[Necro] Jim Ward is Ruining Troll Lord Games

TheGrognard

Retired User
I don't normally post in internet forums (I am more of a lurker) but this subject has my hackles up so much that I decided to break my silence.

Jim Ward is ruining Troll Lord Games.

Before you write me off as a typical internet troll, let me provide some evidence. For my first exhibit, I give you Of Gods & Monsters. I picked the special edition up at Gen Con. It's horrible. It reads like it was written by a 12-year old. It has literally DOZENS of errors in grammar and game mechanics. It is filled with spells and magic items that are laughably unbalanced when compared to the core rule set. It may have a few nuggets of useful information, but they are hidden under a mound of steaming feces.

For me second exhibit, I give you the the Tainted Lands. It's like a mentally challenged version of Ravenloft. Wait a minute - I take that back. That's an insult to both the mentally challenged and Ravenloft. Don't believe me? Check out Darren Maclennan's review HERE.

Next up is the esteemed Mr. Ward's editorial stint on the Crusader Journal. It is my understanding that he arbitrarily terminated some features and inserted others, all without regard for what the fans actually wanted. In doing so, he has alienated contributors and hurt the publication.

Troll Lord Games needs to terminate their relationship with Mr. Ward while they can still do some damage control. I have no idea how much influence he has in the company but I can only hope it is slight. Doesn't Steve remember the fiasco that was Fast Forward Entertainment? Does he really want that for TLG?

If you like me, are a fan of Castles & Crusades, please let the Troll Lords know about your concerns. Jim Ward has got to go. Blog about it. Email them. Do whatever it takes. Mr. Ward is an albatross around the neck of the company.

Thank you,

Scott Lee

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
Re: Jim Ward is Ruining Troll Lord Games

I have zero stake in this matter. I'm just here for the almost certain flamewar and the review by MacLennan, always entertaining.

They warm the cold recesses of my withered heart.

smascrns

Banned

Thank you for the update Scott. And no, I'm no C&C fan, that's why I keep asking myself, what's this thread doing here? Shouldn't you be writting directly to Troll Lord Games? I guess so.

PS Jim Ward and Troll Lord Games have all the right to ruin their games, if it pleases their taste and sense of fun. And you have all the right to shift to another game and the products of another game company. There are plenty of DD look-a-likes to the point you can't tell one from its neighbour no matter how closely you look. C&C is just one in the lot, you'll be able to find a simile realy fast.

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User

The review was pretty funny, as expected.

Novatian

Validated User

PS Jim Ward and Troll Lord Games have all the right to ruin their games, if it pleases their taste and sense of fun. And you have all the right to shift to another game and the products of another game company. There are plenty of DD look-a-likes to the point you can't tell one from its neighbour no matter how closely you look. C&C is just one in the lot, you'll be able to find a simile realy fast.
I'm a pretty big fan of C&C. I have the majority of products produced for it so far, and despite the fact that the editing sometimes makes me want to scream in frustration, generally appreciate the overall quality of the work. My players enjoy it too. So if crappy products are suddenly coming out for it, that affects me. One of the things the OP mentions as poorly done is the book Of Gods and Monsters. That was on my "to buy" list, and costs $30. Now it's on my "wait and look for a couple of serious reviews" list, because I'm not shelling out $30 for something that I've been given a heads up might be really bad.

Basically, when someone has become accustomed to playing a particular game, they don't like it when the quality of that game seems to be taking a dive, especially if they think they can pinpoint a reason why that is easily fixed. Why am I even having to explain this on RPG.net? And if you think all "DD look-a-likes" are the same, so that "you can't tell one from its neighbour no matter how closely you look," why would you post in a thread about one? And why is this thread in TRO instead of the d20 forum?

And why the hell am I getting all worked up about a perfectly ordinary post in a thread about an RPG when I'm so friggin' hungry and there's a delicious grilled spam and cheese sandwich awaiting me?

