• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.
  • Help Block Article 13. The EU is getting to ready to pass a directive widely known as "Article 13", which will flip copyright requirements on their head in the EU. Where before the law of the land has largely been 47 U.S.C. § 230, which does not hold sites like forums responsible for what their users upload, as long as they respond to take-down requests, now sites would have to proactively monitor and OK every single thing published to their site. There's a long lead-up to the disaster that's likely to follow: EU states would have to turn this directive into law, and even afterward smaller sites would have three years in which they didn't have to put out the millions of dollars required to design such filters. But the long-term result is that the EU is likely to be cut off from a lot of sites on the internet, because the requirements are frankly untenable. If you're in the EU and would like to protest, you can visit https://saveyourinternet.eu/act/. (The EU is also voting on a very problematic link-tax directive that has already failed spectacularly in Spain, for which see The Eff's Discussion, and it's worth protesting too, but it's Article 13 that will permanently balkanize the internet into the EU and the rest of the world.)

Name this game 'Old Sci-Fi/Space Opera Civ-style game'?

Mortimer

Validated User
I need help recalling this one, it had a Civ 1 style graphic interface and took place in a futuristic setting with heavy Dune inspirations (the setting was based on a tabletop RPG setting I believe). You could control units planetside and spaceside, there was alot of politiking with different houses, religions, institutes. It had the whole mix of medieval feudal and high-tech space opera, so you had Knights who led your armies of tanks, etc.

Best I can do right now, someone must know this one?

Pyranose the gnome

Gnomo Desaparecido
Validated User
Thanks! I remember buying this game from a bargain bin. For some reason I can’t recall it didn’t grab me despite being based on a rpg I liked. It was a looong time ago.

empulsive

40-something POC Nerd (he/him)
Validated User
Aye, I played it when it first came out in '97, it was right in my wheelhouse, and I was about 22/23 years old, less than a year out of college. I was terrible at the game, and I never quite understood why. However, I really enjoyed playing the game, so I would routinely start multiplayer games, take control of two of the factions, and play them as one uber-faction for fun.

I'd still lose, mind you, because I was terrible at the game. But I had tons of fun losing, the atmosphere and aesthetics were so great.

Also, funnily enough, I had no idea it was based on an RPG. Which, in hindsight, is kind of weird. Young Empulsive, you were a weird kid.

Dulahan

Validated User
The TTRPG is straight up my favorite TT setting. Period. Amazingly rich setting.

This game? Was very fun, and a good example of the lore being in its genesis! The downside is it did require a very... unit spam sort of playstyle I always hated no matter what 4x game I was in to ever do good at. But it was still good fun!

Top Bottom