Threshold, but I still can see it working just fine.

Also, Aqador being hinted as a Lunar is a bit where The Realm has bits that compliment both the Dragon-Blooded and Lunars books. The Realm as a whole will often give the Dragon-Blooded side of soemthing, while Lunars gives their side. You see this with not just Aqador (he is a Lunar it turns out but doesn't have to be mind), but also the Caul (which talks on their side of the conflict and less use of Anathema) and even the use of the term barbarian, where it's pointed out in the context of The Realm to be the term for non-Realm-derived cultures, while Lunars notes that most folks won't actually think themselves as that. A big thing for 3e to me is that one of the major world defining conflicts is Dragon-Blooded and Lunars, and I think these books together paint a pretty compelling picture of their interactions.

I also don't see any issue with a book out of character calling Lunars Anathema in context of less the Dragon-Blooded but the Realm itself. To the Realm, well, they are. And for a lot of the rest of the world too. The definition of Anathema includes Solars and Lunars regardless. I don't see an issue with it since I don't think game books are legal documents or political ones that need to avoid terms to keep some strict legalist interpretaiton of things I Guess.

SrGrvsaLot

Digital Scribe
Validated User
Berit is in the Dragon-Blooded book. She's not a low-born daughter of the Empress. She's like...the actual daughter of the Empress. She just was denied the opportunity to form her own Great House.
I was actually talking about pg 139 of this book:

"When the young daughter of one of the Empress's servants barely survived poisoning, rumor spread that the girl was actually the Empress's, begat between the two women by sorcery. The mother fled with her to Eagles' Launch, placing both in Curan's care."

You see this with not just Aqador (he is a Lunar it turns out but doesn't have to be mind)
Aw. I told you not to tell me.

I also don't see any issue with a book out of character calling Lunars Anathema in context of less the Dragon-Blooded but the Realm itself. To the Realm, well, they are. And for a lot of the rest of the world too. The definition of Anathema includes Solars and Lunars regardless.
I just don't think that the Realm book needs to be The Realm's book. This "writing supplements from the perspective of the groups they cover" thing is not necessarily I style I approve of.

Blaque

Evil Neko
Validated User
I was actually talking about pg 139 of this book:

"When the young daughter of one of the Empress's servants barely survived poisoning, rumor spread that the girl was actually the Empress's, begat between the two women by sorcery. The mother fled with her to Eagles' Launch, placing both in Curan's care."
Ah, forgot that bit. Yeah, it's a good plot hook to say the least.

Aw. I told you not to tell me.
Is it any consolation his spirit shape is a goat and that kind of does a lot to give an idea o fhis persnality when he yells at folks to get the fuck off his lawn?

I just don't think that the Realm book needs to be The Realm's book. This "writing supplements from the perspective of the groups they cover" thing is not necessarily I style I approve of.
I mean, for the Realm Lunars are Anathema and enemy of the state. Note, I have no qualms with the game in general calling Solars and Lunars Anathema since well, again, they are. It's a setting term that especially in cotnext of a holy war over the continent, is also appropriate.

DeusExBiotica

Obsessed
Validated User
Ah, Aqadar. I, also, formed a vain hope upon first reading about Fajad that he would just be a seriously-badass sorcerer whom even Celestials bowed to the expertise of, and who Lunars sometimes tried to ally with on the basis that he clearly really dislikes The Realm (to limited success). If it's any consolation, while Lunars does make him a Lunar, everything it says about his actual goals and methods still fits with that view on the character. If you, like me, want to keep Aqadar unExalted, the rest of the character's writeuo will serve you well.

But, seriously, why would you have two back-to-back Northern cities where their most defining feature is a giant pillar which fell from space to kill some troublesome monster?

Blaque

Evil Neko
Validated User
Ah, Aqadar. I, also, formed a vain hope upon first reading about Fajad that he would just be a seriously-badass sorcerer whom even Celestials bowed to the expertise of, and who Lunars sometimes tried to ally with on the basis that he clearly really dislikes The Realm (to limited success). If it's any consolation, while Lunars does make him a Lunar, everything it says about his actual goals and methods still fits with that view on the character. If you, like me, want to keep Aqadar unExalted, the rest of the character's writeuo will serve you well.

But, seriously, why would you have two back-to-back Northern cities where their most defining feature is a giant pillar which fell from space to kill some troublesome monster?
My guess is simply they were probably just designed separately and it turns out to be convergent writing.

Ghosthead

Validated User
Breaking the power curve in places is cool to make characters feel more organic and not proscribed by their origins, which is useful. It can feel a bit "gamey" to have a heavily proscribed "path" and potential for each "splat".

But there's not much point doing it too much and those must be exceptions; else, you would begin to wonder why you're playing "Exalted" and playing into its specific mythology, rather than just playing a sort of big setting influenced by certain sorts of pulp and fantasy anime and genre without Exalted's mythology, which would become a sort of vestigial organ and shackle.

I mean, if I reflect a bit too much, I personally am about 9/10 on Exalted's influences and genre, and about 6/10 on its core mythology and pantheon (and its "splats")... But lobbying for too much shift in its core mythology is that sort of thing that, even if it were successful, probably would fatally undermine its identity to the point that it wouldn't be worth doing, successful or no!

Exalted's not amazing at portraying every sort of character that I could imaginably want to portray within its genre and set of influences! That's OK though, because if that's the case then something else can be built which is....

Ghosthead

Validated User
Also another benefit of a relatively restricted ability to "break the curve" is that developers would have to work harder to make sure that character type X matters even at their "normal" level without doing anything too special.

You know, there is a danger to going "It doesn't really matter how much Solars (for example) break their curve, because we can just cook up super powered limit breaking adversaries from other splats / mortals, etc. to be an interesting counter to them", while if you restrict the ability to cook up those sort of those characters, you restrict the power levels of the strongest splats from going too crazy, as otherwise they will lack meaningful opposition and will be failures as a gameable character type.

Like, if you have too much limit breaking going on, you're giving the designers a release valve from designing the strongest splat property that they probably shouldn't have.

DeusExBiotica

Obsessed
Validated User
Interesting.

I see that very thing as an UPSIDE to loosening Exalted's power tiers. It always strikes me as truly bizarre how much ink this game wants to shed on combat stats for things which cannot meaningfully fight against the PC types they are directly contrasted with.

Top Bottom