• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro] [FFXI] So what are you doing now?

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Generally I have all alliance spells as <stal> and just scroll up or down the list, and all party spells as <stpt>. As WHM in an alliance, my primary duty is to my party, and help out the other parties as I can, but I don't optimize macros for it.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Since I've only got a couple of bars setup for WHM now, I opted to throw one together for alliance healing specifically - basically an exact replica of the normal party healing CTRL and ALT bars but with the Cure and -Na macros set to <stal>.

<stal> definitely made targeting alliance members easier but within a party I still find it faster to use the F1-F6 keys.

It was neat getting to act as the backup healer in Dynamis Divergence Sandy too. Much less pressure than main healing but it gave me a sense off how quick I need to be in responding to unexpected hits (mostly by when I couldn't get to people in time).

It was also interesting trying to balance healing with mp retention. As a backup, I only got low-ish a few times (mostly after dying myself), but even with that I could see the difference between swiftly jumping back into my Idle set for 5 mp/tick vs my Cure set which only gets 2 mp/tick. (Sublimation was useful too, though since it's blown away when you die, it kind of fails at a time when you're most likely to need it).

It's funny because the very first Dynamis I ever did was regular Dynamis Sandy, with a full alliance, all experienced with it, and wow was it 1,000x less smooth than last night's run. I recall multiple TPKs and (as a PLD) barely being able to survive even the trash pulls. We had a few deaths last night but they seemed relatively unimpactful. People just got up and continued on with things.

Pretty delighted to have the Cleric's Torque fully powered up too - those are some very nice bonuses it's packing!

I'm thinking now I should put some time in on the Telchine set though. I recall a couple calls for Haste, but I think I shouldn't have been the one to answer them. In part, obviously, because I've only got Haste 1 and Garuda can do Hastega 2, but also my Haste has little more than the base duration (I think) where someone with the proper gear could have a lot longer duration.

It was neat listening to the loot division too. It sounds like there were certain people signed up for certain job loot and they could choose to take a random lot on it or pass, presumably with some measure in place where if you win some loot one week, the other people who are looking for similar loot can the chance the next time?

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mostly the calls for Haste were coming from me since our WHM wasn't really keeping up a haste cycle and Manbeast was too busy to focus on his RDM mule to keep up a Haste II. Ideally, the party's healer/buffer/whateverer should be the one hasting. Wargod was just slacking a little!

We should be able to make your idle set MP recovery a little better. Iyanaga +2 head/hands/feet, ring, Assiduity Slacks +1, Homilary (from Adoulin quest), Oneiros Grip. That would give you 8~10 MP per tic refresh (3 from Iyanaga, 1~2 from pants, 1 from Moonshade Earring, 2 from Vanya body, 1 from Homilary, ~1 from Oneiros Grip (active when under 75% max MP)).

Now that you're done with Adoulin, we could try some Sinister Reign to try to get a Refresh +3 Witching Robe to idle in instead of the Vanya body, for another 1 MP/tic.

The way loot works:

Everyone gets an equal cut of the three types of currency that drop (rusted cards, blackened cards, heroism crystals), except mules (one share per player, regardless of how many characters they bring). This is basically how I can afford to buy everything I do.

Artifact drops work as follows. Everyone picks three jobs (reset after about a year), and they can lot on pieces they want, until they're received enough to upgrade relic +3 (goes by armor slot), or they can pass if they don't want that piece. So for example, my three jobs are RDM, RNG, and THF, so I can lot on shards and void pieces for those jobs if I want, unless its for a slot that I've completed (I've finished RDM body to +3, so I can't lot any more RDM body pieces).

Pieces that are unclaimed are put up for bid. You can pay 1 Beastman medal to claim an unwanted shard or void piece. If multiple people want to buy the piece, they random, and the winner pays a medal and gets the piece. Medals payed are put into the pool of loot to distribute.

Medals (and other expensive drops, like crafting materials, or the base items for the neck pieces) are then randomed off to people that didn't get an AF drop, going from most valuable to least. If there's anything left after everyone has gotten something, everyone can lot on the remainder (and stop lotting if they win).

Finally, and left over relic pieces are random off to whoever wants them, either to use or sell at their discretion.

Since you're coming effectively as my mule, you don't get anything, but I imagine if you keep showing up, Manbeast misght start considering you an actual person (he and Wargod were already speaking of you in terms of what zone clears you needed to upgrade WHM relic armor).

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On the Telchine set, we can duo Alluvion Skirmish - Yorcia easily enough (it's kind of fun, basically a tower defense mini game x pokemon). One person stays at the base and summons creatures to protect the base and attack the enemy base, the other person runs around killing neutral mobs to get the points the first person needs to summon creatures. Depending on simulacrum we build to enter with, the skirmish has 3-5 floors, with the opposing forces getting stronger with each floor (neutral mobs stay the same).

Potential drops are pieces of unaugmented armor, wings (used to buy armor or weapons), and dusk or leaf stones (used to augment armor). Each piece of Telchine armor can potentially receive a +10% enhancing magic duration augment (50% for the full set), which is very nice (haste goes from 3 minute to 4.5 minute duration, bar spells go from 8 to 12 minutes, etc).

