• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro] [FFXI] So what are you doing now?

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yay!!! {Must resist urge to cut out of work early and log in to check my delivery box :D )

I picked up both the Odin and Cait Sith KI's in case we're ready for the High Tier fights this weekend. I figure I'll hit Reisenjima and collect up some more Merits in case we want to take a few stabs at it (I'm guessing I'm the only one who's max is less 75 at this point right?)

I've also got the three Herculean pieces enhanced up to the point where yesterdays rolls yielded no improvements - happily that seems to have left me with a pretty nice set of bonuses. 13k on Trueflight makes me feel like breaking out RNG when DNC's will be quite a viable choice!

Last edited:

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So...that was unexpectedly awesome last night!

I didn't manage to get on until 8:45 or so, and was thinking "I'm down to 18 merits, I should probably head out to Reisenjima and kill some frogs to make sure I have enough for some additional runs on Cait or Odin. I think DNC/THF's probably the most efficient job I have for that, but I could use the practice on RNG so I headed out after snagging Ionis and firing off an Echad charge.

Then Omen happened.

I've got to say that LS makes it look effortless. And that's with at least 3 of us being tag-alongs right?

In addition to the very nice free loot drops I picked up, Stelli's also now the proud owner of some Brioso Slippers +2! Three cheers for more song duration!

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They basically have Omen down to a science at this point, so it's pretty much an auto win. Grats on the very nice DNC and SMN earrings!

They noticed that you were in zone and asked if you were coming, so I asked if you could come, and so it was~!

Last edited:

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Journaling again -> Very neat weekend this time!

At some point early on I did manage to go Silt farming, this time with DNC. At about 100k in 30mins it was more lucrative than going as WHM but OMG were the paralyzes annoying. I eventually swapped in some trusts who could Dispel and Paralyna but it's definitely tempting to handle that myself in the future.

Saturday morning/afternoon(?) was CPing as BRD, which was a nice change of pace from the last few Melee WHM runs. The doomsday clock of letting the song buffs expire makes for a fun minigame, so long as I'm in the mood for a more active job. Building up a little aquarium of crabs for when I needed to reapply buffs helped there since it meant the pulling didn't have to be interrupted but it also made it easy to miss things like "hey, it's time to stop pulling" :D

In addition to getting a nice chunk of JPs for BRD, that capped me out on merits, which would prove to be very handy later on.

Saturday night was Dynamis-Divergence as SMN, which turned out to be a lot less hectic than BRD'ing. One early "mistake' was grabbing /WHM as my subjob in my haste to get ready. As we were gathering to go in I realized I wanted /RDM instead for Refresh but it was too late to switch. As it turned out though, that wasn't a completely horrible choice. /WHM let me knock off a number of Paralyzes though I suppose patience and letting the actual WHM get to it would have worked ok too.

Sunday was Reisenjima NM runs which netted a 2nd pair of Merlinic Dastanas. Odd thing there was during the fight against the Evil Eye (I think that was the one), Ramuh's Volt Strike was getting heavily resisted it seems - hitting for only around 3-4k. Same gear, same macros in the next fight on the Course(?) and it was hitting for about 12k.

Ambuscade Vol 2 was, predictably, easy. I'm trying to remember if we've figured out the strategy for beating Vol 1 yet?

From there, we hit up the crab mines again for some CPing, but not before I spent off my merits on raising my Max Merits to 60. That proved to be important as well later.

For CPing I went as RNG, which definitely still needs the love. Gear-wise it feels like I'm pretty decently setup for where I'm at. Actual player skill is still a thing to work on though and CP gifts would be nice to have too. Trueflight was bouncing around a lot in terms of damage, though it's top end was hitting for a bit over 10k which felt competitive with what I can do as DNC (not at all competitive with Vamprey of course who was hitting in the high 20ks but then I'm not a Master yet)

CPing ended with an invite to join the party doing Cait Sith, which I happily already had the key item for! The instructions for what to do as SMN were nice and simple and, I think, I managed to carry them out without any significant hitches. The first fight started before I had all the buffs up, and Cait was just a beast about murdering Fenrir as soon as he appeared, so getting the final buff on everyone was tricky, but it worked eventually.

Thankfully the fights were so quick that rebuffing was never an issue....except for Garuda's Hastega. I missed that Cait Sith had a Slowga which overwrites the Haste and thought it had just timed out on the first fight, so I recast it, except Garuda's Hastega II doesn't not overwrite Cait's Slow. For subsequent fights I waited and let the WHM knock off the Slow before reapplying the haste buff. (That's one area I could improve in I think, since the WHM would give a heads up in Discord when the Slow was gone, but that's something I could have been paying attention to on my own).

After the first fight, I'd gotten both the Ring and the Earring...and then we went again. This is where the various Merit stuff I did earlier in the weekend paid off. In the end we did 7 Cait Sith fights and if I hadn't pre-bought one and then earned up to 60 and then refilled, I would have had to miss out on the last couple of them. As it was, I was able to be there for all, and, I think, fulfill the duties of a SMN (including spamming Bio which is not a usual one but pretty easy nonetheless) without noobing it up.

The team was mentioning something, in another context I think, about the benefits of having LUA setups, especially for casting, but apart from that general idea I couldn't follow the exact details of why it was preferable. It sounded like LUA (which I'm guessing is Windower running .lua scripts?) makes gear changing easier somehow? Or automates more of the process?

So far I'm happy with equipsets and macros but it did leave me wondering if there is a level of performance that requires the additional options scripting brings? Or is it more of a case that the scripts merely make things simpler since they can have things pre-figured out and optimized?

