[My Little Pony] Friendship is Magic discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edvarius

Validated User
I loved the latest episode of this show, and I thought that gangly-awkward Fluttershy was incredibly adorable. But you know, the more I thought about it the more it seemed like her situation really sucked at that place. Going by her slightly more advanced physical development compared to the others and her comment to Pinkie Pie about being a year older, I'm guessing she was probably one of the oldest kids there. Yet at the same time she was also probably one of the worse at flying, which is what the place was all about. Combine that with her immense shyness, and I wouldn't be surprised if she had to deal with a lot of the same kind of jokes that fans make about Derpy.

sun_tzu

Validated User
That was deliberate, although the mailbox was part inauspicious omen and part frustration in its own right. One of her issues as I imagined her was getting easily frustrated, even by minor things, and having a hard time letting it go.

Actually, just about all her issues -- susceptibility to frustration, social cluelessnes, blindness to subtle body language and inflection, being easily overwhelmed by social situation difficulty with fine manipulation, and general inability to grasp the complexities of things outside her own interests -- are all things I deal with regularly myself.

Maybe. She was the one who realized Fluttershy was too sensitive to prank. But that's a different sort of sensitivity from Ditzy's issue with parties as I wrote her. Vulnerability to teasing is one thing; not enjoying parties as much as she does, however, seemed like something that would be completely alien to her.

I've also been editing the story, fixing typos and grammatical errors (and replacing occurrences of "everyone" with "everypony", and such). I also got some feedback via PM that made some fair points, like how the first taunt from the bullies seemed like it was coming from Pinkie Pie (so I made it clear that she'd left and shut the door behind her), and that something seemed inexplicably off about the exchange between Pinkie and Mac, which I suspected had to do with how unusually loquacious he was being (so I mentioned the other ponies' reactions to how unusual it was). Also tweaked the nickname origin to account for Fluttershy's presence in light of the latest episode.

Anyhoo, the same link as before still works, but here it is again just in case.
I know that the bit about difficulties reading people made me wonder if Derpy might be slightly aspy...

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
I loved the latest episode of this show, and I thought that gangly-awkward Fluttershy was incredibly adorable. But you know, the more I thought about it the more it seemed like her situation really sucked at that place. Going by her slightly more advanced physical development compared to the others and her comment to Pinkie Pie about being a year older, I'm guessing she was probably one of the oldest kids there. Yet at the same time she was also probably one of the worse at flying, which is what the place was all about. Combine that with her immense shyness, and I wouldn't be surprised if she had to deal with a lot of the same kind of jokes that fans make about Derpy.
There is a reason that I am firmly in the "Derpy might be aspy or similarly a little different, but she's not retarded" camp.

...I did, however, jack a single element from a dumb-Derpy story for my fanon: That she plans her route route to take her by Dinky's school, and she stops and waves. Every day. No matter whether it's sunny, snowing, or a thunderstorm, she stops and waves to her little muffin.

EDIT: CLAVDIVS...Dammit, man, now I have to ship Ditzy/Big Mac. I'm ALREADY shipping him with Twilight, colt-Caramel, AND mare-Caramel! He has more ships with my support than friggin' Rainbow Dash! THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BIG MAC TO GO AROUND!

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yea. I mean, Cloudsdale's not just about flying, there's sure to be other jobs, and Rainbow Dash seemed to lightning rod away the bullies a lot of the time, but she certainly wouldn't be having much fun in flight school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom