• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro][FATE] I have a random relationship table, now what?

Tophocles

Last Guy in the Airlock
Validated User
Re: [FATE] I have a random relationship table, now what?

This is awesome -- thanks so much for posting the pdf! Let's hope it gets some good use.

Cgeist7

Validated User

Just want to agree with all of the other posters above - this is fantastic. I am gearing up for a Strands game and this will come in very handy indeed....

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

I'm not sure what is this thing I'm seeing, and the link still doesn't work for me. I suspect its on my end now.
I believe you are seeing an action figure of Diana, the acrobat from the 1980's cartoon series Dungeons and Dragons. I suspect she is not your problem.

I'm not sure what the problem is, though - if you still want do download the fillable PDF, feel free to message me and I can try to troubleshoot.

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User

This table should be a standard design pattern for Fate. Not to say everyone needs lots of tables, but if you need a table, this is it. I wish someone (ideally me) had thought of it before summer of 2009.

Mytholder

GAMMA Clearance
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Heh, I was fiddling with FATE random tables last night, but this is much more elegant. Mind if I borrow it for a project?

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User

This is fantaaaaaastic.

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User

The triangular nature of this extends down into its sub-groups pretty nicely, I should note. You could break this down into 5 groups of 3, whenever thinking about how to populate the 15 squares. I'd probably start with the center and the extremes first, to define the shape of whatever it is I'm working on:

The Likeliest ( most probable, lightest squares) - These represent the centrist forces, the most common elements, etc.
____________, ____________, ____________.

Darkest Squares (3, less than 1/10th as likely as the likeliest) - These are the extremes, the three forces acting on the setting, the rarest elements, etc.
____________, ____________, ____________.

After those, you've got one group of three that's about half as likely as the likeliest -- these could represent the three extreme forces at work on the three centers, as biased versions of the norm that haven't gone fringe yet.

Then, remaining, you've got two groups of three -- or three groups of two -- each member about a third as likely as the likeliest. Going with the three groups of two thing, you could start with each member of the prior biased group and create "schisms", where one of the two un-represented forces pushes the philosophy in a new direction.

That last bit might be a bit opaque; suppose your three points, the three rarities, of the triangle are A, B, and C. Your "Biased" group members might be milder versions of those three extremes: A1, B1, C1. Then your three groups of two would be populated by A1 with a B drift, A1 with a C drift, B1 with an A drift, B1 with a C drift, C1 with an A drift, C1 with a B drift.

Put it all in a blender and I bet you've got an interesting randomizable representation of several belief systems in collision. Religion is messy, after all.

Though relatedly, I'm also looking at this from the perspective of, say, randomized superpowers, where the extremes are the super-rare powers (maybe that's magic, mind control, and teleportation in your setting), and the three commons are the three superpowers/power categories you see most often (super-strength, toughness, flight, for example).

Interesting stuff, at any rate.

Mechalus

Validated User

This table should be a standard design pattern for Fate. Not to say everyone needs lots of tables, but if you need a table, this is it. I wish someone (ideally me) had thought of it before summer of 2009.
I'd have to agree with this statement. Way cool.

Gullerbutry

I'm working on it.

I like the 3-axis organization scheme, above. I definitely like the idea of a continuum of beliefs or qualities as you run from corner to corner, or center to edge. That said, I have a hard time actually filling in the squares with examples that map perfectly.

Though relatedly, I'm also looking at this from the perspective of, say, randomized superpowers, where the extremes are the super-rare powers (maybe that's magic, mind control, and teleportation in your setting), and the three commons are the three superpowers/power categories you see most often (super-strength, toughness, flight, for example).
OK, this gets me thinking about one of the ideas that started me on this table to begin with - that is, random NPC generation. It's tough in Fate, because Aspects are awesomely arbitrary, but here's my first stab at it (using SotC skills).

1. Choose a peak skill level for the NPC - +1, +4, whatever.

2. Roll on the Skill Table, below. It should give you 1-2 skills to choose from - pick one at peak skill level.

3. Roll on the Aspect table, below. Fill in the blank with whatever seems appropriate. Roll twice if you want your NPCs to have as many aspects as PCs, or only once to keep them simple.

If you want to think of these as phases, go ahead. It may help in choosing skills, naming aspects, and creating backstory.

4. Repeat steps 2-3 for the second tier of skills. Whichever square you roll for skills gives you your first skill; for your second skill, either choose the second skill in the square, or move one square towards a corner. The + corner will give you physical skills, the - corner gives you "mental" skills, and the 0 corner gives you social skills. (Sort of, anyway.)

If you duplicate an aspect, either fill in the blank differently or move a square towards the corner.

5. Repeat step 3 for each tier, choosing as many skills as necessary to round out the pyramid.

6. No stunts. That's too hard. Just pick them for the top three skills, or make some kind of awesome table I can't think of.

I should probably test this. Here goes:

Femme Fatale at a bar in Rio:
roll: "-" and "--+" =
+3 Leadership. (Ooh, she has minions.)
aspect: Can't resist... "nice guys." (She'll move in on somebody who isn't the lady's man.)

roll: "--+" and "-++"
+2 Science, and (let's say) Empathy
aspect: The go-to gal for... "information on old maps."

roll: "-+" and "--++"
+1: Rapport, and... Contacting and Resources
aspect: I know "these mountains" like the back of my hand.

So we've got a scientist with a crew, maybe an archeologist, who is just the person the PCs need - but with the social skills to keep her from being a pushover, and a bit of her own agenda.

I like how that worked out, but the obviously lesson is: don't decide too much about the character before you start rolling. I lucked out and actually came up with a decent femme fatale, and being able to choose from several skills helped, but really it was just random... as advertised, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom