• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro][FATE Core] Ghostbusters

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User
Thoughts on a Ghostbusters hack:

Ghosts are a collection of aspects. The more powerful the ghost, the more aspects they have.

When you make a roll against a ghost, the difficulty is the number of aspects it has.

Fighting ghosts isn’t a conflict – it’s a contest. The losing side takes a number of mild consequences equal to the difference between the winner and the loser. If they won 3-1, you take two mild consequences. You can stack consequences on a single character but that steps up the consequence. If a ghost wins a contest, you have to move to a different location. Movie example: The Ghostbusters engage Slimer in the hallway. They lose the contest and Venkman gets “He slimed me” as a consequence. They catch up with Slimer in the ballroom and win. Slimer takes the “trapped” moderate consequence.

Gear like PKE meters, proton packs and so on are special gear stunts. They still count against refresh, but you can deactivate the stunt to represent when they aren’t available (damaged, left at the HQ) and get a Fate point. To reactive the stunt, you must spend a Fate point to do so.

Players crate their franchise as well – one aspect per player. These determine their headquarters, vehicle, storage facility and whatever else story things might be important like Nosy Neighbors or Slightly Haunted - Must Go For Cheap!.

Obsidian

Validated User
Re: [FATE Core] Ghostbusters

Interesting (especially since this was something I was about to attempt myself), but I think it's a non-negotiable for most people interested in playing a Ghostbusters game that they have access to proton packs etc. It seems extreme to me to restrict their use. You could maybe get more fun out of allowing ghosts to freely tag scene aspects like "Lots of expensive ballroom geegaws to hide behind" and "He's an ugly little spud" (in a social combat kind of thing, where you check to see if the ghost freaks out the 'buster -- just as Slimer does to Venkman during the sliming scene).

I really like your idea for having everyone collectively create the franchise HQ, vehicle, etc. however, and I will definitely be stealing that! *yoink*

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User

The players control if they deactivate gear stunts or not. If the GM wants to mess with the proton pack, they need to slap an aspect on it.

Obsidian

Validated User

Yes, and I'm saying that for most players having a proton pack is an important part of being a Ghostbuster, and would not be a negotiable. So why put something out there mechanically that isn't a desirable part of play?

J.J.

Arduin Survivor
Validated User

Yes, and I'm saying that for most players having a proton pack is an important part of being a Ghostbuster, and would not be a negotiable. So why put something out there mechanically that isn't a desirable part of play?
I would assume the proton pack is included for those few people who want to be the guy without one and just have the pke meter, the goggles, or some other doodad(s)/powers - "hey, I'm a psychic" probably eats up refresh. Or the guy who isn't carrying the proton pack but, instead, a slime sprayer gizmo.

It's much more simple to include all gear and trust people not to remove stuff they don't want to remove than to try to explain why one item is sanctified and CAN'T be left in a closet.

VictorC

I kick trolls
Validated User

The Ghostbusters had other pieces of equipment. There were the tanks of slime they used to spray things/people with. You can't have both at the same time.

This and other pieces of equipment I'm sure I'm forgetting from the cartoon(s)/comics... etc, could be used to indicate the function you have as a member of a Ghostbusters' team. So, yeah, certainly the potential to be desirable mechanically.

Furthermore, the Ghostbusters were shorthanded, given more money and manpower who's to say a power nerd like Egon wouldn't have foregone the more action-oriented portion of the job in favor of tasks of a more scientific bent?

There's a lot of ground to be covered in a Ghostbusters game, no need to type cast everyone.

Last edited:

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User

I would assume the proton pack is included for those few people who want to be the guy without one and just have the pke meter, the goggles, or some other doodad(s)/powers - "hey, I'm a psychic" probably eats up refresh. Or the guy who isn't carrying the proton pack but, instead, a slime sprayer gizmo.

It's much more simple to include all gear and trust people not to remove stuff they don't want to remove than to try to explain why one item is sanctified and CAN'T be left in a closet.
This. Some people might want to play the receptionist. Or the janitor. Or the reporter assigned to cover the new franchise. Or the plucky 10-year old sidekick.

Differentiating between the proton pack and the slime blower was the initial reason for it. But other folks might want to make up their own weird science gear too, like Ghost Punchers or Neutron Lassos.

Orsino

Inveterate Layabout
Validated User

Maybe "Ghostbuster" should be a package, like "Wizard" is in Dresden, including points spent on gear (either proton pack, or slime blower, or other weird doohickey). Otherwise, be a "Normal Person" or "Weirdo" if you have psychic powers or something. If someone wants to play a Ghostbuster, at no point are they going to enjoy being told "there's a ghost here, but you can't bust it, for reasons." Ray had proton packs in the trunk of his car, if I remember right. (Because why not have unlicensed particle accelerators in the back of your car.)

Last edited:

J.J.

Arduin Survivor
Validated User

Nothing about the suggestion implies people NOT having the pack if they want it. If they want it, they wouldn't be trading it in to begin with. If it's not traded in, they would have reasonable access to it - like in the trunk of their car or whatnot. They aren't going to be pulling these out of their shirt pocket or have them on their backs 24/7. eg - Venkman at Dana's apartment (he had some other turkey baster gizmo).

Even in a scenario where a GM might try to tell them they have to drive back to HQ to get them, someone can just drop a fate point on the scene to declare "I fetch the proton packs out of my car, I have one for everyone..." if they feel a need to start fighting right now.

Kind of confused, here, about how the option of not carrying a proton pack is a problem.

Top Bottom