• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro]Mongoose doing Runequest?

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei
Re: Mongoose doing Runequest?

Jason Durall said:
Chaosium is definitely holding onto the rights to the BRP system, and Issaries, Inc. has the rights to Glorantha, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what "RuneQuest" means in this instance.

Equally confusing is the announcement that Mongoose has the rights to use the Tri-Stat system, and their solicitation for ideas on what to do with it.
However, it's my understanding though, that Greg (i.e. Issaries) has the rights to the trademark "RuneQuest" so...

Me, I love me some RuneQuest (though I admit, I am pretty married to the HeroQuest view of Glorantha). Maybe some gritty ElseWorld needs playing in.

Voriof

smascrns

Banned

As Voriof wrote, Greg Stafford is supposed to have the rights for the "RuneQuest" trademark. It seems that he intended to use it in the Gloranthan context, given the past history of that name.
In the other thread about RuneQuest Matt mentions the possibility of doing an Arthurian version of the new RQ. Now, Greg is working on a new edition of Pendragon. I can hardly see how he would be interested in having someone else writting down a competing game... with a name he owns.
Finally, RuneQuest means BRP. RuneQuest without BRP is a lame duck (pun intended). It's like D&D without classes and alignments. Of course, Mongoose will not be able to come out with a BRP game since Chaosium is working on a new BRP and, needless to say, why would they want someone else to come with a competing product?

All of this is very confusing and looks a lot more like a prank than an actual project. If and when the details and explanations are sort out I'll may contribute to the project. But at this stage it simply seems to be someone playing with people in RPGnet.

David Johansen

Banned

The amazing thing about the internet is how often the dumbest thing I ever heard of gets trumped.

BRPless RuneQuest...next you'll be using d20 for Dungeons and Dragons :rolleyes:

SJE

Bibliomancer
Validated User

I dont see the problem- you can have a RQ Glorantha being published simultaneously with a HQ Glorantha, presumably Greg Stafford has leased the rights to Glorantha and the RQ name to Mongoose. And Pendragon is owned by WW, so even if Stafford writes the game, he wont be paid as a percentage of sales, just a flat salary. If RQ Arthurian takes off, then he will receive the lisence payments from those books, so he has every interest in spreading the Arthurian love around.

As for BRP, lets face it, Chaosium are perennially broke and would probably lisence BRP to anyone that asked and paid them. But you could still do a percentile game for RQ without BRP if needed- rename some stats, change some mechanics but keep the percentiles.

Anyways, since it isnt April 1st and Mongoose Matt is well known on these forums, then I'd say this is a reality and one that will be going ahead with Mongooses typical breakneck speed!

SJE

smascrns said:
As Voriof wrote, Greg Stafford is supposed to have the rights for the "RuneQuest" trademark. It seems that he intended to use it in the Gloranthan context, given the past history of that name.
In the other thread about RuneQuest Matt mentions the possibility of doing an Arthurian version of the new RQ. Now, Greg is working on a new edition of Pendragon. I can hardly see how he would be interested in having someone else writting down a competing game... with a name he owns.
Finally, RuneQuest means BRP. RuneQuest without BRP is a lame duck (pun intended). It's like D&D without classes and alignments. Of course, Mongoose will not be able to come out with a BRP game since Chaosium is working on a new BRP and, needless to say, why would they want someone else to come with a competing product?

All of this is very confusing and looks a lot more like a prank than an actual project. If and when the details and explanations are sort out I'll may contribute to the project. But at this stage it simply seems to be someone playing with people in RPGnet.

glorantha1

Validated User

smascrns said:
Correct. We have licensed the trademark to Mongoose.
The Glorantha-based game will be dependant upon Issaries approval.
A RQ-based Arthurian game, historically-oriented, is quite different from the Malory-based Pendragon.
The game will be the same system, not the same copyrighted words.
It is not a prank. Announcement on the glorantha.com web site soon.

Look, RQ is down and gritty, HQ is cinematic and epic. Issaries will have some sort of conversion notes for using the Mongoose RQ materials, when they are out.

Finally, we are still discussing exactly when and where the Mongoose Glorantha game will be.

- Greg Stafford

S. John Ross

Husband • Cook • Writer
Validated User

glorantha1 said:
The game will be the same system, not the same copyrighted words.
That's entirely legal, of course ... Game systems aren't protected by copyright, only the text within them that constitutes a creative expression. But legal matters aside, that still seems to leave a tangle of moral and ethical concerns.

Systems inspired and plainly influenced by existing systems, sure ... Mechanical chunks lifted from game A and married Frankenstein-fashhion to chunks from games B and C ... That's the history of the hobby, of course. But "The game will be the same system, not the same copyrighted words" implies wholesale lifting on a scale we haven't seen before.

Unless I misunderstand (and I dearly hope I do), that's a little worrying.

Mongoose_Matt

Grand Master of Mongooses
Validated User

smascrns said:
All of this is very confusing and looks a lot more like a prank than an actual project.

David Johansen said:
The amazing thing about the internet is how often the dumbest thing I ever heard of gets trumped.
Now you see, this is why games companies generally do _not_ visit forums and discuss ideas for games during development.

A while ago, I discussed the possibility with the PTB of RPG.net of designing a game from the ground up via the site itself, with anyone able to pitch in. We considered it more recently for RQ as well. In the end, we decided to just run the flag up and get anyone interested to contact us via email, making the development only semi-open. Any guesses why? :)

Seriously guys, saying that a games writer is pulling a prank or is dumb is not going to encourage them or anyone else to be more open about their work. I think that is a shame. It is also a little rude but maybe that is just me.

The new RQ will look, smell and feel like the old. Does a system have to be exactly the same as the old in order to retain its flavour? Is there really no room for new ideas? You can be a part of this process, get in on the act and pitch in. You really can make it your game. Alternatively, you can slag off a game a year before it comes out and before serious development begins.

Come on guys - which is better?

Wiseblood

Behold!

Well Matt, internet smart-asses aside, I like the idea. I'm not a Glorantha fan (nothing against it, just doesn't do anything for me), but if there was a mythic earth type setting I'd be all over it. I'd prefer it more generic than King Arthur though.

ShinDangaioh

Retired User

Avalon Hill created a Mythic Earth map and did nothing with it. Mongoose should get that map and work with it, to create a new setting.

My guess is that Mongoose is taking the AH edition of Runequest and adding to it and streamlining it. AH did add a bit more magic to the game with sorcery. AH Runequest is not BRP, but a similar system.(AH tops off at SR10 compared to Chaosium's SR12)

Magic was always the weakest part of Chaosium Runequest.

Top Bottom