• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro][FATE] I have a random relationship table, now what?

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.
Re: [FATE] I have a random relationship table, now what?

I've had two insights into this table concept since I wrote it up.

The first is that the main difference between it and a regular 2-dimensional range of results (from -4 to +4) is that it opens up the middle of the bell curve. That is, on a normal 4dF, you roll a 0 about a quarter of the time (or something like that). On this table, you expand that single result into three results (0000, 00+-, and ++--). Which is handy, and adds variation, even though it only actually adds 6 new results (15 total, instead of 9).

The other interesting thing about this tale is that it's actually an equilateral triangle - the three corners being ++++, ----, and 0000. I didn't realize that at first because of how I laid it out, and because FATE trains us to ignore blank side of the die - but it means we've got achart with three different axis. There are probably a lot of triads you could use that would give you a neat table: crown, church, and guild; social, mental, and physical; heaven, hell, and mundane...

I think I see a way to use this to generate a social relationship map on the fly. I'm sure there are a lot of those out there, but I've never designed one, so - if I can get it to work the way I think it should - I'll post it.

bwridge

Validated User

And the 12 Attributes and three groupings (physical, social, mental) of Strands of Fate would fit perfectly...

Good work!

BRian

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

OK, here's what I cam up with. I want a way to quickly sketch out the relationship between a bunch of groups within a city or kingdom. I could just make it up, but I'm getting predictable in my old age, so...

First, take a blank version of the triangle table. Write a bunch of organizations in it, or just make up names to drop in. If you want, put the organizations that are central to the plot in the center of the table. Groups who are totally weird or peripheral should go on the three corners. You don't need to fill in the whole grid. (You could also roll to position them.)

Here's mine:

Major Powers of the Kingdom

Then, we build a table of possible relationships. The more extreme are in the corners; I vaguely assigned violence to the far right corner and deception to the bottom corner, but only sort of.

Relationship Map

Great. Now, here's the process.

1. Roll the dice and consult the first table. If you land on an empty square, move towards the closest corner until you hit a group (to involve the edgier groups) or in towards the center (to make a more centralized map.) Write down the name of the group. Or, arbitrarily pick a group.

2. Roll on the second table to find a relationship. Write it after your group name.

3. Repeat step 1 to give the other half of the relationship. If you get the same group as in step 1, either reroll, or keep it, assuming that the group has internal fractures.

4. Repeat step to to link up a third group. Continue until you have included every group, or until it's about as complicated as you want it to get. (Or until you roll "war of assassination, because we definitely want that in there.)

5. If you want, pick any unlinked groups and roll a relationship for them as well.

Here's my demo. I rerolled one result as too repetitive, but the rest are as rolled. (I don't list the rolls I made, but you probably get the idea.)

The House of Goin is locked in a cold war with...

The Mad Tinkers, who are being blackmailed by...

The House of Goin, who (also) wants to discover the agenda of...

The Cult of Soon, who is locked in a cold war with...

The Royal House of Harvast, who has a cordial rivalry with...

(another branch of) Harvast, who (also) has a cordial rivalry with...

The Cult of Soon, who (also) is a branch of

The Court Alchemists, who pursue the same goal as...

The House of Perish, who fights a war of assassination with...

The Royal House of Harvast.

Let's tie in the the Wizard Argul, arbitrarily. He... wants to discover the secret agenda of... Capper's Gang? Huh.

The result? I kind of like it. The Tinkers are locked in a war with a noble house, who is controlling them through blackmail - clearly they committed a crime, murdered a prince or something. Goin is using them to go after the Cult of Soon, some kind of subsection of the Alchemists. Clearly Perish is also into alchemy, presumably to aid in their assassination attempts against the royal house - which is somewhat split, with some members also pursuing their own alchemy in a kind of magical arms race. Who knows what Argul is up too - why does he think Capper's Gang is important? Could Capper be the missing prince, theoretically murdered by Tinkers?

The only drawback is that you still have to draw the relationship map. I'd love it if you could use the diagram already made for that - maybe you write the group names on a separate sheet of tracing paper over the chart, and when you're done you draw the connecting lines and relationships (aka Aspects).

Is this worth doing? Maybe not... but there's no way I would have created this exact relationship map on my own, so it's different. The key is to put the important groups, or the types of relationships you want to highlight, in the center of the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User

You're more or less made a campaign generator in two charts. Good on you.

Scarik

You die as you live.
Validated User

That's a pretty sweet campaign seed.

tonpa

Just Tonpa...
Validated User

Extremely nice one there! While I have done random throws with Fate dices, either for some random events or backgrounds, it never has occurred me how to lay these out like you did, opening up the different options extremely well.

