• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Mythic GM Emulator + stuff] The thread in which I randomly create a fantasy setting

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
Ok, I've been hankering to run a "generic" fantasy setting for a while. I've been craving one of those sandbox style games, and one in which much of the story and conflict is randomly created. It occurred to me that by using a "top down" approach, and drilling toward the start point, using random means, might produce a good "generic" setting with some teeth and interest, as opposed to the "standard" boring generic setting. I've decided, in part, to use the Mythic GM Emulator to help with that, and hopefully end up with a very playable and interesting setting, instead of one that's so boring as to drive away all interest anyone would have in the setting.

Let me first explain just a little about Mythic, so you're not lost as to the process. Mythic works first off by answering binary yes/no questions. There can be exceptional results too - think of it as rolling a crit or fumble. The possible results are modified by how likely a given action is. For instance, if a possible "yes" answer is virtually impossible, well, there's either no chance, or little chance of it happening. But this is modified by how "chaotic" previous scenes have been. The more chaotic the situation gets, the more likely one is to get a "yes" answer. So, near the end of what's been a chaotic story, it's far more likely for something that's virtually impossible to happen, then it is toward the beginning of the story (for example, the return of a character that was killed earlier in the story).

Mythic also can alter an expected scene, or it can insert an unexpected scene before the expected scene arises. So, stuff may happen differently then expected, or randomly inserted scenes can arise unexpectedly. Within scenes, Mythic can also insert random elements as well.

Now, the Mythic GM Emulator is designed to be either a GM aid, or to allow a group (or individual) to run a game without a GM. It isn't designed for what I'm going to use it for. So... just in case this experiment doesn't go well, don't blame Mythic, blame me for using an inappropriate tool. If it does work... well, I'll assume that Mythic was at least partially responsible.

Now then, let's get on with this. For ease, I'm actually using an automated Flash program here, that in theory, will roll for me and keep tabs on what's happened. The Flash program is here: http://artifex0.50webs.com/GMEmulator.swf

Harwel

¯(°_o)/¯
Re: [Mythic GM Emulator + stuff] The thread in which I randomly create a fantasy sett

Interesting idea. I think it works well in a "bottom up" world design, but I've never seen anyone design "top down" with it before. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

Emiricol

Retired User
Re: [Mythic GM Emulator + stuff] The thread in which I randomly create a fantasy sett

Fascinating. I'm bookmarking this thread.

EldritchFire

Validated User

Sounds cool, looking forward to seeing what you do.

For those of us who can't keep them straight, what's "top down" and "bottom up" again?

I can never remember...darn my bad memory!

-EF

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User

Ok, the following is a cut/paste from the GME flash program. I reordered the line-items to put them in descending order. Now, to be honest, I did do some minor retconning of some of the info as I went along, and some of the stuff in "Scene #1" didn't occur to me to ask before I got to "Scene #2", so those items I've moved to Scene #1. I've bolded the original results, and then put any additional info in plain text beneath it, indented. "Q:" stands for the question I asked. "E:" stands for a random event happening.

Scene #1:
Cosmological Order

Q: Did a god create the world? YES
Q: Were the first Gods evil? NO
Q: Were the first Gods (of Law) overthrown? NO

Originally, I was just calling them "The Gods" at this point, as I hadn't yet decided to split the pantheon into two opposing factions.​
Q: Have the Gods of Law always ruled? YES
Q: Are the Gods of Law involved in a war? YES
Q: Are the enemies also Gods? YES
Q: Are the enemy Gods (of Chaos) about as powerful as the first Gods? EXCEPTIONAL YES

At this point I was torn between doing a good/evil dichotomy or something else. I retconned it to be "Gods of Light/Gods of Darkness".​
Q: Are mortals the deciding factor in which side will win? YES
E: Action by The Gods of Law: the Pursuit of Misfortune (Dragons created)

This was my first Event. It sort of threw me for a loop, because I wasn't wanting or expecting any this early. I decided that it meant that early, in the pre-history of the setting, that the Gods of Law created Dragons, intentionally making them extraordinarily greedy and selfish, to throw a monkey wrench into the plans of the Gods of Chaos, and to try to get them fighting amongst themselves. Since this was a Big Thing, I put it under the "Threads" section. It's #1.​
Q: Were angels and demons created to aid in the war? EXCEPTIONAL YES
That "exceptional yes" indicated to me that war was the ONLY reason why angels were created by what I was still calling the "Gods of Light", and later retconned to be the "Gods of Law", and why demons were created by the "Gods of Darkness".​
Q: Angels (and Demons) are: Horrifying Sexuality (procreation through possession)
Oh boy. I asked for a roll against "Event Meaning" random charts, asking to get a random idea of what Angels are like. I had to take a break to think about this, so I ran to the store. When I came back, I'd come to the idea that BOTH Angels and Demons can only propagate their kind by possessing a mortal, and spiritually imprinting themselves on the developing fetus. It doesn't matter whether they possess a male or female, and I furthermore decided that Angels and Demons in their natural state are neuter. This also has horrific implications for the setting... The shock troops of the Gods use mortals as means to make more troops. It then came to me that it would be cool if the Angels and Demons themselves were the ones that created the mortal races, but not out of any sort of benevolence, but as a way to get the upper hand in the war. Below, this is Thread #2​
Q: The Gods of Law are: Evil Violence, Gods of Chaos (acts of war)
Another roll against the Event Meaning charts to get an idea of what I had been calling the "Gods of Light" were like. Basically, I got "evil violence against the Gods of Darkness". I decided that these couldn't be "Gods of Light" or "Gods of Good" in this moment. So I retconned once more to call them the "Gods of Law". They're willing to do ANYTHING to win the war. And remember, these are the guys that have been in charge, on top, since creation. This become Thread #3.​
Q: The Gods of Chaos are: A Surprising Amount of Hope (emotional)
A roll against the Event Meaning charts to find out what the Gods of Chaos are like. "A Surprising Amount of Hope?" That was surprising. Do I have an upside down setting here? The evil guys running the show (The Gods of Law), and the struggling underdogs, the Gods of Chaos, as the good guys? Hmm... I wasn't sure at this point. Nevertheless, I interpreting this to mean that the Gods of Chaos were emotional beings, while the Gods of Law were cold and logical. Surely then, the Gods of Chaos would have hope in being able to overcome their enemies, while the Gods of Law strictly subdue their emotions, and operate on cold hard logic. I like it. These were Threads #4 and #5.​
Q: Are some Gods neutral? NO
Q: Can mortals become Gods? NO
Q: Do the gods procreate? NO
Q: Do the Gods have sex? EXCEPTIONAL YES

So... the Gods cannot breed and create more Gods. But they LOVE SEX! Weird... Some of the stuff in this section was migrated from Scene #2. Now, I had already decided that the head of Law's pantheon had a wife. I decided to roll to see if the Gods of Law were patriarchal, and got an extreme yes. This led to the following few questions... but I decided to apply them to BOTH pantheons instead of just Law's, which is why I moved the questions here.​
Q: Are the women of the Gods also gods? NO
I was sort of hoping for a "Yes" answer here, asking about Law's pantheon. But it occurred to me that a lack of female counterparts among the Gods would explain why the Gods can't procreate. It would also explain why the Law pantheon were extremely patriarchal. I got a "No". So... no female Gods.​
Q: Are all Gods male? YES
This was clarification as to whether it was JUST the Gods of Law that lacked female counterparts. I didn't really want that "yes"... it would have been interesting if the Chaos Pantheon had goddesses. I could see them then being able to appeal much better to mortal women then. The thing is, I wasn't strongly invested in the idea, or I would have just made it so. I could also see a logic to neither pantheon having women. So I rolled. A setting without Goddesses... neuter Angels and Demons too. No divine feminine...​
Q: Are the women of the Gods kept essentially immortal? EXCEPTIONAL YES
This needs to go into the section addressing cosmology, yet how I got to this question doesn't make sense w/o explanation. Just before I rolled this, I was rolling to determine how the head of the Law pantheon was with his wife. It then inspired me to ask the above question. So... an exception yes. I then decided that having sex with one of those horny, horny gods just a single time would make a mortal immortal. Thread #7.​
Q: Are there few Gods? YES
So... just a few gods, that can't procreate. An eternal war, but one in which the balance of power would be dramatically swung by killing just one of the Gods. I like it. I haven't finished them up yet, but I decided to make just 14 Gods - seven Gods of Law, and seven Gods of Chaos. Additionally, there will be a grand total of 6 archangels, and 6 demon lords. I'll go into them later.​
Q: Do all the Gods keep their women cloistered? YES
Below, I determined that the head of Law's pantheon had, "A Complete Lack of Exposure". I decided that it meant that she was cloistered. Essentially, that she was entirely shut away from the world. So... that's how they treat their wives concubines? Not cool. So, immortal, cloistered... and I decided, not rolled, that they're POWERFUL when compared to mortals. They don't quite have what it would take to stand up to an archangel, but maybe one of the lower ranked angels. But the Gods (both sides) think little of them... they're "not fit to fight" and so forth. And some of them.... some of them manage to escape, to get out into the world and disappear. Immortal, plotting, powerful, and disregarded by the patriarchy. Now we're getting into some interesting stuff. And this is when I decide, not rolled, just decided, that there's something terribly wrong with this world. There's no divine feminine... yet.​

Scene #2:
Law's Pantheon

Q: Are the Gods of Law patriarchal? EXCEPTIONAL YES
Q: Maahet, the head of the Pantheon of Law is: Plenty of Humility, affecting the thread, "The Gods of Law are cold and logical".

