Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
As promised, my review/playthrough of the game so you don't have to.

(For those of you with no idea why I'd do this, or what makes this game special, read on here. The tl;dr version; It's an adventure game which steals assets from many of the most famous titles in gaming, such as Oblivion, Thief 3 and Diablo 2. Plus a couple of movies. The full list is pretty long.)

I'll end up a mental patient for this, I just know it. Let's boot this bastard up.

"Forget reality. Surrender to your darkest dreams." In a really corny deep voice. I press start with trepidation.

He's screaming. I like to think it's "SPAAAAAAAWN!" which is where this particular video is from.

I like wallowing in the irony here.

Because every story needs to start somewhere. No matter how unrelated the beginning is to anything you do later.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
Re: [In which I play] Limbo of the Lost (warning; Picture intensive)

RPGnet, meet Arach.

To give you an idea of the animation quality; imagine a stop-motion picture made at home using nothing but screenshots. You'll meet Arach a lot, on many levels. He's the first instance of this particular character model, and it will see its use before this is all over.

And yes, he's apparently as spidery as his name suggests. He's locked up in a cell with us.

He decides he likes us. He immediately breaks with one tradition of the genre...

...and opens the cell with his fingernail, thus saving us the trouble. Gee, thanks.

He incidentally explains that our dear captain Briggs isn't alone down there; He has a friend. An "Earthly guide". For the slow among us, that would be you, the player. This means that he isn't insane when he talks to himself, he's actually whispering what he sees and feels to you.

That's another one dodged... I guess. Briggs does what comes natural to all humans in that situation.

He pokes us, going all like "whoah" and shit. I don't know how much more meta this can get.

Arach then gives us our first item...

...A worm he pulled from his ear. Nice.

Did I say first? I meant second! You start with one thing already in your to-be ridiculously voluminous pocket; our very own Doohickey McGuffin.

The Seal of Sufferance. All that info you get on looking at it is from the manual, which explains that Fate and Destiny (anthropomorphized, we assume) are having a bet, and Briggs is working for Fate using the Seal to ensure that mankind can choose its own destiny. Destiny wants all mortals to follow a set path and have no free will, which is apparently Fate's domain. Weird. Anyway, there's a book and Briggs has to put it together. No, we don't know why. We're not even sure why all this information isn't in the game, beyond "they were too lazy to do it". Apparently, humanity is fragile enough that a single book missing a piece of its cover can doom us for eternity. My disbelief suspenders aren't even going to try this one on.

Here we are, then. Our first screen. I probably won't have the testicular fortitude to do every single shot in the game (and your browsers will thank me for this), but I'll do the ones that come next just to show you how 80% of the goal-seeking in this game works; namely, walking through corridors.

But first, a look at the mechanics.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User

First, the save/load menu.

"Back to Hell" means keep playing the game. Oh the irony.

"Resurrection" is Load Game.

"Save your Soul" is Save Game. (I spots where this is imposible, this instead reads "Repent sinner your soul cannot be saved". Yeeeah.)

"End is Nigh" Is Quit. It calls to me.

Next, the action menu, or Ouija board.

This menu appears when you right click on something. It's buggy as hell, but here's the basics. The skull in the top left is "sense", meaning smell, taste etc. upper right skeleton is "action", meaning doing stuff. Lower left is the eye for "look", and the hand is "take."

The letters do stuff too; "O" opens the save/load menu, "S" saves, "L" loads and "Q" quits. "I" supposedly activates subtitles. No such luck. I have no idea why they made this "shortcut" when pressing ESC does it faster, but hey.

Putting your cursor hand (courtesy of Black & White) on top of the screen opens the inventory menu.

Might as well comment on the utterly useless compass in the lower right; usually it just goes round in circles, possibly to signify it's not working. However, whenever you mouse over an exit, it stops and points in a cardinal direction corresponding to where you're going. Why is this there? I have no clue. Must be an artifact of the game being originally designed for the Amiga.

I'll be posting more later (maybe today, maybe not), but on that note, let's start a little game! Try to name as many games as you can from the screenshots alone! post comparison pics if at all possible. See you then.

Last edited:

Agent Calavera

Jarate Master

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily said:
I'll be posting more later (maybe today, maybe not), but on that note, let's start a little game! Try to name as many games as you can from the screenshots alone! post comparison pics if at all possible. See you then.
Well...

I'm pretty sure this one comes from my nightmares.

Last edited:

Qooroo

Social Justice Spellthief
Validated User

This thread promises win and awesome the likes of which my small brain cannot begin to fathom.

Tylorva

Evil is the new Good
Validated User

I have popcorn! *shares it around to the other viewers*.

Temrek

Maximum HP is a lie
Validated User

Mmmm... digital popcorn.

I think I recoginze that cell from somwhere, but I am not sure from where. Still, I might be wrong as it is pretty generic.

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Subscribed.

Top Bottom