Would you mind to send me the base layout (empty boxes with colors), if you are doing this with?

Well done, I'm impressed!

EDIT: I cannot find the words how simply awesome that is. If you want to say randomly choose few Abilities for your character you just take a table, with physical, social and mental distributed there, corners have affinities and go home. The most likely pink ones can have the most common ones, say Perception for Physical, Empathy for Social and Knowledge for Social. For metro level hero you could say take 2 to everything except affinity, roll it say seven times, the last two being reductions. If you roll reduction to affinity that you don't have, you just re-roll.

That's the easiest one. But you could add anything to the table, say artillery bombardment, random mechanical problems, nasty rumors, random crime event... Heck this would be child's play to link to some template cards to make random npc's or player characters with superpowers.

The best thing here is that it's simple, it's fast and it uses fudge dices, which also means that you can add more variation by manipulating the dices if you so choose; the re-roll "1"'s one golden dice for example.

Cheers

Last edited:

Wolfwood2

Validated User

Diaspora uses some random tables in its cluster generation. (It's that old Traveller influence.) Rather than try to hit both axis with one roll, they just have a table for each planetary trait it wants to randomize with a list of possible outcomes going from -4 to +4. Naturally extreme outliers are rarer, but with 4 traits for each planet a consistently mediocre planet is also rare.

So you might start off with "Intensity of Emotion":
+4 Extreme, once-in-a-lifetime positive emotion
+3 Strong positive emotion
+2 Definitely in your top 20 people
+1 Positive feelings about this person
0 Neutral on this person
-1 Mildly negative about this person
-2 One of your least favorite people
-3 Strongly negative emotions
-4 WE HATES IT FOREVER!!!

Length of Acquaintance
+4 Shared a womb
+3 Childhood friends
+2 Schoolyard chums
+1 Met as we were starting out
0 Met as adults "a while ago"
-1 Known them months
-2 Known them weeks
-3 Known them days
-4 Who is that person that just crossed my path!?

It's actually kind of fun trying to take relationship traits and slot them on a +4 to -4 scale.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User

This is very awesome. Well done.

The Anglerre Companion has a pretty extensive adventure generator; since LOA uses d6-d6, it uses 2d6 instead of Fudge dice. It can go into a pretty significant amount of detail, if desired, but top-level, it'd mesh really well with this premise generator. In fact, I may do just that next time I have a chance....

Hafwit

Try to remember peace
Validated User

Wow, that last relationship map is golden. :) Thanks.

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

Thank you everybody who said nice things about this! I'm glad it continues to look shiny under scrutiny, and am excited to try it in my next game.

Diaspora uses some random tables in its cluster generation. (It's that old Traveller influence.) Rather than try to hit both axis with one roll, they just have a table for each planetary trait it wants to randomize with a list of possible outcomes going from -4 to +4. Naturally extreme outliers are rarer, but with 4 traits for each planet a consistently mediocre planet is also rare.

<snip out awesome table for brevity's sake>
Wolfwood, very cool! I love the Diaspora system generation system, and also the way Traveler could define a planet (or character) with a single string of digits. I am jealous of the ORE system's ability to generate a character (or anything else) with a single roll of 11 dice (as advertised by the name, One Roll Engine)... if I could port something like that to FATE, at least in part, I'd be thrilled.

What you've just demonstrated, of course, is that the triangle table adds complication that is not, strictly speaking, necessary. Clearly the table itself and the relationship map generator are two independent concepts, which can happily run off in different directions.

Sticking with the table for a moment: I'm still interested in how to generate different numbers of results in a way that feels FATE-ish. So... rolling 4dF gives you a total of 81 outcomes. FATE packs this into 9 outcomes by ignoring everything but the total - it doesn't care about how many +'s and -'s come up, or in what order. The triangle table expands this to 15 outcomes by tracking the number of +'s and -'s - it differentiates between ++-- and +-00. My question is: can you expand it further?

If you track the position of each die, you're back up to 81 results, each equally likely. Handy if you need it, but not really that interesting. So I'm trying to figure out if there is a non-arbitrary device for numbers in between 15 and 81, ideally with clusters of higher-probability results. I thought I had one on the bus this morning - I have a long commute - but it turns out to not be as clean and intuitive as I hoped. I'll keep working on it, and post it if it turns out to be useful in any way.

Tonpa, you asked for a template. I did this in InDesign, which I assume is not useful to everybody; but if I can turn that into a fillable PDF in the next day or so, I will.

Final note: I wonder if you could use the triangle table to generate a series of zones for a battlefield, or place PCs and NPCs on a map at the start of a conflict? Hmm.

Top Bottom