[My Little Pony] Friendship is Magic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
Although I find it easy to believe that Pinkie edits her memories, the Doylist in me finds it unlikely we'd get an unreliable narrator in a kids show unless it was a very obvious Rashomon-style episode.
Meh, it's Pinkie. It was commented in-episode. So I can believe she was messing around.

UtterConfusion

Rainbow Person
Validated User
5) When Twilight Exalted spectacularly. Eerie glowing eyes of doom! Bonus points for parental houseplants and Spike. When Celestia said she was taking Twilight in, I can just imagine her parents thinking "oh God yes please take her she's TERRIFYING!"
Yeah, it didn't seem like getting turned into houseplants was pleasant for them. And given that four professors saw Twilight convulsing in a giant glob of uncontrolled magic and Celestia herself having to intervene, plus the lightning and dragon shooting out of the tower, I imagine the story spread very quickly. It really sheds some light on Twilight's relationship with Celestia when you think of how likely it is that after this incident she was probably the only adult in Twilight's life who wasn't afraid of her.

(P.S: I just realized that when Fluttershy first encountered the ground, she was probably kind of high from the sudden increase in oxygen.)

sun_tzu

Validated User
EDIT: No feedback on my story? Yer killin' me, guys. When I posted the idea, at least one person said he'd read it if I wrote it, and I did... /cry /lowerliptremble
Just read it.
Different from the mentally challenged portrayal I'm used to. But then again, almost everything about Derpy is fanon, so...
Overall, a fun read. A few "raised eyebrow" moments (Derpy seemed to consider it a Bad Day after just the mailbox experience and the bully thing, which seemed like a bit of an exaggeration. After the rock thing, I can see it, but...Also, not sure if Pinkie would have that much trouble understanding Derpy. Her empathy seems pretty circumstantial).

sun_tzu

Validated User
One THOUSAND posts from grown (mostly) men about a My Little Pony show.

Lauren Faust, I salute you.
One thousand? Closer to TWO THOUSANDS, if you count my thread. :p

Meh, it's Pinkie. It was commented in-episode. So I can believe she was messing around.
Yeah, Pinkie is not a reliable narrator.
I don't think her family downright rejected her, though. I can see her being hyperbolic, but I don't think she's hiding from this kind of trauma, either.

Yeah, it didn't seem like getting turned into houseplants was pleasant for them. And given that four professors saw Twilight convulsing in a giant glob of uncontrolled magic and Celestia herself having to intervene, plus the lightning and dragon shooting out of the tower, I imagine the story spread very quickly. It really sheds some light on Twilight's relationship with Celestia when you think of how likely it is that after this incident she was probably the only adult in Twilight's life who wasn't afraid of her.

(P.S: I just realized that when Fluttershy first encountered the ground, she was probably kind of high from the sudden increase in oxygen.)
You know, these are both very interesting points. Though I think the former is more likely to have actually been considered by the writing staff.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User

...My god, that's brilliant.

sun_tzu

Validated User
A caveat, though: By the time of the pilot, at least, we see that other unicorns in Canterlot (at least, those familiar with Twilight - possibly other "gifted students?) are not afraid of her and even invite her to parties, though they find it aggravating that she never comes.
Granted, that was years later; the "inspires fear in all but Celestia and Spike" thing can still have taken place during her early formative years, thus contributing to the sheltered mind we're familiar with.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A caveat, though: By the time of the pilot, at least, we see that other unicorns in Canterlot (at least, those familiar with Twilight - possibly other "gifted students?) are not afraid of her and even invite her to parties, though they find it aggravating that she never comes.
Granted, that was years later; the "inspires fear in all but Celestia and Spike" thing can still have taken place during her early formative years, thus contributing to the sheltered mind we're familiar with.
Also, those are probably other students, and they've got ambition too. Learning from Celestia's personal student would be great for them, either socially or just in what they can pick up sense.

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
A few "raised eyebrow" moments (Derpy seemed to consider it a Bad Day after just the mailbox experience and the bully thing, which seemed like a bit of an exaggeration. After the rock thing, I can see it, but...
That was deliberate, although the mailbox was part inauspicious omen and part frustration in its own right. One of her issues as I imagined her was getting easily frustrated, even by minor things, and having a hard time letting it go.

Actually, just about all her issues -- susceptibility to frustration, social cluelessnes, blindness to subtle body language and inflection, being easily overwhelmed by social situation difficulty with fine manipulation, and general inability to grasp the complexities of things outside her own interests -- are all things I deal with regularly myself.

Also, not sure if Pinkie would have that much trouble understanding Derpy. Her empathy seems pretty circumstantial).
Maybe. She was the one who realized Fluttershy was too sensitive to prank. But that's a different sort of sensitivity from Ditzy's issue with parties as I wrote her. Vulnerability to teasing is one thing; not enjoying parties as much as she does, however, seemed like something that would be completely alien to her.

I've also been editing the story, fixing typos and grammatical errors (and replacing occurrences of "everyone" with "everypony", and such). I also got some feedback via PM that made some fair points, like how the first taunt from the bullies seemed like it was coming from Pinkie Pie (so I made it clear that she'd left and shut the door behind her), and that something seemed inexplicably off about the exchange between Pinkie and Mac, which I suspected had to do with how unusually loquacious he was being (so I mentioned the other ponies' reactions to how unusual it was). Also tweaked the nickname origin to account for Fluttershy's presence in light of the latest episode.

Anyhoo, the same link as before still works, but here it is again just in case.

flashfox466

Retired User
Well, I could see Celestia covering up the events of the entrance exam, I mean, very few ponies actually knew Twilight was behind it. All the public saw was force lightning and a misshapen dragon head, which little or not context where it came from. I can't really see the judges and Twilight's parents spreading the word of the next Pony messiah, practically ruining any chance of the kid getting a normal childhood.

However the fact that Twilight walked into an entrance exam as a complete unknown and walked out as the personal student of Celestia would make her a notorious face in the magical community.

Now that I think about this, reminds me of Trixie. How did Trixie NOT know who Twilight is? You'd think she would have heard of her in passing, at least heard a description somewhere because she is kind of numero uno on her list of ponies that stand in her way of the top...
Just shows how much in her own worlds she is...

Last edited:

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Now that I think about this, reminds me of Trixie. How did Trixie NOT know who Twilight is? You'd think she would have heard of her in passing, at least heard a description somewhere because she is kind of numero uno on her list of ponies that stand in her way of the top...
Just shows how much in her own worlds she is...
I'm of the opinion that Trixie is probably not formally educated, or at least didn't attend Celestia's Academy. She's certainly very talented herself, but I wager she's either self-educated, or apprenticed with someone. Remember that in "Boast Busters", she demonstrates a total of 2-3 spells at most, reusing them in different ways at different times. She's certainly powerful and skilled, and most importantly is a good showpony, but she lacks Twilight Sparkle's dedicated "practical" training.

It's the difference between David Copperfield and Gandalf. One puts on a good show. The other can fight a Balrog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom