• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[My Little Pony] FiM Discussion Thread 5: Rarity's Boutique

SPrintF

Wild Child
RPGnet Member
Yes, "Spike's Den" sound more correct, thanks. I just like the little guy and don't want to see him left out of the "mane" cast.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
I've always felt Spike was part of the Mane cast, hair or spines or species or whatnot. He's just as important as the others and deserves respect.

q_3

Ge.
Validated User
This is gonna sound odd... but I've been thinking about Lesson Zero, and I'm not sure the 'Want it, Need it' spell shows 'power' for Twilight, or her potential. She casts the spell and it works... and gets out o hand. But it's not her that's doing the enchanting, but the spell on the doll. I have a feeling if Rarity, Trixie, Lyra, Sweetie Belle or any other unicorn casting it would've ended up with the same result. She started it, but it snowballed out of her control.

Thoughts? Good, bad, pelt me with rabid lemmings?
Based on the large number of hearts that Twilight shot at the doll, my thinking is that she did put far too much power in it - as she has done before when casting while in an agitated mental state, e.g., turning baby Spike into Godzilla, or putting afterburners on AJ's plow during Winter Wrap Up. A lesser magic user, or Twilight herself when fully in control, would only create one or two hearts, which would have a much more subtle effect. "Get that disgusting doll away from me!" becomes "Okay, I'll play with your dumb doll," not "I will kill for that delightful doll."

Gattsuru

Banned
She casts the spell and it works... and gets out o hand. But it's not her that's doing the enchanting, but the spell on the doll. I have a feeling if Rarity, Trixie, Lyra, Sweetie Belle or any other unicorn casting it would've ended up with the same result. She started it, but it snowballed out of her control.

Thoughts? Good, bad, pelt me with rabid lemmings?
I don't think we've seen any evidence that Rarity, Lyra, Sweetie Bell, or most other unicorns could start that enchantment, and we have seen her spells have a tendency to affect more targets than when another pony casts the same spell (most notably, with Rarity's gem-finding), but I do agree that Twilight probably wasn't surprised by the enchantment's effect itself since she'd used it before.

((I think it got out of control less because of the power placed into the enchantment, even if that power is why things went so bad, as much as that Twilight wasn't expecting any of the CMC to not be willing to share the doll and for Big Mac to take it where any other pony could see it. Twilight's good at many things, but she's got regular problems realizing the sort of agency other ponies have. She did know that it'd effect anyone that looked at it, and cautioned her friends against looking at it, so it's not like the casting itself did anything unexpected.))

((That Sparkle knows the "Want It, Need It" spell 'works every time' is... a little disturbing, to be honest.))

No-Brand Hero

Heroicus Genericus
Validated User
I don't think we've seen any evidence that Rarity, Lyra, Sweetie Bell, or most other unicorns could start that enchantment, and we have seen her spells have a tendency to affect more targets than when another pony casts the same spell (most notably, with Rarity's gem-finding)
Good point. When Rarity uses the gem-finding spell it highlights a single hidden cache of gems. When Twilight used it, it highlighted an entire cave full of them.

((That Sparkle knows the "Want It, Need It" spell 'works every time' is... a little disturbing, to be honest.))
Given that it's Twilight we're talking about, it's entirely possible she read that "It works every time" in a book.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
Okay, I suppose there's the power put into it, but honestly I still don't think it's a full indication of anything. Pony sees it, they want it and need it. She got it started, but it snowballed after.

Monkey King

Your computer is literally haunted
Validated User
There's probably a I Kinda Want That spell she could have used instead, but she was already blowing the situation way out of proportion, so she went straight to the level 9 spells. Whatever her options were, it's obvious she was trying to carve pumpkins with a bazooka by that point.

And that's why Princess Celestia never taught Twilight how to cast Fireball.

DLathrop

In 'Tia and Luna's Army
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hmm, but "Spike's Den" would also have massive amounts of Rarity... wait, there's no negative here.

DL

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There's probably a I Kinda Want That spell she could have used instead, but she was already blowing the situation way out of proportion, so she went straight to the level 9 spells. Whatever her options were, it's obvious she was trying to carve pumpkins with a bazooka by that point.

And that's why Princess Celestia never taught Twilight how to cast Fireball.
Twilight hast the "Cast spell as a higher level" feat and uses it unconsciously :)

Btw, here's some speculation- each pony has not one but two or more magic 'slots,' genetically speaking. Twilight, of course, is Unicorn all the way, Applejack pure Earth, and Rainbow Dash all Pegasus. Fluttershy's half earth half pegasus magic, hence her animal connection and less good flying, and Rarity is both unicorn and earth, hence her trade skills and physical abilities in addition to solid magic. And then Pinkie Pie'd be part earth part pegasus.

Which is why you see some ponies operating outside the field of their type, and why some are so exceptional in their main field- a large part of the population is mix and may favor one or the other or be more flexible than most, while some have an exceptionally strong affinity in a single speciality.

LittleTito

Ambidextrous Monstrosity
Validated User
Hurray for new thread!

Twilight hast the "Cast spell as a higher level" feat and uses it unconsciously :)
That's my take on the issue too. The other unicorns can cast her spells but they can't perform it at her level of magnitude nor intensity.

Top Bottom