• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[My Little Pony] FiM Discussion Thread 3: Applejack's Farm

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Following off of threads One and Two, we now open up on our third general discussion thread!

Applejack'll herd us in.

Post all your Pony stuff that isn't a WIW, fanfic rec, or otherwise for another thread here :)

Here's the still-active fanfic thread.

Last edited:

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
Here's a question. How would you 'redeem' Gilda, for lack of a better word?

EDIT:

Also, thanks for starting the new thread, Q99. :)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Probably have her start to get lonely and come back to Dash (possibly after having driven off other friends likewise), but one of the ponies gives a mouthful about her attitude, and challenges her to even just try and not bully anyone for a week. Then she huffs off, but decides to accept the challenge (competitive streak), and then go from there.

And/or seeing some of the other ponies doing something super-cool, then realize it's one of the "Lame-os" and rethinking her stance.

Mostly she needs to grow up.

I wonder how long it'll be before we get to thread 7, Pinkie's Party ^^

SPrintF

Wild Child
RPGnet Member
Here's another question: why is the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters in the EverFree Forest?

This has been troubling me for awhile. What was Equestria like ten centuries ago? What is Equestria, really? What lies beyond it's borders? What are it's borders?

It's appropriate that I ask this in Applejack's thread. I've been thinking alot about the Earth Ponies, lately. I feel that there's a story there that hasn't been told that strikes right to the heart of all of these questions.

Monkey King

Your computer is literally haunted
Validated User
If you pose the question to the fandom at large, the answer would involve a lot of bowing and scraping before Fluttershy. :p

More seriously, you'd probably have to spin it into a whole episode about dealing with bullies, or maybe how to deal with your insecurities without lashing out at others. Gilda's a bitch, and yelling at Fluttershy is a pretty nasty thing to do, but it's clear she's fighting severe feelings of inadequacy. Like all bullies, she picks on people weaker than her to try to regain some sense of self-worth. Public shaming really isn't the best way to address that, and getting dumped by her crush her best friend is probably the worst thing that could happen to her. That's a hell of a complex moral to try to explain in simplified 6 year old terms, though.

So I guess my answer is to WRITE FANFICTION WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
Here's another question: why is the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters in the EverFree Forest?

This has been troubling me for awhile. What was Equestria like ten centuries ago? What is Equestria, really? What lies beyond it's borders? What are it's borders?

It's appropriate that I ask this in Applejack's thread. I've been thinking alot about the Earth Ponies, lately. I feel that there's a story there that hasn't been told that strikes right to the heart of all of these questions.
The only one I can adequately speculate on is that the Everfree Forest is the result of Nightmare Moon and the battle there. But again, speculation.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The only one I can adequately speculate on is that the Everfree Forest is the result of Nightmare Moon and the battle there. But again, speculation.
Here's one: When both sisters were around, the Equestria "safe zone" was even bigger than it is now, and it shrunk as a result of only being maintained by one princess.

And/or after the Battle, Celestia no longer wanted to live there and moved out, other ponies followed, etc., and the wilds took over.

Or a third possibility, it was originally intended as a preserve, the princesses lived there more isolated than they do now in Canterlot, and that lead to Luna's loneliness.

Finally, all of Luna's magic made it so.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User

EDIT:

There are a few fairly standard ways to redeem a bully type character. The first is to make them have a change of heart and start being nice and apologizing, but I think of that as clumsy writing :p. The other would be to take a deeper look at them and reveal the emotions or background that make them feel a need to lash out, which I think is a better way to deal with it. Maybe take the time to show that Gilda was persecuted for being a Griffon in a pony flight school and felt she needed to "prove" herself, or possibly the opposite and she was completely ostracized by Griffons for it (and was kind of jealous of Rainbow Dash's other friends because Dash was the only friend she had left; also, she stole the apple because she had no money!).

Not that I'm really advocating a story like that, but as far as trying to make Gilda a sympathetic character it's how I would handle it.

Also, to copy a quote from another fan, if two months ago you'd told me I'd be having serious discussions in a My Little Pony thread I would have called you crazy.

Top Bottom