• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[My Little Pony] FiM Discussion Thread 3: Applejack's Farm

Ithaeur

Relic Unicorn
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here's another question: why is the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters in the EverFree Forest?
[speculation]
Back then, it wasn't Everfree Forest as we know it now. After the whole Nightmare Moon thing, and Luna being banished into the moon, Celestia unsurprisingly enough wanted a bit of distance from all the memories in that place, and moved off to Canterlot - which, located high on a mountainside, overlooking Ponyville and Everfree Forest, is a perfect place for simultaneously getting away yet being able to pine for your lost innocence.
[/speculation]

JohnBiles

Validated User
I created a map of Equestria for my ongoing FIM/Mystara (D&D) crossover throwing the Atruaghin Clans into space and replacing them with PONY PONY PONY. (I also put a separate pony Princesspality in Glantri, Dream Valley).

I've put the map in a Spoiler Block

Spoiler: Show

Warning: It's pretty big.

flashfox466

Retired User
Here's a question. How would you 'redeem' Gilda, for lack of a better word?
I'm taking this creation of a new thread as a chance to jump in again instead of reading 100 pages to get caught up. Hope you guys don't mind.

Ok, first have Gilda want something from Rainbow Dash other than friendship, like for example, she wants to see her Sonic Rainboom, but doesn't think Dash would provide it if she asked. So Gilda comes back, fakes an apology and spends an entire episode trying to get Dash to do that move. Eventually, it comes down to putting herself into staged danger (like falling to her doom), which quickly turns into REAL danger (busts her wing in the process). And as a twist, it is not Dash that saves her, but Pinkie Pie, who does a flying leap that catches her. Gilda, in her confusion on being saved by Pinkie Pie of all people, leaves the group again on bad terms, with the lesson being "If you want something, it doesn't hurt to just ask."

Gilda would come back again in a later episode where she comes across the ponies again under dangerous circumstances. Like for instance, they are all being hunted by some mythical beast. A common foe that forces them to stick together. Combined with the development that occurred before, maybe Gilda could realize that there's more to Pinkie than just the lame-o pony she envisioned, or something like that, and it's her opening up and excepting Pinkie that helps her open up to the rest of the group.

tl;dr:
Pinkie saves Gilda's life in one episode, they are forced to team up in another.

Joshua R

Cat of distain +5
Validated User
Here's one: When both sisters were around, the Equestria "safe zone" was even bigger than it is now, and it shrunk as a result of only being maintained by one princess.

And/or after the Battle, Celestia no longer wanted to live there and moved out, other ponies followed, etc., and the wilds took over.

Or a third possibility, it was originally intended as a preserve, the princesses lived there more isolated than they do now in Canterlot, and that lead to Luna's loneliness.

Finally, all of Luna's magic made it so.
Yeah, I like the idea that banishing/losing her sister weakened Celestia enough that her area of influence shrunk significantly. She basically had to pull back and preserve the most settled regions.

Listening to the Bronyville podcasts I heard one guest toss out the suggestion that the writers may have been going with the idea that the ruined castle is sort of a left over from G1, giving a little touch of continuity and "pony archeology" to the series.

flashfox466

Retired User
Listening to the Bronyville podcasts I heard one guest toss out the suggestion that the writers may have been going with the idea that the ruined castle is sort of a left over from G1, giving a little touch of continuity and "pony archeology" to the series.
Eh... G1 and G4 don't mesh all that well. Especially when the ponies stop living in a castle after the first movie and grundles moved in after that. Also confusing when you consider that they explain the source of magic in Dream Valley being a series of 6 wands that carry certain elements of magic. Then again, Celestia could have been the keeper of said wands and fused the wands together or something, especially considering the wands were closely guarded by royalty...royalty that live in a castle...
Wait... 6 wands... 6 elements... OMG why did I just now notice that...

Top Bottom