• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro][FATE] I have a random relationship table, now what?

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User
Re: [FATE] I have a random relationship table, now what?

Well, using dice in four colors gives you all 81 outcomes -- but it strikes me as pretty inelegant. I like the 15 possibilities of the triangle. I can pretty easily come up with 15 outcomes for a single event, or 15 gradations of a relationship, but 81's a little... well, I may as well use percentile dice.

Matt Sheridan

Minus 10 horse points.
Validated User

Oh, man, this is nice stuff. The rare-common-rare spread of a regular, totalled-up 4dF roll is good for lots of stuff, but this triangle of three extremes fits itself to lots of great fictional possibilities. Having three powers or paths or factions in a setting is generally more interesting than two. And there's a nice symmetry in using triangular tables alongside skill pyramids.

Plus, you can vary the size of the table by changing the number of dice rolled. 3dF lets you create a table with just 10 results, while 5dF gets you 21 (and the outer corners become even less likely).

Anyway, Gamma World has me all exited about random tables, these days, so I'm definitely interested in making use of stuff like this. I must do some thinking...

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

Would you mind to send me the base layout (empty boxes with colors), if you are doing this with?
Well, it took me long enough - but I finally got around to turning this into a fillable PDF. Let me know if it works (or, more importantly, if it doesn't). It prints fairly large, since I sometimes intend to print it out blank and fill it in by hand during play.

FATE_triangle.vs1.1.fillable.pdf

I'm throwing this up here free for anybody to use, in case that's not clear. :-D

(Edit: the first version wasn't saving properly - hopefully this one will work better.)

Last edited:

Scarik

You die as you live.
Validated User

Well, it took me long enough - but I finally got around to turning this into a fillable PDF. Let me know if it works (or, more importantly, if it doesn't). It prints fairly large, since I sometimes intend to print it out blank and fill it in by hand during play.

FATE_triangle.vs1.fillable.pdf

I'm throwing this up here free for anybody to use, in case that's not clear. :-D
It doesn't work for me, it it just my acrobat?

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

It doesn't work for me, it it just my acrobat?
Dang it. Probably not; further testing reveals that if I download it myself, I can edit it and resave - but my text isn't there when I open it again. I'll investigate and hopefully repost.

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

OK, I've re-uploaded the form. It now works on my system - that is, if I download & save it, I can add text to several fields, save it again, and still have the text when I open it. Let me know if you're still having problems - this is my first time distributing an editable form.

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User

I just tried to save a filled in form and it worked fine for me.

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

I'm on facebook too much; I automatically tried to "like" that photo above.

Oh, and Devlin1 - you tried to message me, but your inbox is apparently full, and I could not respond.

devlin1

Human Paraquat
Validated User

Oh, and Devlin1 - you tried to message me, but your inbox is apparently full, and I could not respond.
Yeah, that happens a lot -- sorry. It's fixed now, if you want to give it another go.

Top Bottom