• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[My Hero Academia General] The Class is in Session

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User
So, this may sound like a stupid question but I am behind on the WIW threads, so I have a general question that might be answered in a WIW thread that I haven't got to yet.
Are there canon rules for media coverage of Heroes in training? Like if they covered a fight in public where a kid didn't have a codename yet, would they blur out their faces, or give them a unofficial codename?

LoneWolf23

Validated User
So, this may sound like a stupid question but I am behind on the WIW threads, so I have a general question that might be answered in a WIW thread that I haven't got to yet.
Are there canon rules for media coverage of Heroes in training? Like if they covered a fight in public where a kid didn't have a codename yet, would they blur out their faces, or give them a unofficial codename?
Considering that, in UA at least, one of the very first things students are made to do is a) design a costume for themselves and b) pick out a hero name, seems that by the time they're ready for field world, they've already got the hero identity stuff handled.

Furthermore, it doesn't seem like Secret Identities are really a thing in the MHAverse, with All-Might being an obvious exception. Pro Heroes don't really hide their identities, it's just that they're always referred to by their Heroic identities, in much the same way that Pro Wrestlers are usually publicly referred to by their stage names. It's Kayfabe on a grand scale.

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Considering that, in UA at least, one of the very first things students are made to do is a) design a costume for themselves and b) pick out a hero name, seems that by the time they're ready for field world, they've already got the hero identity stuff handled.

Furthermore, it doesn't seem like Secret Identities are really a thing in the MHAverse, with All-Might being an obvious exception. Pro Heroes don't really hide their identities, it's just that they're always referred to by their Heroic identities, in much the same way that Pro Wrestlers are usually publicly referred to by their stage names. It's Keyfabe on a grand scale.
It actually kind of reminds me of Luchadors, in that they always have the mask on and are always in character (I think, may be way off base here, but it certainly seems that way in the movies and stuff featuring them).

LoneWolf23

Validated User
It actually kind of reminds me of Luchadors, in that they always have the mask on and are always in character (I think, may be way off base here, but it certainly seems that way in the movies and stuff featuring them).
Luchadors are, indeed, an even better example of the concept. They live, eat and breath the kayfabe, not breaking character in public, even if their actual names might be a matter of public record.

Crinos

Validated User
Luchadors are, indeed, an even better example of the concept. They live, eat and breath the kayfabe, not breaking character in public, even if their actual names might be a matter of public record.
Yeah, one of my favorite episodes of MST3k is Samson and the Vampire women, where halfway through this vampire movie a masked wrestler barges into the home of the female lead's father to help out with the vampires and Mike and the Bots just lose their shit over the absurdity of the situation.

Manitou

Emperor of the Americas
Validated User

Furthermore, it doesn't seem like Secret Identities are really a thing in the MHAverse, with All-Might being an obvious exception. Pro Heroes don't really hide their identities, it's just that they're always referred to by their Heroic identities, in much the same way that Pro Wrestlers are usually publicly referred to by their stage names. It's Kayfabe on a grand scale.
Well, I knew the second part was true for adults, I was just wondering if kids got their ID protected since that can happen IRL.
OTOL THey are basically training to be very public figures, so I could see that not applying as well....

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Yeah, on the other hand, the very public, actually televised UA Sports Festival, has the students competing in their school sports uniforms, without masks or codenames, so it's not as if there's really an effort being made to hide who these students are.

Crinos

Validated User
Yeah, on the other hand, the very public, actually televised UA Sports Festival, has the students competing in their school sports uniforms, without masks or codenames, so it's not as if there's really an effort being made to hide who these students are.
Yeah that actually comes back to bite them later because A) the villains know what they can do because of the sports festival, and B) so do rival schools who want to take them out during the license exam.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Well, I knew the second part was true for adults, I was just wondering if kids got their ID protected since that can happen IRL.
OTOL THey are basically training to be very public figures, so I could see that not applying as well....
It's illegal for kids to go around apprehending criminals though. If they did so in a venue where the media can see them the police would react most strongly, at the very least forcibly expelling them from UA and barring them from any possibility of legal hero work.

Edit: to be clearer, you need a government-issued license to do Hero work, and as wee see during the Stain arc the police react most strongly to attempts to go vigilante. The Chief of police basically says "You guys did a good thing apprehending a serial killer, but we can't go reward people for breaking the rules, so the best we can do is pretend you were never there or ruin your future."

If your question is more about "kids caught in a supervillian fight", I don't think there's blurring? Chapter 1 has Bakugo caught by that slime villian and a lot of people refer to that incident in relation to him.

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I think it's a good way to help say whether someone is on-duty or not. Costume on or off is how people can tell if you're X Hero, patrolling, or So and So, who is also known as X Hero, having lunch.

The presence of physical quirks also makes anonymity a harder thing in-universe in general.

Top Bottom