• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro] [FFXI] So what are you doing now?

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Weekend notes!

Saturday was Corsair day. Started out around level 5 and finished up at level 50 using the typical leveling spots until I hit 40 I think? Aikireikinu's suggestion to try out the Worms in Escha-Zitah then shot me at light speed up to 50.

Turns out Vorseals are Ridiculously Overpowered for regular mobs and let you fight ITs like they're easy prey.

After that we jumped into an Vol 1 VE Ambuscade to get the another seal for last week. On VE the fight's pretty simple, though I think we lost the first time because the boss got off a chainspell Stun and I couldn't go any DNC healing. The second time though that wasn't an issue.

Sunday started with THF leveling, again abusing the heck out of Vorseals in Escha-Zitah. By the time 2:00 rolled around I'd gone from 50 to 76. The next 23 levels will probably be a little slower, but decent odds I think that I can make THF 99 by next weekend in time for CPing.

Since the group for Ambuscade was running a little, I took the chance to hit up Reisenjima for Merits in prep for the Cait Sith fights. Turns out Ambuscade gives a ridiculous amount of xps this month so that wasn't strictly needed, but still nice to have.

Once ambuscade got rolling, I then had to head back to Reisenjima since I'd used up the Vol 1 KI on Satu and had spaced on setting the quests when I was murdering frogs by the dozens.

Mistake #1: Charging into fight confident that I can Evisceration a few frogs to death and get right back to the group that was waiting. As DNC that's easily possible, and what I had just been doing for about a half hour. As SMN though? Yeah, SMN's aren't really great at deadly weapon skills. They really prefer to have their Avatars do the fighting for them. Sadly the mobs tend to object to calling for an avatar and SMNs are really really squishy.

Mistake #2: Remember to Summon Ramuh? Check! Charge forward because you're holding people up? Well, Mr Skeleton wants a word about that. As does Mr Mosquito, and Ms Fairie, and Mr Frog. Ramuh's good, but not that good.

One Tsunderecat to the rescue later and Ambuscade was ON!

Vol 1 Easy lived up to it's name with a pretty quick win first time we went in. Vol 1 Normal also lived up to it's name...in that it's normal for FFXI to murder the overconfident. We hit a few TPKs there until we swapped over to a 2 SMN strategy. Having two staggering Mewing Lullaby's seemed to be enough to spare us from the Frog Boss's murder hammer skill and we swept through a whole bunch more runs, racking up the most points I've had in months.

From there we shifted to Cait Sith fights, which I think we made it through without only a single TPK, and that was just poor luck on top of a disconnect. None of the wins produced the Crown or Hammer, but we did get somebody some of the other pieces I think (I've got the earring, ring, and ammo already).

With that one I think we're at the edge of what we can handle at the moment with Normal. Our fights were getting close to duration of the SMN buffs and if those need to be reapplied Cait Sith's going to go a long time without a Bio being cast on them, which I think means some ugly skills start getting used. Maybe if we had a back up Bio caster to cover the gap?

I eventually had Fenrir start attacking too, and while mp was somewhat tight I think there would have been room for at least a few Rage pacts to help speed things along.

Going forward, I've got THF to work on, first leveling, then questing up the AF, then CPing I guess?

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The main things you want for THF is the Relic hands, to ilevel 119 at least (+3 TH). And then Sandung (the job-specific dagger) from Oboro. That will put you at TH7. Grab a Thief's Knife off the AH and you'll have TH8 for farming up stuff (the max base TH, TH9+ only comes from getting a TH proc while meleeing).

The THF AF doesn't offer much until +2 (requiring Omen cards), at which point it adds critical hit damage on most pieces, which is nice for sneak attack and trick attack.

When you're ready, I can take you the top of Nyzule Isle to get the dagger you need to learn Mandalic Stab.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks! I'll snag the Thief's Knife when I get home tonight - might as well use it while leveling and get a little extra use out of it.

Nice to know too that the THF AF does offer something eventually. I was just figuring on picking it up because I have a "must dress appropriately for the class" compulsion which is currently using up six or seven different gear sets. :D

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hehe. I tend to just make a lockstyle set and use it on all jobs until I get tired of it and change it.

I spent 30 minutes yesterday questing up a pair of red sunglasses for my current look!

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I overestimated my available play time so far this week, but I did manage to log a bit last night which was enough to get me from 76 to 86!

Following my normal path I'd go for the Balayang's in Fei'Yin but this time I think I'll give a shot at the Eft in Escha-Zitah first and see if I'm closer to taking them down at a reasonable pace. If so that should be a nice express bus up to 99!

Also....it's Summer Fest! This is my favorite of the Vana'diel holidays, and this year I'm going to remember to actually pick up Mumor as a Trust to complete my DNC-troupe (me, Lilisette, Mayakov, Mumor, Uka, with Ulmia to provide something to dance to :D )

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Since the Escha-Efts proved to be a bit too strong for leveling (I could beat them but it was sloooow), my plan now is go for Balayangs up into the low 90s and then switch over to the Foret Crabs to finish it off.

The bats are nice since (I think) they're weak to piercing and they don't have the shell moves the Crabs do.

I didn't manage to pick up a Thief's Knife sadly - when I went to check there was 1 for sale and it was selling for something over 250k when the usual price is 200k. I've hunted it before though (on Slack) so I know where to do to get one and rather than feed someone who's price gouging I figure I'll just take a trip to Den of Rancor and murder an NM for bit (probably wait till 99 for that though to make it easier).

Ambuscade last night was fun. I'm wondering if we could have handled Difficult, but with the Doom move and the TP reset, burning the boss down at the end might have been tricky. I did feel good about *finally* remembering Avatar's Favor before I began with the Ward pacts though :D

Unrelated note: I'm still perplexed by Sylvie. So far whenever she's <99 I don't see her casting any GEO bubbles...or maybe anything really? I wonder if that's just part of her AI or if there's something else I'm running into.

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks for the Ambuscade help!

I should hopefully get ambuscade +1 gear and the tier 3 katana by the end of the week for ninja, which is nice.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Definitely! Especially if you're on Sunday and can join us for Intense Ambuscade (1200 points per Normal win). We just need to find you a place to kill toads for the key item.

I think there are some near the exit from Windy in West Sarutabaruta , but they're fairly low level. (49-52) which means you'd need to swap to a lower level job to get the KI when you kill them (mobs have to give XP to count). We can level sync down and help, or you can split off and kill them with trusts and then rejoin.

Top Bottom