NCSoft is killing City of Heroes by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hague

Foreign Agent
Validated User
Update time - I'll be posting the bible and associated material as PDFs shortly. It's going to be a barebones sort of job, since I don't have the software to bookmark stuff, and the CoH TTRPG material is pure background material on some of the higher-level Zones, but it's one way to keep Paragon City alive.

Jim Hague

Foreign Agent
Validated User
Out of interest, how specific/non-specific is the NDA on this, implied or otherwise? I ask because this seems like the sort of thing Paragonwiki would be interested in for a Legacy Information kind of thing.

But the request for individual emails (instead of disseminating it directly to Paragonwiki or something) would imply some sort of block on spreading this bible, even if it's just because no explicit permission from the current/past devs have been given.

Mainly what I'm curious about is: if we receive this story bible, are we allowed to spread it around ourselves, including to Paragonwiki and elsewhere?
(Sorry, hadn't seen this!)

The NDA was released (at least for me) after talking with Sean Fish (Manticore) a few years back after the Eden RPG failed and sat in limbo; there's a long story there that doesn't need to be gone into. I was asking for specific emails just to cut down on, well, spamming folks...but you make a good point. Why not distro it far and wide?

dkellis

Validated User
The NDA was released (at least for me) after talking with Sean Fish (Manticore) a few years back after the Eden RPG failed and sat in limbo; there's a long story there that doesn't need to be gone into. I was asking for specific emails just to cut down on, well, spamming folks...but you make a good point. Why not distro it far and wide?
I'm (obviously) not really up on what official NDAs entail, so I'm not sure what limitations there are still existing, but I was indeed thinking of spreading the PDFs in as many places as I can. I was hesitant to PM my email because I was worried that there was some kind of limitation, and I'm pretty sure I'd forget about it after some time and end up spreading it and causing trouble, but if this isn't a concern, then I'll PM you my email if it isn't too late.

I'll probably post it (after I've actually seen the thing and checked the viability of posting it, technical-issues-wise) in as many relevant places as I can, along with the caveat about it being Old Information. Is this all right? Is there anything else I should add? Do you want credit (and if so, under what name)?

Jim Hague

Foreign Agent
Validated User
And man, so...ok, then! I opened up the ancient vault of documents containing the CoH writing and story bible...and there's a lot more there than I'd originally realized. Aside from the bible and my own writing, there's a large amount of additional material. It's all .zip'ed up and in PDF format; apologies for some of the formatting stuff.

So, without further ado:

Heroes Never Die

Jim Hague

Foreign Agent
Validated User
I'm (obviously) not really up on what official NDAs entail, so I'm not sure what limitations there are still existing, but I was indeed thinking of spreading the PDFs in as many places as I can. I was hesitant to PM my email because I was worried that there was some kind of limitation, and I'm pretty sure I'd forget about it after some time and end up spreading it and causing trouble, but if this isn't a concern, then I'll PM you my email if it isn't too late.

I'll probably post it (after I've actually seen the thing and checked the viability of posting it, technical-issues-wise) in as many relevant places as I can, along with the caveat about it being Old Information. Is this all right? Is there anything else I should add? Do you want credit (and if so, under what name)?
If you want to credit me, that's fine - just use my handle from here. And it's Very Old Information, but still...a glimpse inside what made it, and what didn't.

dkellis

Validated User
And man, so...ok, then! I opened up the ancient vault of documents containing the CoH writing and story bible...and there's a lot more there than I'd originally realized. Aside from the bible and my own writing, there's a large amount of additional material. It's all .zip'ed up and in PDF format; apologies for some of the formatting stuff.

So, without further ado:

Heroes Never Die
Many, many thanks.

Monkey King

Stay classy
Validated User
Boy, Dragon*con sure was fun. Let's hop back on the internet and see what's been going on lately and UPEND ALL THE GODDAMN TABLES.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with NCSoft? Who kills an MMO that is actively making money? And this after my six month recurring billing kicked in right in the middle of August. Tomorrow, I am going to make life a living Hell for somebody at NCSoft customer service if they don't cough up a full refund.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Boy, Dragon*con sure was fun. Let's hop back on the internet and see what's been going on lately and UPEND ALL THE GODDAMN TABLES.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with NCSoft? Who kills an MMO that is actively making money? And this after my six month recurring billing kicked in right in the middle of August. Tomorrow, I am going to make life a living Hell for somebody at NCSoft customer service if they don't cough up a full refund.
Don't settle for anything less then a Refund. Don't let them BS you with an offer to put that subscription into Aion or Lineage or any of that Crap. They wanted to sacrifice a perfectly good, money-making Western Superhero MMO to put more resources into propping up their faltering Korean MMOs? Let them suffer the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom