• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro] [FFXI] So what are you doing now?

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Myself, I'm making steady progress toward Sea. My static has gone 1/1 on every fight after diablos, and we're just gearing up for the Airship fight now.

I'm also levelling Ninja, 62 at the moment. Good lord this job is expensive.

I'm looking forward to hitting Salvage for some of the ridiculously good gear on offer there, plus I can do it with my friends rather than my endgame shell.

rgalex

Banned
Re: [FFXI] So what are you doing now?

I'm working toward 70 SMN but took a detour to get WHM up to 37 first. I've already got my testimony. Sometime before New Year I've got to go get Fenrir and Diabolos as Avatars. Then it's time to make the rounds again to get the Evoker's Ring but I already have my Carby Mitts.

I finally got a static group to do CoP with and we are getting ready to go fight Ouryo. My LS also seems to be on a Genbu kick as well and we go kill him 2-3 times every Friday.

I'm also trying to raise ElegantGeist, my blue chocobo. So far it's going alright, but recently she seems to have become stubborn.

FortMan

Viva Romanesco!
Validated User

4/5 on RDM AF2. (Only gloves now...)

CoP @ 5-2 (Promy-Vahzl). Still looking for a static ;.;

Currently staying at parents' house for the holiday, so probably no more progress until I come back. (;.; X 2)

Good luck on Airship fight Ubermonkey. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I finally got a static group to do CoP with and we are getting ready to go fight Ouryo. My LS also seems to be on a Genbu kick as well and we go kill him 2-3 times every Friday.
I bet that makes all the blm in your LS happy :D

Genbu's prolly my favourite god to kill, mainly cos I get to use my epeen merited burst spells :D

I can't reccomend sticking with your static enough, with mine, we've managed to breeze through every fight and make good, if slightly slow, progress

4/5 on RDM AF2. (Only gloves now...)
Wow, grats. At least the tough ice pieces are out of the way.

I'm 2/6 on blm af2. Unfortunately only 2 hats have dropped in a year in my LS, and I'm about 5th on the list currently :/

Have you been hitting CoP Dynamis zones, and all the horror they bring?

Lisa Nadazdy

Colour Out of Space
Validated User

I've been leveling SAM (L 37 right now). I recently got Ochiudo's Kotes- 2.5 mill on Titan. I tried farming them myself, but beating a half-dozen gilsellers in a small area for the NM that drops them was an exercise in futility, especially when they use speed/movement hacks to aid in claiming. The only good that came out of it is that I managed to get a couple of them investigated and banned for using cheats. I have enough gil to get my gi body armor at 40, but there's none on auction right now.

On the flip side, my DRG is at 51. I've been enjoying that job quite a bit, and even getting the odd invite out of the blue. Strange.

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I've been leveling SAM (L 37 right now). I recently got Ochiudo's Kotes- 2.5 mill on Titan.
Colour me jealous! They're "only" running at 1.6~ mil on fenrir, but considering an average months income for me is about 1mil, give or take, they're not really in my league :D And nin is destroying my ability to do anything with money bar tools :p

I tried farming them myself, but beating a half-dozen gilsellers in a small area for the NM that drops them was an exercise in futility, especially when they use speed/movement hacks to aid in claiming. The only good that came out of it is that I managed to get a couple of them investigated and banned for using cheats.
Yeah, me and a friend attempted to camp these and fumas a few times, but the blatant bot claiming put us off. Good job on the RMT kill :D

I have enough gil to get my gi body armor at 40, but there's none on auction right now.
Nice, thats a nice piece that'll last until hauby. I borrowed one for my nin until late 40's (replaced it with brigandine).

On the flip side, my DRG is at 51. I've been enjoying that job quite a bit, and even getting the odd invite out of the blue. Strange.
Aht Urgan seems to be helping drg out quite a bit, with all the piercing weak mobs.

