• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
Re: [In which I play] Limbo of the Lost (warning; Picture intensive)

That just about captures the vibe, yes.

Time to sack and loot.

Not alot to do here, unfortunately. There's an item though.

This game feels a lot like someone had an unhealthy fascination with glass containers.

Speaking of which, let's take a look at that soul cabinet.

Oh come on. Some of these aren't even jokes. "Arse soul?" And not a single soul of a poet? Disappointing.

Well, can't take them. Might as well move on to door number 3! Backtrack in progress. What new vistas shall I find?

We meet again, foe of mine. Reused a section again I see.

Again? Seriously? That one shot used three times with one word switched?

There is only one explanation; This section of the game was designed to look samey and boring deliberately, presumably to evoke a mood. No one stealing this much crap could have just sat down and done this unless it was completely deliberate. This is not a sign of lazyness, folks; This is just the sheer horrible Bad Crap shining through.

OH COME ON. Left.

Hm. What's this? A statue in my way?

...hi?

This thing sounds like it got its sound files from the Zerg in Starcraft. I'm not prepared to say it's that for certain, though, it just sounds similar.

This would be so much easier if you were the captain of the Enterprise. Just saying.

Thanks to the keeper's parchment, we have a clue on what to do here. Apply seal to statue! It's not dead or anything, and "loosen the tounges" clearly has nothing to do with language, but IT MAKES SENSE! YES!

I feel another boring conversation coming on.

evilmrhenry

RPGnet Member
Validated User

And another tunnel. And to me a familiar one, though once again I can't place it. Wolfenstein again? I remember being killed on a piece of scenery like this a few times, anyway.
It's from painkiller, as are most of the shots from this section. This includes the pictures of the bridge. (NOTE: that's a bit of a setpiece battle, and immediately recognizable. Are they *trying* to get caught?...)

Well, that's pretty unambiguous. The sign on the right says "leave wood here", and I promised myself I wouldn't make a Cranny Faggot crack but I seem to be failing.

Also, what's with those miniature coffins?

Well, not much for me to do here. I guess door number two is next. I trek back and enter doorway number two!
The miniature coffins are from painkiller, though there's enough photoshoppery that I can't tell for certain if the rest of the area is from there as well.

Liu Bei

Man of Virtue

This thread got linked from the Something Awful forums; that's why the page view shot up so quickly.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User

So how fierce is this statue character?

Not very. Sounds foppish, even. "Wacky" it is.

And gee, the soul of a warrior. We saw one of those earlier, didn't we? Easy. Of course, there's no explanation as to why, but it's patently obvious where to get it.

Unless you're Captain Benjamin Spooner Briggs. But he leaves all that thinky stuff to me anyway.

The designers, of course, thinks we're as thick as nails so they have to really hammer it in. Bastard even says it slowly. And they seem to have been a bit rushed on this one, because they skipped introduction altogether and tried to fuse shenanigans and info into some unholy monster of a dialogue.

I guess the last of the exploration is just about to be done. One branch left.

Fuck you, old faithful 5A. Fuck you.

And double for you, Briggs.

Is it.

But hey, stuff to do. That statue is holding something.

Will the puzzle for this be hard?

No.

Now, what you do here is, you use "action" on the statue, Briggs shakes it and the cup falls down. What it actually looks like is that briggs sort of clenches with his back facing the camera...

...and it just sort of *pops* off. I say it's dark powers.

Okay, so. Bugsy apparently won this trophy with the letters just sort of hanging in the air there for his creation the Woodgator in some unnamed contest, and decided that the thing to do was to place it here far away from his own section of Old Faithful where any old bastard can come along and take it by shaking his willy at the statue. And to top it off, wouldn't they take the time to stencil in his real name of Johnathan Rothbottom, what with this being official and all? And are there many insect mutators in limbo/ the underworld?

When it would have made more sense to leave it blank, you know something's wrong.

Can't be much more now.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User

Briggs is immediately distracted.

To be fair, a two-headed raven throwing insults is a pretty good attention gatherer.

I'm totally with you there.

This guy doesn't seem to like them, even though he stole Grunger's throne to sit in and chained himself to it to boot.

No really, go back and check. It's the same throne from a different angle.

Go say hi, Briggs.

Oookay, he's not happy.

He's chained to a chair, Briggs. What are you expecting?

That's right, folks. You can add another offence to the list; This guy is a native american stereotype, stilted speech and all.

Briggs comments on the bird being annoying, and offers to help.

Cutting edge of modernity and humour, that is.

I feel soaked in filth.

Axiomatic

I mix a coat
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I can't help but notice that no actual plot has emerged so far.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User

I can't help but notice that no actual plot has emerged so far.
Don't hold your breath is all I say. Plot won't be an issue for a while yet.

Moving along into the silly mess we're in now...

Yes, dammit. How.

Oh, and you're going to take all the credit here are you?

Fucking hell. This is horrible.

And this is about as close as we can get without jamming ourselves up his nose. That's a whole lot of emotion being expressed through closeup, that is.

In fact, they're making a huge deal out of the good captain making friends with Blackhawk there. I left out about seven or eight shots of dialogue that were nothing but "You can trust my word" and "that's a good strong name" and shit on top of shit.

I want to finish this fast and leave. I hate this part worse than Old Faithful. First, we need something to get that Raven away. I have an eyepatch and a glass eye, which together form...

A makeshift sling. And a "story you once read", Briggs? How very religious of you!

Briggs, of course, proves to be an excellent shot with said weapon.

Even if he doesn't use it like a sling at all, but rather a slingshot. So much for the biblical references.

I wish I could express in few enough words how terrible this animation is. Someone else will likely rip it, but damn.

Er, thanks.

Is he trying to tell me something?

Well, at least he looks happy.

We're edging closer to the end of this chapter. Slowly but surely. Note how much of this has been actual puzzle-solving.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User

Alright, I'm going to bloody finish this.

First, we want to get all the stuff we couldn't get until now. Remember the pot of oil near the Sawdust, sawdust, sawdust?

I can't use glass containers on it for mysterious reasons, but a golden trophy is fine. And that's no oil, that's sleep snot again!

Next, the glass grub thing. For mysterious reasons I couldn't keep it in the golden trophy, but must instead contrive a way to keep it in a glass jar. Fortunately, we have a powerful sleeping agent in our pocket.

Ta-dah. I'm not sure this wouldn't normally kill it, but whatever. I then go pick it up.

Again, ta-dah. I don't know how exactly this helped Briggs to pick the thing up, though. Now for the soul of the warrior.

We have a green bottle which is exactly right to switch the soul for, and it's full of water, but...

...yeah. My feelings are expressed. So now I need to go talk to the keeper. Remember how I can switch items at his table? Well...

Here's the saffron. Mix that into the water...

To get...green... water...

Hrngh.

which we then switch for...

the soul of a warrior. Complete with a Terminator 2 reference. You've been a naughty cultist, Briggs, catching glimpses of the future.

One last thing we need to do. I'll just set up a nice trap...

And we can go woodgator hunting.

And hey! Guess how many sections of Old Faithful I had to cross for all this! All of them!

Ain't life swell?

Last edited:
Top Bottom