• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mythical Divine Kung Fu in RPG?

Thomas Ufnal Crowlake

Validated User
Recently I've been reading the lore parts of Weapons of the Gods RPG and I fell in love with the descriptions of the kung fu that gods and other mythical beings practiced. Stuff such as walking on beams of sunlight and flames, a strike that brings one's story to its conclusion, fights that take place on a semi-symbolic level with cutting the enemy's shadow or throwing shades of colour as blades etc. I started to wonder if such marvel could be made into an RPG game? I don't feel that WotG is able to do such high-level, conceptual stuff. Narrative systems like FATE or HeroQuest 2 or In A Wicked Age would work, probably, but is there something with more specific mechanics that could be used? I'd go for Nobilis 3e, as it does precisely this type of fairytale/myth logic uberpowers, but it's mechanics is very strongly tied to the domains that Nobilis rule. Although that could be useful for a Celestial Bureaucracy game... Hm.

Nevertheless, has anyone tried to play a game with this sort of power level and flavour? What system did you - or would you - use?

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard good things about Tianxia (from Vigilance Press), which uses the Fate Core rules. There also seems to be a book to allow you to use it with Fate Accelerated Edition if you choose.

It's got a system where you build your own kung fu style from an element and an animal. So you might study Forest Tiger style by combining the Forest element with the Tiger animal. And if I recall, that determines what sorts of stunts you get access to.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
I wouldn't recommend the system but Sidereal martial arts from Exalted covers a lot of the same ground, it was also, like Weapons of the Gods designed by Jenna Moran IIRC.

DavetheLost

Validated User
Might be worth checking out Monkey the RPG of the Journey to the West. Kung fu with members of the Celestial Courts, demons, spirits, etc. The characters are immortals with legendary powers. Playing card driven rather than dice, with some interesting mechanics.

Vox Orbis

I've Always Been Here
Validated User
Howdy!

Does my heart good that some people still reference a long-dead game. :)

While I don't have a specific recommendation on how to do such a game, I will say that I had embarked on designing a Warriors of Zu Mountain game based on those very concepts - truly madly powerful over-the-top magical arts of martial virtue!

Sadly, it never got finished, as I ended up leaving Eos Press in 2009.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
HKAT! With a very high special effects budget (acceptable bits) and more magical abilities.

drkrash

Fighter
Validated User
I'm not sure what kind of mechanical support you specifically want, but for the combat parts of it, I'd certainly recommend Fight!. Admittedly, the non-combat powers would be a bit more hand-wavey. But the scale is easily doable in the rules and characters would be distinctive from one another.

Thomas Ufnal Crowlake

Validated User
Thanks, I'm gonna have to check those things out.

Vox Orbis Vox Orbis , you worked at WotG for Eos? That's so cool! Would you mind me asking one thing that is tangential to this thread but connected to your previous job? I can do it via PM not to offtop here.

Top Bottom