Hashmalum

Lucavi of Order

Sadly, since I was forced to "upgrade" to Windows XP, I can barely run FF11 even in 256x256 without running out of memory and crashing. (Under 98 I could handle anything but Besieged in 512x512, and even then I'd only run out of memory and crash 50% of the time.) Right now, I'm just trying to get a little money together so I can buy some event stuff (down to 6k) before it's over.

rgalex

Banned

I'm curious what you guys do for gil. I'm on Ifrit and it seems like we have a middle ground economy (our AH isn't too high or too low) but I'm still always scraping up gil. I've made do with long periods of saving up every last coin, but when you say you pull in 1 mil a month my jaw drops.

Now I'm guessing you are going to say crafting or gardening or some such. I don't get to play more than 2-3 times a week, maybe a 4th day if work was light, so keeping up with gardening is not really possible. I've worked up my cooking but it really doesn't seem to help pay the bills. Without some startup money I've had a rough time getting Alchemy or Smithing going. Any pointers?

rgalex

Banned

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, the PS3 now supports the PS2 HDD. So if you have a PS3 (or plan to get one eventually) you can play FFXI off of it. It took about 4 hours for me to load and update the whole thing.

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I'm curious what you guys do for gil. I'm on Ifrit and it seems like we have a middle ground economy (our AH isn't too high or too low) but I'm still always scraping up gil. I've made do with long periods of saving up every last coin, but when you say you pull in 1 mil a month my jaw drops.
I have an enm duo static with an LSmate. We do brothers every 5-7 days. Average 150K each in drops, occasionally alot more (last time we got a cloud evoker, worth in the region of 10mil, if you can find a buyer. We're keeping it to use with our LS. ENM's are a great way to make money.

Drops from exp. I generally manage one KS30 and one BC40 every month or 2 that brings up the average.

Any number of shortlived money making schemes, each more ridiculous than the last :D

I can make good money crafting low level instruments, but they sell very slowly so I generally don't.

Now I'm guessing you are going to say crafting or gardening or some such. I don't get to play more than 2-3 times a week, maybe a 4th day if work was light, so keeping up with gardening is not really possible. I've worked up my cooking but it really doesn't seem to help pay the bills. Without some startup money I've had a rough time getting Alchemy or Smithing going. Any pointers?
I'm a 59.something woodworker, 19 goldsmith and 10 cook. I make very very little from crafting. Generally it doesnt provide a fast enough turnaround for my lack of patience :D

However, I can make money crafting, from any craft (bar alchemy, as far as I can see): Every craft has a low level synth consumable that sells for a profit. Craft it using guild materials, and sell it at the appropriate auction house to make money off skilling people. Its not a great amount of money, but its a very, very good profit, takes no real craft skill, shifts relatively quickly, and is useful for lower level characters looking for "get by" money.

Also read THIS. It's by far the most solid advice for crafting that I've ever seen.

Edit: Pertinent info

MikesJustice said:
Q: How can I afford to skill up my craft?
A: This question has a few different answers depending on your situation.

If your job is of higher level, than most likely you can farm more effectively compared to a lower level craft. Do so until your crafting gil/hr ratio is higher than your farming gil/hr ratio.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend this.

Offset your crafting cost. Do this by setting goals and targets. Starting out is slow enough, so you should have a game plan.

Keep skill up sessions and profit sessions separate.

Day 1: Create 10,000g in salable materials.
Day 2: Spend 10,000g skilling up your craft

With repeated use and increased gil amounts used, you will skill up fairly decent. You could even create that same 10,000g in one day, and spend 10,000g in the same day, allowing you to skill your craft for a total zero loss. Rinse and repeat this offset cost method
Abuse FFXIah.com Find profit synths and use them.

I also find I can break even on cooking all the way to 60 if Im careful about what I synth. Research, research, research! Find a niche and exploit it.

Also, when I say a million a month, none of that is profit, I burn through it at a ferocious rate, on consumables, ninja tools, gear and impulse buys. It also comes in at a trickle, so I never have alot of liquid cash.

Top Bottom