My great big fat series finale: just a little help please....

knik

Mountain o'the Black Wind
How do you make a big bad NPC believable? Thats my problem here. Let me explain:

The big bad for the finale is, for all intents and purposes, the Fae Lord of Spring, a being on the same power level as Mab, Titania, etc. The previous lord was the Erlking, but the younger brother of one of the PCs managed to ursurp his power and become the lord of spring himself- and therefore the big bad. His master plan was to pull the town the PCs live in (Marston, Maine) into Arcadia, the relam of the Fae.

Reason: MArston and environs are the "softest spot" in reality, and almost all other dimesntions/realms etc are accessable within a five mile radius of the town. We call it the Well of Souls- its also the souce of a HUGE amount of magical energy for those who know how to tap it. Doing it safely is the problem.

So, the bad guys plan was to draw MArston completely into his domain in Arcadia, and therefore have unfettered access to the Well. He knew the PCs (one of whom was his big brother) would be expecting a Lord of the Rings style invasion, so he went for a subtler route: he slowly drew the town into the Hedge, the boundry between Arcadia and Earth, and then on the apex of his power (midnight leading into May 1st- Beltane (happened to be Prom)) he could use the reidual enerergy to finish the job. HE hid everything behind a lot of very, very powerful glamors, thereby tyinig up most of his mojo.

The PCs stopped it- sort of. One of the NPCs occasionally played by a PC- an immortal wizard of unknowable age and great strength- managed to shatter the glamors and the boundries, revealing that the town was indeed in the Hedge (and sorta stuck) and that almost everyone in the town had been corrupted into some kind of changeling. Only the PCs and the close NPC allies are unchaned by the events.

I have most of the beginnings of the plot layed out- flight to the church, which as served as home base for the group since the beginning, some of the second string NPCs in the hands of the players in different scenes fighting a more guerilla war against the forces, and some of the PCs as the vanguard against the bad guys. The battle will come down to the brothers (of course) and one stabbing both himself and his brother with a "ghost blade", a weapon capable of killing the magical and spiritual half of an entity. THis will rob the PC of his "totem warrior" powers [he's on boared, excited and pumped about this change] and releasing all of the power of spring in one torrent (which will find home in the fiancee of one of the PCs who has just died in childbirth- making her the Queen of Spring and a Fae Lord herself.

Clearly, I have a goodly amount of this planned, and I know my PCs well enough to predict which way they'll jump (mostly). Its the motivations and monologs for the big bad I'm having trouble with.

He (BB) was basically a genius level 10 year old boy, who never fit in with anyone aorund him because (1) he was 100x smarter than they were and (2) very litttle social skills. He has an older brother (KB, the PC) who deeply loves him, but he didn't know how to receivethat love. When he had the chance to become beolden to the Erlking, he took it, since that was someone who seemed to respect his intelligence and ability.

Now that he's back, his main goal in messing with the PCs and his brother in particular has been to prove that he's better than all of them- storonger, tougher, better all around. Getting access to the well is mainly to have enough power to do whatever he wants: why settle for spanking Mab when one can recode reality in ones image.

He even went so far as to erase KBs girlfriends memories through a Fae curse (although they didn't know it was him at the time) and then take an avatar of a kid in school to start dating her. Just to hurt his brother.

I'm having trouble with the monologs: hes a jealous spiteful 10 year old who never fit on and never had a friend of his own with the power of a god, trying to prove he's better than everyone else. Any thoughts/Suggestions?

Kurt

falstaffe

Validated User
I know the BB has magical powers, but maybe he needs to be bad in a more visceral, bloody, evil way. Instead of (waves hands) erasing your girlfriend's memories, actually cause her physical harm, turn her inside-out, etc. (Think of a spoiled kid being rough with their toys, then apply that to how they treat real people. Scary.)

dmjalund

Polychromatic Pikathulhu
Validated User
Don't think so much in monologues as responses to PC statements. Think 'blaming others' - like "It's your fault I <did this evil thing>". And 'It's not fair!' maybe even "It's not my fault I'm a monster"

knik

Don't think so much in monologues as responses to PC statements. Think 'blaming others' - like "It's your fault I <did this evil thing>". And 'It's not fair!' maybe even "It's not my fault I'm a monster"
Hmmm.... I kinda like this one. It works in an interesting way. My player (KB's player) and I are pre-working some lines/scripting. Thats nice. And he's doing all of it because he nevr really fit in? Make the worlds better- in his image.

The rub is going to be at the end, when he's been stripped of his powers and dying, in his brothers arms (returned to a 10 yr old state) realizing what hes done and is genuenally sorry- but Mab and Titania are coming for him now, to torture him for eternity for what he did. KB is keping him alive, but if BBs alive when the Queens get there, he's theirs, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.... but if KB lets him die, he's free of them.

Its the kind of moral/emotional quandry I can put before these players and make it work REALLY well.

Kurt

knik

And here we go...the stage is set...the orchestra hired....I have but to dance....

the ep's title: Childhood's End.

knik

Well, it all came to an end last night. The big battles happened, funny stuff ensued (one PC killed a troll with a thrown church bell- the kind in the belfry), one PC sacrificed his powers and gifts to stop his brother from taking over the universe, then had to kill him in his arms to keep the Fae queens from torturing him for eternity for what he'd done. The scene is forevr burned in my mind- it was beautiful, deeply tragic and fantastic. Another characters wife died in his arms as she gave birth to his son. That character left town with his son and father- just left, he's done. Its not worth it any more.

Next season will be much lighter in tone- more of a HS drama, but this year was painful for all the characters. Wonderful, wonderful game- I've never run better.

Kurt

Top Bottom