[My Little Pony] FiM Discussion Thread 3: Applejack's Farm

sun_tzu

Validated User
Eh... G1 and G4 don't mesh all that well. Especially when the ponies stop living in a castle after the first movie and grundles moved in after that. Also confusing when you consider that they explain the source of magic in Dream Valley being a series of 6 wands that carry certain elements of magic. Then again, Celestia could have been the keeper of said wands and fused the wands together or something, especially considering the wands were closely guarded by royalty...royalty that live in a castle...
Wait... 6 wands... 6 elements... OMG why did I just now notice that...
Welcome to the wonderful world of bridging continuities. I'm a proponent of the "Megan used the Heart of Ponyland to turn herself in the quasi-divine Celestia in order to turn the nightmarish Dream Valley into the somewhat less apocalyptic Equestria" theory.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Another webcomic referencing FiM:

(First panel)

Bag of Magic Food

Still captured by Lothor
Validated User
Eh... G1 and G4 don't mesh all that well. Especially when the ponies stop living in a castle after the first movie and grundles moved in after that. Also confusing when you consider that they explain the source of magic in Dream Valley being a series of 6 wands that carry certain elements of magic. Then again, Celestia could have been the keeper of said wands and fused the wands together or something, especially considering the wands were closely guarded by royalty...royalty that live in a castle...
Wait... 6 wands... 6 elements... OMG why did I just now notice that...
I also wonder if the Princess Ponies later started using the wands to fuse themselves together so they wouldn't have to share as much, and that's why the current princesses can be these oddball mixes of all pony types. At least I find that less creepy than
Welcome to the wonderful world of bridging continuities. I'm a proponent of the "Megan used the Heart of Ponyland to turn herself in the quasi-divine Celestia in order to turn the nightmarish Dream Valley into the somewhat less apocalyptic Equestria" theory.
this, just because it's all too easy for me to imagine Megan reciting to Spike the whole "I will become the god of this new world..."

UnknownCorrespondent

Grumpy Old Man
Validated User
Re Equestrian geography:

Ponyville is in New Jersey. It's near Fillydelphia and Manehattan, it has the Cliffs of Canterlot, and the Everfree Forest, complete with a disturbingly equine monster that would give the Mane Cast a run for their money. It's also near one of the centers of Amish culture (Lancaster County, PA), and the Pine Barrens are so named because the soil doesn't support traditional crops, so there you have the Pies' rock farm. For an added bit of coincidental naming, the highest point of the Pine Barrens is Apple Pie Hill :D

SPrintF

Wild Child
RPGnet Member
Here's an odd insight that only occurred to me today:

Remember the Grand Galloping Gala? Of course you do. Remember Fluttershy having trouble... bonding with the critters in the gardens? Of course you do.

Suppose the critters in the gardens are actual wild animals. And the critters that Fluttershy knows are somehow smarter versions of actual animals. (Angel? Hummingway? Every other critter she knows?)

Does Equestria, somehow, make everything smarter and more connected? Did Fluttershy "fail" in the gardens because she's never dealt with actual little animals before?

Is this why the Everfree Forest is so alien? Because the creatures within it are less intelligent and less domesticated than the critters around Fluttershy's cottage?

flashfox466

Retired User
Here's an odd insight that only occurred to me today:

Remember the Grand Galloping Gala? Of course you do. Remember Fluttershy having trouble... bonding with the critters in the gardens? Of course you do.

Suppose the critters in the gardens are actual wild animals. And the critters that Fluttershy knows are somehow smarter versions of actual animals. (Angel? Hummingway? Every other critter she knows?)

Does Equestria, somehow, make everything smarter and more connected? Did Fluttershy "fail" in the gardens because she's never dealt with actual little animals before?

Is this why the Everfree Forest is so alien? Because the creatures within it are less intelligent and less domesticated than the critters around Fluttershy's cottage?
I always figured the Canterlot Garden animals were more hesitant to socialize with ponies because they interact with children a lot. It is a garden, I'm sure schools bring kids over to study the wild life, and you know kids, chargin' in all excited like with complete disregard with the animal's feelings. The animals probably learned that interacting with ponies they don't know only leads to harm.

As for the everfree forest, most of the animals in there are much bigger and much more dangerous than anything a pony would take care of. And even if they aren't big, they're still dangerous in some level (cocktrice and parasprites anyone?)

DLathrop

In 'Tia and Luna's Army
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Fillies and gentlecolts, it has happened. MLP: FIM's fandom has invaded my world.

I was at a bar, when "Bulletproof" came on. Of course I started singing to it... and then had to explain why my lyrics included "Muffinproof".

DL

Top Bottom