Ok, so I rolled on the Events table to get an idea about him. I guess he isn't a total jackass.​
Q: Does Maahet care about mortals? YES
Ok. Definitely not a total jackass.​
Q: Does Maahet try to reign in the worst tendencies of the Gods of Light? NO
Ok... so he cares for the mortals... but doesn't make a move to protect them against becoming civilian casualties even from his own side. I figure that he looks at them like a general might look at munitions. He cares about them... but only because they'll help him in trying to win the war. Oh yeah, Cold and Emotionless much?​
Q: Rahat, Maahet's wife, is: A Complete Lack of Exposure
I went through this above, but yeah, cloistered.​
E: New NPC: the Control of Fame (Synryllan Mylyri)
Damn... another Event to try to figure out. Hmm... I decided that it had something to do with a former divine consort that escaped. I figure that The Patriarchy has her down as public enemy number one... but she's been free and causing problems for a long, long time. Afterall, if you have eternity to fight The Patriarchy...​
E: Action by Gods of Law: the Abandonment of Energy
And another Random Event... this one sort of threw me for a loop. I almost just tossed it out. Sometimes you'll get events that you just can't make sense of, or can't use. I haven't thrown one away yet, and I figured out a way to use this one. I decided that the Law Pantheon primarily manipulates matter, and the Chaos pantheon primarily manipulates energy. Originally, it said that it was the "Gods of Chaos: the Abandonment of Energy", but I decided to change that part. See, it makes more sense to me for the Gods of Chaos to be manipulating fire, electricity, energy etc, while the Gods of Law manipulated stone, steel, and so forth. So I changed it. Sue me. Thread #8.​

"Threads"
  1. Extremely selfish and greedy dragons were created by the Gods of Law to sew chaos among the Gods of Chaos.
  2. Angels and Demons must procreate by possessing mortals, or "vessels" as they call them. Mortal races were created by Angels or Demons.
  3. Any act in the war is acceptable by the Gods of Law to inflict harm on the Gods of Chaos.
  4. The Gods of Chaos are emotional.
  5. The Gods of Law are cold and logical.
  6. The Gods of Light keep their women cloistered.
  7. Sex with a God grants immortality.
  8. The Gods of Law primarily manipulate matter; the Gods of Chaos primarily manipulate energy.

Ok, I'm done for the moment. I wanna chat w/ my girlfriend before I head to bed.

Last edited:

That Other Guy

Validated User

Very cool indeed. If I may make my own suggestion - I would rename the Gods of Law "The Fundamental Gods" (meaning they deal with 'solid' ideas; steel, stone, wood, civilisation. I would then call the Gods of Chaos "The Empheral Gods", meaning they deal with intangibles; air, water, emotions, fire.

"Law" and "Chaos" have meanings that I don't think the current descriptions fit, plus it gives a nice, distinct feel to them

GreenTongue

Validated User

Very cool indeed. If I may make my own suggestion - I would rename the Gods of Law "The Fundamental Gods" (meaning they deal with 'solid' ideas; steel, stone, wood, civilization. I would then call the Gods of Chaos "The Empheral Gods", meaning they deal with intangibles; air, water, emotions, fire.
I second that.
Metaphorical War - Erosion, Rust, Warping, Melting, Oxidizing, Fusing, Evaporating, ...
=

archivis

With great penguins...
Validated User

Oooh using Mythic to do world gen? Neat! I'm in!

LordDraqo

Technical Shaman
Validated User

Very cool indeed. If I may make my own suggestion - I would rename the Gods of Law "The Fundamental Gods" (meaning they deal with 'solid' ideas; steel, stone, wood, civilisation. I would then call the Gods of Chaos "The Empheral Gods", meaning they deal with intangibles; air, water, emotions, fire.

"Law" and "Chaos" have meanings that I don't think the current descriptions fit, plus it gives a nice, distinct feel to them
Or perhaps Gods of Stasis and Gods of Change, which would have much the same idea. And I am so subscribed to this.

MrJamela

trad
Validated User

I try to avoid me too posts, but this is really clever.

I may have to try this myself at some point but in the meantime, I'll just watch your progress.

Jaime

Top Bottom