Mystara questions

Solon

Validated User
I recently purchased the reprint of the Rules Cyclopedia. It has a little info in the back about the Known World/Mystara.

There seems to be a pseudo-Mongolia and a pseudo-Byzantine Empire as well as other lands. Do any of the old supplements have a China or Tibet analog?

tsadkiel

Blue and mean.
Validated User
Ochalea is mostly China, and is detailed in the Dawn of the Emperors boxed set. As is the way of Mystara, kinda-China is nowhere near kinda-Mongolia.

kracht

Validated User
Also, GAZ3 "The Principalities of Glantri" has Krondahar, which is pretty much a pulpy/fantasy Tibet.

Solon

Validated User
Also, GAZ3 "The Principalities of Glantri" has Krondahar, which is pretty much a pulpy/fantasy Tibet.
I just looked at a map on Pandius. I would say that based on names like "Krondahar" and "Singhabad" that Krondahar is meant to be more like Afghanistan. However, I did see a city called Lhamsa in the mountains East of Krondahar and that sounds an awful lot like the real Tibetan city of Lhasa.

Doctor Futurity

Camazotz the Death Bat
Validated User
I just looked at a map on Pandius. I would say that based on names like "Krondahar" and "Singhabad" that Krondahar is meant to be more like Afghanistan. However, I did see a city called Lhamsa in the mountains East of Krondahar and that sounds an awful lot like the real Tibetan city of Lhasa.
Mystara is noted for how it hyper-compresses broad swathes of cultures (over space and time) into agglomerations of the source inspiration. One of the more amusing ones that I quite like despite how refined it is: The Atraughin Clans, which takes a few hundred distinct Amerind cultures over an entire continent and compresses them down to five tribes on a large plateau.

This is cool, though; it's best to think of Mystara as a weird pulp universe that exists because of the logic of the Immortals and not apply real-world realities to it.

Solon

Validated User
I seem to recall seeing somewhere the notion that the Mystara map is based on a conjecture of how Earth's continents looked many millions of years ago. Certainly, I recognize the shapes. Roughly what year is that supposed to be based on?

Davies

Validated User
I seem to recall seeing somewhere the notion that the Mystara map is based on a conjecture of how Earth's continents looked many millions of years ago. Certainly, I recognize the shapes. Roughly what year is that supposed to be based on?
Roughly 150 million years ago, as depicted on this map.

Airk

Your resident Norwegian
Validated User
Also, Kinda-Japan is on the Moon.

No, really. With catfolk.

Top Bottom