• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[necro]Sell me on OneDice?

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User
Alright, so I have heard a lot about this game and all of its supplements but I do not know a lot about it.

So, whats the story?

Ben Dutter

Sigil Stone Publishing
Validated User
Re: Sell me on OneDice?

Here are some other threads for reference. I think it is a fun, neat little system that doesn't require a lot of creative strain on the players or GM. It is a good universal RPG to introduce people into roleplaying games.

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User

I have already come across those threads. I was hoping to get more of a review type of answer. I am a hardcore Risus fan (love that little game) but the concept of this has intrigued me.

doomedpc

Validated User

Thanks for the interest :)

There are some reviews up on Drivethru of OneDice Steampunk, OneDice Universal, OneDice Airship Pirates, and OneDice Pirates & Dragons.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_reviews.php?manufacturers_id=4595

I won't give my own review as I'm biased (what with having wrote most of the OneDice books!) - but I'll answer any specific questions about the system :D

I've also been working on pulling together some Quickstart rules, to give folks a feel of the game - which include an example of play, a mini fantasy adventure, and a mini space solo adventure. Once it's available, I'll let you know!

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User

Thanks for the interest :)

There are some reviews up on Drivethru of OneDice Steampunk, OneDice Universal, OneDice Airship Pirates, and OneDice Pirates & Dragons.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_reviews.php?manufacturers_id=4595

I won't give my own review as I'm biased (what with having wrote most of the OneDice books!) - but I'll answer any specific questions about the system :D

I've also been working on pulling together some Quickstart rules, to give folks a feel of the game - which include an example of play, a mini fantasy adventure, and a mini space solo adventure. Once it's available, I'll let you know!
That would be awesome. Could you just give me the jist of how it works and the health and wound system? I also sent you guys an e-mail regarding a specific situation.

doomedpc

Validated User

Ooh, the email has probably gone to Ken - I'm sure he'll forward it to me at some point.

General gist is simple - roll one six-sided dice, add modifiers (Ability+Skill) and beat a Target Number. Health is derived from Strong; Defence is derived from Quick or Strong. If you roll to hit, you do it vs Defence - if you are successful, damage is the difference + according to weapon.

There is more depth - Stunt Points, vehicle and chase rules, a variety of bestiaries, genre backgound, default settings, Experience systems, hazards, etc. - but that is the essence of the game. Each OneDice book adds lots of new options (equipment lists, creatures, professions, backgrounds, extra Skills, Abilities, Talents, Magic, Cyber, etc., as required by the genre/setting). The books often include skins to add twists to the game setting (so, for example, you can mix and match any combination of horror, science fiction and Swords and Sorcery to Pulp, etc. - in fact, as they are all compatible, you can mix and match pretty much whatever you want).

I designed the game to be accessible to new players and for one-off games - but the system has proved very versatile and robust enough to run longer campaigns.

Last edited:

grey_tarot

Validated User

I've a quick question concerning stunt points. I've had a bit of an issue around this type of rule, as I find that it leads to out of game "pushing luck" decisions...'should I use the points now or hold on until later, as I don't know what else is coming?' and worry about running out. Is there a way to "refresh" or gain stunt points in game? Or how do the rules deal with problems of running out of points when you may really need them later.....
Cheers

doomedpc

Validated User

I've a quick question concerning stunt points. I've had a bit of an issue around this type of rule, as I find that it leads to out of game "pushing luck" decisions...'should I use the points now or hold on until later, as I don't know what else is coming?' and worry about running out. Is there a way to "refresh" or gain stunt points in game? Or how do the rules deal with problems of running out of points when you may really need them later.....
Cheers
Generally the game advises 6 Stunt Points, which mostly get used to avoid hits, succeed at non combat rolls, make deadlier attacks, perform stunts, etc., although there is a more story telling optional rule included. 6 is the recommended amount in most of the books, and works for a one shot with a few encounters..but... I'd say if you are planning to do a large dungeon bash or similar, then you might want to give more (say 12) - this is what we reccommend in the books. You could alternatively allow a chance to replenish (like Health and Spells, etc.). Another solution would be to award them when folk do something really awesome. Conversely, you might want to only give 3 or 0 points, if you want to play a very gritty game (although I suspect it might get messy very quickly).

We found in Pirates & Dragons (D100) that the Doubloons (Stunt Points) were used a lot more than Hero Points in some of our other games - partly because they do more shiny things and partly because they tend to be needed (and are replenished at the start of each game). If you spend them all and have none left it is a problem, but on the other hand it does encourage players to think about their use, rather than spending them on the first minion that pops up!

Last edited:

Shenron007

The Last Paladin
Validated User

Generally the game advises 6 Stunt Points, which mostly get used to avoid hits, succeed at non combat rolls, make deadlier attacks, perform stunts, etc., although there is a more story telling optional rule included. 6 is the recommended amount in most of the books, and works for a one shot with a few encounters..but... I'd say if you are planning to do a large dungeon bash or similar, then you might want to give more (say 12) - this is what we reccommend in the books. You could alternatively allow a chance to replenish (like Health and Spells, etc.). Another solution would be to award them when folk do something really awesome. Conversely, you might want to only give 3 or 0 points, if you want to play a very gritty game (although I suspect it might get messy very quickly).

We found in Pirates & Dragons (D100) that the Doubloons (Stunt Points) were used a lot more than Hero Points in some of our other games - partly because they do more shiny things and partly because they tend to be needed (and are replenished at the start of each game). If you spend them all and have none left it is a problem, but on the other hand it does encourage players to think about their use, rather than spending them on the first minion that pops up!

That sounds cool - is there rules in the books for what you have mentioned above? I know you also mentioned extended campiagn play - I would want to use it for an extended campaign. How does it fair? What are the systems for the type of play.

Do you have a direct e-mail?

doomedpc

Validated User

Yes, all the games are standalone - OneDice Universal has the basic rules and 3 skins (Fantasy, Space and Supers). The genre books include genre specific extras. For instance, OneDice Cyberpunk has a Cyber ability (which is used to navigate and act in cyberspace); a default setting (with 8 Corp and a description of the way society works and appropriate background list, etc.); all sorts of equipment, including bio-enhancements, cyber-enhancements, etc.; machine world and post apocalypse skins, etc. OneDice Fantasy has a Magic Ability; various magic schools; profession related Talents awarded as characters level up; dozens of creatures; and a default setting with three different fantasy eras. And really that's just the tip of the iceberg - I try to pack lots of shiny options into each book, but so they work together for each genre, rather than for the sake of it. So if you want Pulp with a cosmic Horror skin, there is a Sanity system included, but it isn't repeated in the other books, where it would be of less use.

There's a choice of two experience systems (one using levels, the other using Improvements buy).

You should be able to get me on pete@clockworkandchivalry.co.uk

Top Bottom