• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro]Arabian Nights rpgs?

Whitewings

Banned
Re: Arabian Nights rpgs?

Avalanche Press puts out an Arabian Nights style sourcebook called Endless Sands. I have no idea of its quality, as I've never read it.

Witness123

Validated User

I admit i have not seen the film since I was a small child, but I definitely recall it as being the best of the bunch. And who would want to get into an argument with a small child? And i totally approved of you leaving off Ferrigno, repurposed Sadko films, and so on.
As a small child, I thought the Harryhausen's were the best (although, at the time, I recall also liking the Arabian Knights cartoon from the Banana Splits Show). They were my also my introduction to Sinbad. So my young child would argue with yours ;P

benben

Validated User

Re: inspiration
A few months ago I completed "The Desert of Souls" by Howard Andrew Jones.

It is very good, and completely in theme for what you are looking for.

Futurella

Social Justice Witch
Validated User

Oh, and if you do it as stories within stories, then the game starts with the PC group playing Scheherazade, and being challenged to tell a story. The game that unfolds is the story that the group tells. The GM can thus be Shahryar, asking what happens next. Or Perhaps Shahryar is some kind of Trouble Pool. Either way, the trouble pool is a sort of evil influence throughout the tales, representing questions like 'And didn't that kill him?" and "But wouldnt the guards hear all that?" and so on. So the trouble pool represents Shahryar's growing impatience with the story - if it gets too big, he kills Scheherazade and the stories end.

Dulahan

Validated User

Unless I missed it while skimming, since no one else has mentioned it.

Yes. There is a Burning Sands RPG now. Based on the third edition L5R Mechanics.

grey_tarot

Validated User

Not read it, but there is QAGS Sinbad (and a couple of follow up scenarios)

Stevethulhu

Rising from the Depths
Validated User

Unless I missed it while skimming, since no one else has mentioned it.

Yes. There is a Burning Sands RPG now. Based on the third edition L5R Mechanics.
You need the L5R 3rd edition book to be able to play it. It's more of an expansion than a standalone game. And the continual references to the language of Emerald Empirei are quite funny. I think someone did a copy-paste to replace all instances of Rokugan in the final draft with Emerald Empire.

There's also a pdf converting LBS to L5R 4th edition here.

Last edited:

CosmicCowboy

Wanted: Dead or Alive
Validated User

It's billed sword and sorcery, but a lot of examples from In a Wicked Age make me think it's a good fit.

Phil Masters

Validated User

Dont forget Captain Sindbad from 1963, starring guy Williams!
That one just felt ... totally bland to me. I'm not saying that, say, the Harryhausen movies were accurate recreations of the feel of the original tales, or of medieval Islamic culture, but they had a specific flavour of their own. Captain Sinbad just felt generic, a few turbans aside.

Top Bottom