• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Necro]Posthuman Studios 'fires' MRA fans and won't have MRA discussion on forums

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User
Re: Posthuman Studios 'fires' MRA fans and won't have MRA discussion on forums

This is me, not disagreeing at all. Before I knew more about him, I purchased some of his products, and feel amazingly shitty about it. I know good folks that have worked for him and are absolutely terrified that they might catch some of the rightly-deserved criticism leveled at him despite it just being work for hire.
Yeah, I honestly wish I had never learned anything more about him, then I could just write off the books I've bought by him as bad products. But no, he has explained himself too well.

Still, at least he's good enough at generating his own controversy, there's not that much left to stick to people who merely worked for him on things.

Fruitbat

social justice witch
Validated User

Well, if they worked on a product he is rightly criticised for...then, yeah, it's deserved if they get criticized too. You are responsible for what you create, even if it's work-for-hire. It's ridiculous to hide behind some 'I was just doing what the client asked' defense.
Context matters, though.

If you wrote an essay on, say, the courtship rituals of various sentient races, that happened to be included in the same book as "summon sex partner"... well, it's not really your fault what the other writer wrote, it wouldn't be fair to criticize you for a part of the product you had no control over.

If you just happen to have written for Desborough's label, or Chronicle City, then your work can be judged on it's own merits.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User

Context matters, though.

If you wrote an essay on, say, the courtship rituals of various sentient races, that happened to be included in the same book as "summon sex partner"... well, it's not really your fault what the other writer wrote, it wouldn't be fair to criticize you for a part of the product you had no control over.

If you just happen to have written for Desborough's label, or Chronicle City, then your work can be judged on it's own merits.
Yeah, I'm not saying the middle should be excluded or that it's black and white. Criticism can still be made of people who did work for hire under crappy financial circumstances, but that doesn't imply that it's going to be the same level of criticism as Desborough earns. Mitigating circumstances do tend to mitigate criticisms. :)

Jim Hague

Foreign Agent
Validated User

Well, no, but it rather changes the reflection on the person. "Yeah, this book's horrible, but I need food" is different from "This book is awesome and I stand by it". The fact Jim speaks that they're terrified of being associated suggests that they're not on the "Fuck yeah misogyny!" side of the spectrum.
They're very, very, very much not on that end. Pretty much the opposite. I won't mention their name, because they're a member here.

DisgruntleFairy

Validated User

I wish to support Posthuman Studios with all the monies. I've owned the core book a few years, what else should I get? I've never ran it, but am very interested now.
Well the books Sunward and Rimward would likely bet he next best additions. But there is a Gatecrashing book that is cool too if your into that.

You can grab the pdfs that are available online for free and see what you like.

MemoryBeast

Can I be your familiar?
Validated User

I went and bought Transhuman pretty much solely to support Posthuman for this move. I almost never get a chance to play EP, although I enjoy the books just for the read, and Transhuman isn't disappointing there.

Corum

Validated User

People can do with their forums as they wish but I am curious - would a conservative Muslim with views in opposition to Western feminism also be banned? Was the ban about MRA types being obnoxious or aggressive in stating their beliefs or is it about the beliefs themselves?

This and later posts by this user have already resulted in a thread ban; additional reports are superfluous. As always, we ask that everyone not engage with the posts of threadbanned users. -hk

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeNotCharles

Validated User

People can do with their forums as they wish but I am curious - would a conservative Muslim with views in opposition to Western feminism also be banned? Was the ban about MRA types being obnoxious or aggressive in stating their beliefs or is it about the beliefs themselves?
Why should being Muslim allow you to be shitty to women?

Corum

Validated User

Why should being Muslim allow you to be shitty to women?
It depends on how you define 'shitty', which is sort of the point of my question. Also, just to be clear, I find the MRA movement distasteful. My question, however, is geared towards determining what other viewpoints would be banned.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User

It depends on how you define 'shitty', which is sort of the point of my question.
Isn't that rather disingenuous of you? Are you suggesting that conservative Islam is shitty to women, and might be worthy of being banned, or are you suggesting that the Posthuman Studios folks would ban conservative Muslims from their forum for ideological reasons rather than because they were being shitty to women? Or is there some other thing I'm missing? I hope there's some other thing about your coy hypothetical that I'm missing.

Top Bottom