Doyo

Retired User

Before you write me off as a typical internet troll, let me provide some evidence. For my first exhibit, I give you Of Gods & Monsters. I picked the special edition up at Gen Con. It's horrible. It reads like it was written by a 12-year old. It has literally DOZENS of errors in grammar and game mechanics.
Well if you are in the know, then you do know that the actual hardback has fixed these problems. If it bothers you that much, contact TLG and tell them you would like to trade the soft back in for a hardback. They have done it for others, I don't see why they wouldn't do it for you. I hope you do realize that this kind of stuff isn't exclusive to TLG. I would really like to know if there has ever been a rpg that hasn't had errata (There might be with smaller low page rpgs but I am making a comparison with rpgs of a similar size.) Even Hasbro, who have dozens of employee's and professional editors and books that go through many hands before being published has many of these same problems. See also Mongoose.
It is filled with spells and magic items that are laughably unbalanced when compared to the core rule set. It may have a few nuggets of useful information, but they are hidden under a mound of steaming feces.
I assuredly will not discourage anyone from having their own personal opinion, I actually find it beneficial. I like some of TLG's stuff but I am not a rabid fanboy that defends everything they do and can be just as cynical. But, really a statement like that doesn't show passion, it really takes away from your message. See your 12 year old remark above and apply it to the bold part above.
For me second exhibit, I give you the the Tainted Lands. It's like a mentally challenged version of Ravenloft. Wait a minute - I take that back. That's an insult to both the mentally challenged and Ravenloft. Don't believe me? Check out Darren Maclennan's review HERE
.Again, other than the link to Mr. MacLennan's review I'm sure there could have been another way you could have posted about that. By this time it is hard to take you seriously sorry. I would like to thank you for the link though, I was looking at buying Tainted Lands, but Mr. MacLennan's review is quite good and he is a trusted reviewer. Enough to turn me off to what should have been an awesome addition to the TLG line.
Next up is the esteemed Mr. Ward's editorial stint on the Crusader Journal. It is my understanding that he arbitrarily terminated some features and inserted others, all without regard for what the fans actually wanted. In doing so, he has alienated contributors and hurt the publication.
I'll just add that this is all YMMV or The Grognard's IMO. There are circumstances that some of the early articles are not continued other than Mr.Ward ditching them. I'm sure The Grognard doesn't have some kind of inner scoop (See the bolded) that makes this fact and not just his opinion.

There are many of us that think the latest issues are quite well done, though some of them have layout problems and regurgitated art (Some even badly pixelated from making them bigger and obviously falls under public domain) but most of the art isn't that bad. Especially the most recent issues.

If you like me, are a fan of Castles & Crusades, please let the Troll Lords know about your concerns. Jim Ward has got to go. Blog about it. Email them. Do whatever it takes. Mr. Ward is an albatross around the neck of the company.
I hope that you are taking your own advice here. If anything TLG is always open to constructive criticism because it is their desire to make products that people want.

As, far as everything else said by TheGrognard he has valid complaints if you can weed through the vitriol. I don't share them about Mr.Ward but it doesn't invalidate how I or he feels.

I do hope that TheGrognard does enjoy other TLG offerings and isn't trying to paint all of TLG with the same brush. :)

Last edited:

Novatian

Validated User

Well if you are in the know, then you do know that the actual hardback has fixed these problems.
I'm not in the know, and didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up (though I'm still going to hunt for a serious review somewhere before buying now).

TheGrognard

Retired User

I'm not in the know, and didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up (though I'm still going to hunt for a serious review somewhere before buying now).
I do not believe the hardback has been released. I am not sure how Doyo can know that it has fixed the special edition's problems...

Novatian

Validated User

I do not believe the hardback has been released. I am not sure how Doyo can know that it has fixed the special edition's problems...
Perhaps he went to the TLG site and asked on the forums or something. The owners do post there, and there's at least one thread specifically on this particular book. I haven't read through all the stuff there though.

Doyo

Retired User

Because I frequent the TLG forums and it was from the horses mouth there. :)

I'm not in the habit of just saying anything. ;)

Top Bottom