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Being a mule is pretty relaxing, and I'm happy to tag along and help out as I can. You'd mentioned having me work on the SMN neck piece next - how would I be pitching in as a SMN? Just pull Carby out and continue acting as a backup Healer? Or throw out Avatar buffs and send them to fight/mb when possible?

I think the answer to this is "no", but I figure I should check -> is there any option to see the de/buff icons on Alliance members? In the config I only saw an option for Party icons, but I know sometimes there's /commands that can do other stuff (like showing the TP for everyone).

Sinister Reign sounds fun too, though I recall you writing about having some nightmares getting through it before. It sounded like the fights can time out pretty easily?

Alluvion Skirmish on the other hand should definitely be doable. I managed to build a couple sets of skirmish gear on Slack (not particularly well augmented skirmish gear but at least it was better than Sparks gear). Stelli should definitely be able to do better than that (and I've got some stone stored up already....which now that I think about it, I really should be dumping into the Telchine legs I already picked up)

The other thing I've been noodling on is which job to CP on next. With SMN now over 550 is seems worthwhile to work on some of the others for a bit. WHM and RNG are both below 100 (maybe a handful of JP each), and DNC and BRD are over 100 but well short of 500. I'm tempted to look at WHM next - after a few deaths and waiting 5 mins for weakness to wear off Reraise IV is looking pretty nice to have. I'm guessing RNG gets some important stuff from CPing too though right?

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
RNG gets sort of basic buffs from CP, it just gets better at RNGing mostly, nothing really unique, like a new spell, or BP Delay III. At 500 J it can wear the Oshoshi gear, which has some nice Snapshot pieces, I guess. DNC, like RNG, mostly gets better at DNCing after 100 JP (at 1200JP you get the ability to hold 9 finishing moves). BRD doesn't get anything major until 1200JP, when it gets +5% song duration, which isn't that big a deal; the skill and magic accuracy buffs add up though.

It's always useful to get a job to 100JP, as that opens up Superior 2 gear (weapons mostly), which can be good, and Reraise IV is nice for WHM.

I tend to flit from job to job for CP, rather than focusing, since I can get bored playing the same job all the time, at least until I get closer to some break-point, like 550/1200/2100, or have a gear goal (Su3 armor, Su4 weapon, etc.).

Essentially, it's a long road whichever you choose, so just go with what's fun at the moment.

SMN in Dynamis has two basic tasks. Keep up Hastega II, Crystalline Blessing, and Earthen Armor, and help kill stones when there's a link and the CORs can't murder them all fast enough. On the boss stone, use Shiva and burst Heavenly Strike to help kill the boss; if you're in a party with a COR, between Heavenly Strikes, swap to Carbuncle and use Pacifying Ruby on the COR.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Think it's worth snagging the Ayamo +1 gear to go "melee WHM" for CPIng or will the Apex mobs be too hard to hit even with that on? (I'm fine with just WHM'ing it up but we don't seem to need a ton of healing in the CP parties usually.)

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Ayanmo +1 or 2 is fun to have, for all your Melee WHM and BRD needs, and should be enough to hit apex critters. The fish/crabs we usually do need about 1130 total accuracy to reach capped accuracy on them.

It's not something that's needed, but is more fun than just standing there, and Mystic Boon or Spirit Taker can keep your MP up without interrupting skill chains. It's how I got my WHM to 100 CP, more or less.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Weekend journal time!
- Unlocked Mystic Boon and Mordant Rime thanks to a MNK who was almost too strong for the job :D

- Sinister Reign'd up a set of very nice pants! (Enticer's Pant ftw!)...once I remembered that /WAR is not a great sub for BRD. I still can't believe we got through the first 3 wave version of the battle as just a duo! Your WAR has to be fantastically strong at this point - how do your think your WAR stacks up compared to other high tier WARs?

- Ambuscade was neat! After the first loss on Normal, sliding back to Easy seemed reasonable. I'm glad we decided to be unreasonable and stick it out on Normal though. The fight's felt a bit on the edge but we pulled through! Looking back I can see things I can do better - not letting the songs drop for example, and maybe using Piano more to keep the buffs up since getting close meant a lot of knockback interrupts.

- CPing as Melee WHM was fun too. Having Mystic Boon for when I needed MP and Moonlight for when the party did was cool and, when I had the mental bandwidth the try, bursting with Holy II was kind of neat (I think I saw a burst up around 4k, so not exactly a game changer, but cute at least).

- I did some testing last night too while waiting for Oboro to make up the Polyhymnia - I brought SMN out to Saruta to test out Blood Pact's on the Tiny Mandys (wanted to see what the Enticer's Pants top end was). I'd thought since the mobs were level 0 I would see consistently maxed damage but there was a pretty fair swing from 12.1k up to 13.6k with Ramuh dropping Thunderstorm on them. Shiva was similar too. I know on a Magic Burst that would be a lot higher but it was still interesting to see.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And you entered Dynamis-Divergence again and upgraded your DNC neck!

My WAR is probably, hmmm, B+/A-? I'm still missing some pieces of Weapons Skill damage gear. It's kind of an amorphous scale though. I'd say my DRG is still stronger.

The swing on the damage you saw might have been due to TP your avatars had, or possibly weather effects processing. Ideally you test with a freshly summoned avatar with 0 TP and use an avatar that's neutral with respect to any weather.

Top Bottom