• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[My Hero Academia General] The Class is in Session

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
So, this may sound like a stupid question but I am behind on the WIW threads, so I have a general question that might be answered in a WIW thread that I haven't got to yet.
Are there canon rules for media coverage of Heroes in training? Like if they covered a fight in public where a kid didn't have a codename yet, would they blur out their faces, or give them a unofficial codename?
People keep recognizing Bakugo from the sludge incident, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of concern for underage privacy in media coverage. Toga's name has been kept out of the papers though, for contrast.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bakugo also (surprisingly) hasn't been charged with anything the way Toga assumedly is.

Yeah, one of my favorite episodes of MST3k is Samson and the Vampire women, where halfway through this vampire movie a masked wrestler barges into the home of the female lead's father to help out with the vampires and Mike and the Bots just lose their shit over the absurdity of the situation.
Oh god, that's not even the best El Santo* film ridiculousness. In the other films you see him going out on dates in his nice polite 60s (?) turtleneck sweater, at a fancy restaurant, and he's STILL GOT THE MASK ON. And everyone thinks this is normal.

*for some reason they named him Samson in the dub from Spanish

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Bakugo also (surprisingly) hasn't been charged with anything the way Toga assumedly is.
Well remember despite being a weapons grade asshole Bakugo is still dead set on being a hero. In the first episode some of his friends suggest they go do some delinquent stuff, and Bakugo angrily chastises him because he doesn't want to risk blowing his chance to get into UA.

I mean he may indulge in conventional bullying (Since we see him beating up kids as a kid, Izuku included, and of course telling Izuku to kill himself) but he hasn't done anything that could be considered illegal.

Compare to Toga, whose early days include drinking the blood of wounded animals, and freaking her parents the fuck out, before culminating with killing some of her classmates.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
heck, its very, very faint context, but the "Kill yourself" bit is commented on both by Deku and the pre-bakusquad as "that was unusually harsh, even for you."

as for bakugo's childhood bullying, I SWEAR I'd seen another such flashback where the 'victim' Deku wanted to protect was in on it

Icarium

Validated User
I mean he may indulge in conventional bullying (Since we see him beating up kids as a kid, Izuku included, and of course telling Izuku to kill himself) but he hasn't done anything that could be considered illegal.
To be a pedant, people who have told people to kill themselves have been found guilty of manslaughter. Was a case in Massachusetts. I'm kind of curious what the law is in Japan, though.

Really, Bakugou is basically Endeavor as a student. Determined to be a hero, determined to be "Number One", but a total and complete garbage fire as a person. He gets vaguely better but unless very recent issues have had him actually acknowledge his behavior as wrong and /apologize/, I don't think he's gotten as good as some people insist he has.

It's kind of one of my peeves with the series. Ten years of constant bullying - ten years - ending in "You should kill yourself." If Izuku weren't a shonen protagonist, that would probably be it. End of the line. And yet Bakugou says no to the League of Villains and starts treating Izuku very slightly nicer, so now he's totally reformed! Punishment? Consequences? What're they?

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
To be a pedant, people who have told people to kill themselves have been found guilty of manslaughter. Was a case in Massachusetts. I'm kind of curious what the law is in Japan, though.

Really, Bakugou is basically Endeavor as a student. Determined to be a hero, determined to be "Number One", but a total and complete garbage fire as a person. He gets vaguely better but unless very recent issues have had him actually acknowledge his behavior as wrong and /apologize/, I don't think he's gotten as good as some people insist he has.

It's kind of one of my peeves with the series. Ten years of constant bullying - ten years - ending in "You should kill yourself." If Izuku weren't a shonen protagonist, that would probably be it. End of the line. And yet Bakugou says no to the League of Villains and starts treating Izuku very slightly nicer, so now he's totally reformed! Punishment? Consequences? What're they?
I mean, even the author agrees with you that he went too far in having Bakugo say those things at the start. He made a narrative mistake by making Bakugo just slightly too much meaner than he intended, because the work was just beginning and sometimes your intent and themes don't match up perfectly with your first draft.

Icarium

Validated User
Y'know, I've heard that said by a few people, but I've never seen it. Could you give me a reference on the author actually saying that? I'd honestly like to see it, as it'd make me feel better about the character.

Tsuzurao

Validated User
as for bakugo's childhood bullying, I SWEAR I'd seen another such flashback where the 'victim' Deku wanted to protect was in on it
I don't recall that ever being said or shown.

The closest thing I can think of is that in a gag manga spin-off (My Hero Academia SMASH!!), the victim was crying because his Quirk was the power to control his tears, and so the crying was his way of 'gathering firepower' to fight back.

Seiberwing

Swift as a coursing river
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I mean, even the author agrees with you that he went too far in having Bakugo say those things at the start. He made a narrative mistake by making Bakugo just slightly too much meaner than he intended, because the work was just beginning and sometimes your intent and themes don't match up perfectly with your first draft.
Oh, interesting. Do you have a cite on that? (Like an interview or w/e?)

Kreuzritter

Validated User
I don't recall that ever being said or shown.

The closest thing I can think of is that in a gag manga spin-off (My Hero Academia SMASH!!), the victim was crying because his Quirk was the power to control his tears, and so the crying was his way of 'gathering firepower' to fight back.
that's the one I was thinking of

Top Bottom