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The lua stuff is next level stuff and requires running the non-SE supported windower and basically learning how to write or at least modify lua files. I don't use the windower, so I don't know about any of that stuff. I think Gon and Tang do. I think Ald uses the windower, but doesn't use luas.

As far as I can tell the main performance boost is making sure you always have the right gear on at the right time, with insane levels of customization (dozens of gearsets effectively per job).

Its way too much for me, so I just play the game using the tools SE gives us.

On /WHM for SMN, it's actually my preferred sub for fights where MP endurance isn't an issue (Dyna-D, lower tier Geas Fete), as the ability to chip in on status cures can be helpful, and /SCH (the compromise between /RDM and /WHM) doesn't get Stona or Cure IV (though Cure III in light arts can be about as effective as Cure IV with no native healing skill); if /SCH can stay in dark arts, and their are mobs with MP, Aspir can be a big help).

At any rate, grats on the ring, earring, and stone. Wargod said you did fine.

In aeonic news, we cleared three more level 150 bosses (we're flying through this aeonic run this time).

The first one, Erinyes went without a hitch. SMNs do a Mewling Lullaby rotation to keep its TP at zero, DDs (THF or /THF) get TP from Tacticians roll and Adloquiam and only engage to WS, the mob never gets a TP move off (pretty much a loss if that happens), and the mob dies.

The second one, the sandworm should be easy. Just never, ever skillchain, and don't do damage during one of the many instances where is absorbs damage.

This means DDs have to only use certain WSs that will never chain with each other. On the first run, Gon didn't get the memo and chained, and we lost. Second one, one of the other DDs hit the wrong WS macro, and we lost. Third time, after everyone was properly chastised and disabled any WS macroes except for their assigned one, we won.

The third one, Albumen the mandragora, requires an awake BRD. It was late and I screwed up and used Lullaby II instead of Horde Lulaby II, only slept one pet, and we lost. Second try, I got it right and we won.

Only two more to go. One of which, Schah the living chess game, is a long, but basically predictable fight, and is mainly a DPS check. The other, Zerde the king pudding, is a little luck based, as you must stun it on pop, trigger its weakness, and stun its summon allies move, and kill before the chance of a slip dooms the attempt.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cool on the lua scripting. I think I can live without millions of gearsets (especially if I can manage to keep my alt-job-itis from exploding like it usually does), so sticking with just what the game offers still seems viable.

Congrats on the 3 additional clears too! And it's strangely comforting to hear that even really experienced players can make mistakes. I think it's easy to fall into the notion (at least for me) that people working on top level content have to be essentially Olympic level performers when in practice it seems to be a lot more manageable than that. (I especially love the 2nd DD hitting the wrong macro for the second wipe - god is that sort of goof familiar across every MMO I've ever played).

I've been managing to get on and roll the Techniques for the 2nd Merlinics but so far no +Refresh (or -Perp). Sadly I'm going to be away tomorrow and Friday so I'll miss out on at least one set of rolls. I may also be tied up on Saturday, though I think I should at least be able to get the rolls done then. Sunday should hopefully be back to normal.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, I mean, I'm close to my third aeonic weapon, and I'm nowhere near Olympic level. Gonavan is a person who returned after 6 years away, around a year ago. Tanger is an old guy who has trouble reading text on the screen. Vamprey is another non-lua person like me.

And other people in makinbacon are like that too. There's a core of superhero level people (Manbeast, Mikkel, Mcj, Wargod, etc.) but at least half are just kind of people doing the best they can, like me.

Your BRD is basically as good as my BRD when I did my first aeonic run, and I was tasked with sleeping the Albumen's pets that run too. The only thing I had that you don't yet is the 1000s of kills in Escha zones to qualify to get a Super Revitalizer temp item to reset NiTro in the middle of the fight (and on this Albumen win, they murdered it before I had to).

Your SMN is better than at least one of the SMNs we've brought along.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wow! That is really nice to hear on BRD and SMN!

I'm still astounded at the range of power post-99. I think I'm used to it being more tiny incremental differences. Like "get the new Legendary Sword of Doom +7 and improve your dps by 1.25%" being a thing which would really distinguish characters. From the outside FFXI kind of looks like that's true here too with the bonuses being as scattered as they are, but seeing things in actual play really disproves that. I mean the Very Difficult Cait Sith fight looked easier than some of our Normal ambuscades and that was without noticing just how crazy the damage and healing they were putting out was.

It leaves me wondering too...how much farther can the super heroes go? Like with Manbeast having 10x Mythics, it's easy to imagine that there's simply no room for growth left but he's still out there plugging away, presumably for new gear that helps to some degree right? (I guess there's always the 11th Mythic, or work on jobs he's not deity class in yet)

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Some of it is further refinement, some is opening additional options, some is just for completeness sake.

Like, Manbeast has the Relic, Mythic, Empyrean, and Aeonic great katanas for his SAM. He, obviously, can only wield one at a time. Mostly he uses the Empyrean and the Aeonic, but he has the others if there's a niche use for them.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Managed to burn another 12 Techniques into the Merlinic Dastanas and get -5 per cost on them (still no refresh though).

That brings me to a total of -24 Perp cost if I use all the pieces I have access too (along with +7/+8 Refresh, depending on Unity Ranking). I think the highest Avatar cost is 15, and Perp can't reduce that below 1....so I'm guessing it would be worth ditching 10 points of -Perp for something else?

Top Bottom